Re: Please, don't make bullying a normal thing to do.

by apostolateofDOOM

Original Post

★★ Pro
@matzesingt please differentiate harsh/trash talk and constructive criticism. If you want to succeed, yes, you should be able to take constructive criticism.

But trash talk? You use trash talk to let others down, let's take an example in sports, your opponent knows you and he trash talking you in a match to mess with your head right, you don't talk back and just be quiet until you can prove him wrong. Then you take that as a motivation to train harder so you can show him that you are better than him. But then again they play for the championship, train 6 days a week in the off-season. And at the end of the day, nothing but respect because they knew each other.

It's different with trash talk in gaming, you literally take anything seriously in the online world these days, and 90% of us don't even play for money or prize, just to have fun, so what's with all the fuss?

Why being so soft is embarrassing for you if all we want is to respect each other? If I want to be yelled all the time I would've join the military instead and contribute to my country instead of sitting in front of my computer and acting so tough to a bunch of kids.
Message 21 of 23 (184 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@bosourd

That is a good post at beginning of this thread.

I used to get sucked into flame wars but then you realise why try to win an argument with a stranger because they're not going to magically turn around and admit you're right and they are wrong. You'll never get that satisfaction and all you've ended up doing is wasting energy on some random person that has no effect on your life.

Best rule - Ignore them. This applies to Apex. Ignore because if you respond then you are giving THEM the satisfaction they have successfully provoked you and they're giggling away in their mother's basement. It is more annoying for them because they can't get some reaction out of you, which is the aim of a bully. That is a win for yourself.

The only people you should care about on opinions are those in life that care about you. The ones face to face in front of you in real life and not some enemy poster in some social media/forum etc.

Sometimes the most pleasant streamers are not always the ones with most viewers. Plenty of streamers that need viewers count love and they keep their streams family clean.

I've got these games installed as well. Notice they're PvE Coop. The most decent human behaviour seems to come out of scenarios where you're forced to work as a team to survive because it is clearly impossible to win alone without sharing, healing eachother, tanking when you're low health etc.

That is the kind of games I like to play and really teaches kids in helping others with common goals.

Killing Floor 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Destiny 2
Borderlands 3
Diablo 3
Warframe
Division 2

Yet somehow in Apex is full of pro wannabes. It seems Coop PvP brings out the worst behaviour. I mean anyone who has played Rainbow Siege will tell you the real meaning of toxic with friendly fire.

Yes - Bullying can really mess with a child's head. I know that silly school rule where if you tell the teacher then the bully gets suspended for few days and comes back to beat someone even more. It still happens. I've been bullied and I've also physically bullied others when I was a kid in the 90s.

If end up with bad team mates. Simply don't trash talk and just exit lobby. Much less stressful! Probably annoys them you left them hanging haha!

Message 22 of 23 (181 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@bosourd Sticks and stones..

If kids are so easily influenced from what they see online then that's often a direct result of bad parenting from either not educating them enough first or you not taking control of what they're exposed to online at certain ages or for how long.  Education is key.

If someone is saying or doing things that are morally questionable or you find offensive then don't involve yourself and/or your children,  just mute them as everyone has that option to ignore and remove that kind of environment. They have the freedom to speak (within the confines of the law) just as you have the right to listen or be offended.. Improvements can always be made to protect minors, but creating an environment where they're not exposed AT ALL will just lead to inexperience later on in dealing with that kind of thing they'll inevitably be exposed to it in other parts of life.

Kids nowadays can't take criticism (and more adults recently for that matter) as they usually have a friends list that will reinforce their own view while blocking those that are different or oppose which stifles constructive debate leading to spoon fed opinions and sheep mentality. In todays day and age where people can be blocked or removed from public debate just for engaging due to overbearing and biased moderation, that's a very dangerous thing for future generations.

People should be committed to tolerance and civility rather than respect as anyone can form an opinion or say something that someone else can find offensive.

Message 23 of 23 (154 Views)