Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Please delete

by Colonel_Hedgehog

Original Post

Highlighted

Please delete

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

+++Moderator, please delete+++ (I was hoping to give Bioware some feedback and a nudge back into quality story telling, but I doubt they will ever see it, and instead I'm causing unnecessary angst with the folks that like the game. That wasn't my intent.)

Message 1 of 22 (513 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Anthem- A Late Comer's Review

Champion

Hi @Colonel_Hedgehog 

you can see information on Returns and Cancellations here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/returns-and-cancellations/

Hope this helps.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 2 of 22 (495 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Colonel_HedgehogSorry you didn’t like the limited rpg aspect of the game. That’s being said, I still liked many of the characters. If you didn’t meet Owen you missed out on a funny character that I particularly enjoyed. However, the game is an action game first, with someone rpg elements. If that’s not your cup of tea, that’s ok, but it was never intended to be the equivalent of dragon age or mass effect. No romances either. <sads>

The gameplay is much like MEA, so if you wanted a larger dose of that, it would probably be a better fit for you.

I was feeling similar to you after they dropped MEA, but I tried out the alpha and two pre-launch demos and loved the combat and flying so much it became a must buy for me, at full price. It’s not the same as mass effect, but I enjoy action games for themselves. The fact that it has some story and characters I like is a bonus.

BTW, you do sometimes see your pilot's face in cutscenes, but always in your javelin exosuit and only wearing the default helmet, since not all the helmets have been designed to open in front.

Message 3 of 22 (454 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

I don't know what happened with the characters.  Let's start with fashion.  None of the clothing matches, or even shows any consistency.  You have one guy wearing robes and also a gladiator metal helmet.  Some characters look ok, but others, it looks like one of those paper cutouts my sister had as a kid where you could cut out different pieces of clothing and fold over the tabs to make different combinations.  Who dresses like that?  It would be like someone walking through the mall today with the head of an NHL sports mascot assuming they're in style.

Movement - jerky and not consistent with dialogue.  Someone will talk to me, and then * back and spread their arms like I'm blaming them for something in the middle of a conversation.  Either everyone is related to Crazy Legs from SCTV (now I'm dating myself), or there is a serious crystal meth problem in Fort Tarsis.

Conversation events - some of them make no sense, and don't send you on a quest or something.  I don't care if the fashion store makes gold hoods (better than the gladiator helmets, mind you), and I don't think my opinion on fashion will make or break Fort Tarsis - send me on a quest to find your lost shipment on a strider or something!  I don't care how many people trip over electrical cords.  That's what custodians are for.  I want to meet the infamous Uncle Vonnie - I'd think he'd be like Spider in Destiny - send you on some quests related to ripping off Princess Zhim or something.

Indeed, it's not a part of the game.  I love the combat dynamics, the flying, and the graphics.  I'd like to be able to modify and improve my weapons and armor.  Hopefully, that will come.  I enjoy being a Freelancer - I used to be a strider captain, but then my strider took an arrow in the knee.

Message 4 of 22 (432 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Jonny_Castilloux wrote:

Conversation events - some of them make no sense, and don't send you on a quest or something.  I don't care if the fashion store makes gold hoods (better than the gladiator helmets, mind you), and I don't think my opinion on fashion will make or break Fort Tarsis - send me on a quest to find your lost shipment on a strider or something!  I don't care how many people trip over electrical cords.  That's what custodians are for.  I want to meet the infamous Uncle Vonnie - I'd think he'd be like Spider in Destiny - send you on some quests related to ripping off Princess Zhim or something.

I actually think the story line with Marl and Gunther was absolute gold, with one of the biggest "I told you so"s in gaming history. When Prindel Blatch pops his head in at the end and explains the fire was caused by loose cables lying in pools of standing water I almost wet my pants I laughed so much. Who woulda thought the dweebs warnings would come true?

