by Midget3k

Original Post

Re: Please don't ruin BF2042 with a woke chat filter

★★★ Apprentice

SNOWFLAKE!

Message 61 of 85 (503 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@opsis_1 Do you even know what that term means?
Message 62 of 85 (474 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@opsis_1 Whilst I understand you problems with the chat filter.

Some form of it should be there. I've got absolutely no problems trading insults whilst playing, as unoffensive banter.

Personally I keep it 99% to VOIP/Discord as I can judge if I have gone too far etc and are generally talking to people you know.

Let's be honest, I've gamed for many years and some of the tripe I've been written in a chat box should be banned. Some it funny, some if shocking and offend me but I understand why it would offend others. I'm definitely too old for Snowflake gen, I can take the insults in good humour, but sometimes I think - "my kids are gaming and reading this stuff".

It can be atrocious, just because I can put up with it doesn't make it acceptable.

I think we need some filter, but can agree it needs to be dialed down a little....

Message 63 of 85 (463 Views)

★ Apprentice
@JABUKI_68 you still don't get it.

you arn't a battlefield player, you should play the game at all.

With the BF V woke chat filter you can't write ingame proper sentences.

I just hope BF2042 don't use it.
Message 64 of 85 (404 Views)

★ Apprentice

+1 I second that. The chat censor absolutely ruined the game. Freedom of speech is imperative to make it an only in Battlefield moment. Also blood. I don't know if they will change it or whatnot but there needs to be a sufficient amount of blood in the game. Blood pools, spatter and for melee. Blood spots on the outfit when there is a melee take down would be a huge bonus as well. Yeah BFV was ruined by the aforementioned short commings. So was BF1 with the poof of blood. lol Just a poof, barely noticeable.

Message 65 of 85 (367 Views)

★★★★ Pro

This has been said in a few other threads, but there are few things more ironic than people calling "snowflake" or other anti-woke terms (the bile rises just using these damn terms as they're all inane) because other people don't want to see racist slurs or blatant bigotry/constant idiotic spewing of random "hot" topics/20-year old memes and want a filter in.

I don't disagree with having a "filter off" option (and i'd probably keep it off myself if it's there), but that they hardcode a few things to just not be ok should not be that much of a stretch for people to understand, yet somehow it is.

So, even though freedom of speech is completely irrelevant inside a game with a ToS, since it's usually the favorite thing to hide behind, I'll simply put this.

Any freedom comes bundled with taking responsibility for your actions.

You read the ToS and still decide you feel like you should be able to break the rules because you're you and you disagree, you should be thrilled that freedom in it's purest sense worked just as intended.

If you felt like spamming the N-word (as an example) and got banned because the owners of the property exercised their freedom and booted you out of their place, or just took away your ability to act in a way they don't appreciate in *their* property, it's working as intended.

Your "banter", which was really threatening to swat another player or constantly spamming someone's profile because you happened to catch a female voice on chat got you in trouble, again, I'll damn near applaud if i see the ban message.

These kinds of things are why filters get worse and worse.

Nobody sane has an issue with normal game banter, but that's not what they mold those filters to stop, and those insanely aggressive chat filters are usually there because people were hell bent on getting around them with the usual number/letter/symbol workarounds and so in an attempt to keep the mods sane, they just blanket ban anything remotely close to the most offensive words or combination of symbols to re-create them.

If this process is too hard to understand, and the cause/effect cycle here isn't a giant hint as to *why* filters are the way they are right now, re-evaluate your stance on the concept of woke and snowflakes or "taking away my freedom" if that's what you think is driving more and more aggressive filters.

Especially in the case of the latter, you've got the chain of events backwards.

In fact, be sure to thank your anti-woke fellows, as they're the reason you can't type a full sentence or banter or act like a xenophobe, not the so-called snowflakes, they blocked you or left ages ago.

And no, i don't tend to block people either, i prefer to know who the complete muppets are, but i fully understand why quite a few don't want to put up with the cesspool that is general chat most days.

Message 66 of 85 (343 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@JABUKI_68 While I agree with the sentiment, "toxic" gamers are part and parcel with gaming as a whole. Sad reality. Isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.
Message 67 of 85 (335 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Fringerunner Chat filter off<<<.
Message 68 of 85 (297 Views)

A chat on/off option is just a bandaid - a more robust filter and, y'know, people putting minimal effort into not being losers online would be a great leap forward.

One of the posts above mentioned more blood and gore - while it'd be more immersive, it has the potential to cause more graphical (and other) bugs and might even prevent certain regions from being allowed to sell the game.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 69 of 85 (282 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Normally too invested in enacting a revenge kill on a player to be bothered about "Chat".

When playing, I am in a squad with friends chatting over Discord so in-game chat just blurs out into nothing... the usual "gg" and "ez" at the end seems to be popular, other than that, just playing the game and having a blast!

PTFO!

Party hat

- Cookie -

Message 70 of 85 (395 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help