Message 5 of 22 (422 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Colonel_Hedgehog Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. I don’t have any particular nostalgia for a “type” of Bioware game so the fact Anthem isn’t like whatever else they’ve produced doesn’t mean anything to me. I came for the action and combat and this game has that in spades. I have to admit that I don’t even read most of the lore-related stuff about the game unless it’s presented in the course of talking to a given character. It’s not that I don’t like that sort of thing—I’ve enjoyed the Fallout games to death, for example—it’s just that that’s not why I’m here in this case.

But your criticism does remind me of one very vocal anti-Anthem camp that was quite loud on Reddit around launch. And that was the camp that disliked Anthem because it wasn’t Mass Effect, quite apart from any other shortcoming. It’s as if they feel BW “owes” it to them to only make games in the vein (pure RPG, I guess?) the company has made in the past. That’s where I part ways with such critics because to me it comes off as intensely selfish. BW can make whatever kind of game they like, for whatever reasons they like. Historical precedence doesn’t matter. If you like what they produce, great. If you don’t, oh well. Maybe you’ll like the next thing. Or maybe you won’t. But to try and “force” (or expect) someone to produce only what you personally want is not cool.

That said, given what you appear to be looking for, Anthem is definitely not for you. But if you like action games you’re missing out on a great title.

Message 6 of 22 (410 Views)
Highlighted

@Colonel_Hedgehog Whew, I'm actually relieved to see a review where the biggest problem wasn't the playing part of the game. Just the way characters talk in Fort Tarsis.
Message 7 of 22 (401 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice

No, it's not that I expect Anthem to be Mass Effect, but I have come to expect that level of quality and immersion from Bioware. The issue is that the Fort Tarsis experience is just bad, really bad. I don't know why they opted for a stiff and clunky feeling disembodied first person perspective in Tarsis, in a 3rd person game. And the locked non moving view and NPC's just staring at you during conversations is just tedious and boring, and does not make you feel connected to "your home" or the people in it. Anthem is just an action game with some badly implemented story telling tossed in for good measure. It's just not what I've come to expect from Bioware.

I suppose if all you are into it for is the combat, it is probably fine. I just was hoping for a Bioware story telling experience along with the action.

Message 8 of 22 (367 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@Colonel_Hedgehog wrote:

No, it's not that I expect Anthem to be Mass Effect, but I have come to expect that level of quality and immersion from Bioware. The issue is that the Fort Tarsis experience is just bad, really bad. I don't know why they opted for a stiff and clunky feeling disembodied first person perspective in Tarsis, in a 3rd person game. And the locked non moving view and NPC's just staring at you during conversations is just tedious and boring, and does not make you feel connected to "your home" or the people in it. Anthem is just an action game with some badly implemented story telling tossed in for good measure. It's just not what I've come to expect from Bioware.

I suppose if all you are into it for is the combat, it is probably fine. I just was hoping for a Bioware story telling experience along with the action.

One could argue, that with being aware of all the bad reviews, this is exactly what you should have expected. Angel

I would have preferred 3rd person over 1st person, too, but I knew what I was buying after having played the demos.

I guess a lot of things play into getting immersed in a story/a game. After a brief time to acclimatize I was able to enjoy Anthem's story and hope to see more of it in the future.

On the other hand, I discarded many games/books after a few hours/pages not understanding what others liked about them.

That's okay. You can't please everybody and you don't have to like everything.

If we all liked the same things the world would probably be a much more boring place.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 9 of 22 (358 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

Hi @Colonel_Hedgehog 

I saw your initial post before you edited it for deletion, and in my opinion, it was well written, justified criticism. I agree with you that Anthem fails to deliver immersion and storytelling whenever you are in fort Tharsis.

However, I love the open world design, the movement mechanics and the combat system. Thus I enjoy the game for what it is.

Don’t  worry about how some people might react to your post. I have seen plenty of reasonable folks in what is left of the Anthem player base. 

Message 10 of 22 (345 Views)
Twitter Stream