Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Please allow melee weapons more strikes!

by Halfjack9

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

★★ Guide

I've been playing primarily as a Ranger using an assault rifle and a sniper rifle - when I run out of bullets, I really want to be able to melee - but having a club with a recharge wait is No Joy!

I enjoyed the melee for both the Ranger and Colossus quite a bit (only ones I tried so far), but I would MUCH rather do less damage and not have charges on the melee weapon.  

I realize this is a feature of the Interceptor, but in my opinion, all other Javelins are melee-crippled to the point of melee weapons being almost useless.

SUGGESTION:  Let melee weapons hit 3 to 5 times before they require the cool down. This would make melee MUCH more viable for occasional use by non-Interceptors.

Message 1 of 16 (304 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

Re: Please allow melee weapons more strikes!

★★ Guide

Discussion Summary:

Me:  It sucks to not be able to melee somebody more than one hit

Others: That's because Melee is not about melee, it is about combos

Me:  Well, that's broken.... What do I do when I run out of bullets, glare and use harsh language?

Others: Well then you should use Interceptor!

Me:  (sigh)

Bottom line is that even though our only melee weapon is used for combos, it still sucks to not be able to hit somebody standing in front of me!

View in thread

Message 14 of 16 (169 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★ Guide

If you want melee strikes, answer is easy - go for interceptor. You can do melee attacks as often as you smash that melee button.

For other classes melee frequency limited because it either combo primer (ranger), or combo detonator (well, for interceptor too actually, but only when you do killing blow).

Message 2 of 16 (291 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

The melee dmg as it is is pretty useful for finishing off that pesky mob that has 10% health left and you are in the position where your guns need reloading and your powers are on cooldown. I don't have an issue at all with the melee being the way it is. If they increased the "swings" before it goes on cooldown, I imagine they would reduce the dmg it dealt.. which in my opinion would be worse that the way it currently is. If a player really wants to use melee as a core part of their combat, then really just play the Interceptor.  Each class really has it's strengths and weaknesses.. It's one thing I really enjoy about Anthem over other loot shooters at the moment.

Message 3 of 16 (285 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide
Abyssalwyrm,

Thanks for the info on melee being used as a combo primer/detonator.

Otherwise, if I want to focus on melee I will be playing Interceptor, but the purpose of my post is to enable the other Javelins, especially the Ranger and the Colossus, a better utility from their melee ability.
Message 4 of 16 (278 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I agree.

There should be no cooldown on melee.

In terms of gameplay balance, there is no class that could take advantage of infinite melee by running around and infinitely meleeing. It's simply a less effective way to fight when armed with such powerful weaponry. 

In terms of intuitive gameplay, what possible reason does my javelin have for being unable to wack an enemy more than once within a 5 second window? Why is it that the Ranger can swing a mace and then stand there unable to attack with it afterwards? 

It would not be unbalanced if a Ranger could run around spamming melee primers (I can already do this as the Storm), it'd simply not be a powerful enough option. As the storm there's no way to take advantage of multiple detonating melee attacks unless you got a bunch of primed targets all nearby and if that's the case and you're playing the storm there are way better options than spamming melee to detonate the primed targets. It's really not a balance issue because meleeing is not more powerful than any of our other options. If you want to play melee you'll need to be an interceptor regardless because its gear facilitates its ability to fight in melee whereas the other classes don't have gear that brings them closer to the enemy.

The interceptor's uniqueness does not rely on its ability to slash its blades indefinitely. It's uniqueness is it's agility and specialization at single-target direct damage. Honestly, all of the javelins should be able to indefinitely swing in melee. It's a robotic suit and it's first and foremost power is it's ability to punch through stones without damaging itself. Adding all the weapons and ordinance just goes with the territory of being a robot, but it's silly that none of the javelins except the interceptor can follow up a melee attack with another melee attack. 

Message 5 of 16 (273 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice
The colossus’ melee attack is an AOE attack, while the ranger’s is a single attack with possible paralysis effect. I’m not sure about the storm but the Interceptor’s melee attack is pure physical single target attack. Increasing melee frequency would need to be balanced by reducing the AOE range or secondary effect. Both of which people may not like. Maybe if they put in armor enhancements that speed up melee at the expense of something else, they might be able to balance it. It’s be tough to do.
Message 6 of 16 (242 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@mikieatton wrote:
The colossus’ melee attack is an AOE attack, while the ranger’s is a single attack with possible paralysis effect. I’m not sure about the storm but the Interceptor’s melee attack is pure physical single target attack. Increasing melee frequency would need to be balanced by reducing the AOE range or secondary effect. Both of which people may not like. Maybe if they put in armor enhancements that speed up melee at the expense of something else, they might be able to balance it. It’s be tough to do.

Storms melee is also combo detonator.

Ranger: lightning combo primer on every strike

Colossus: combo detonator on every strike

Storm: combo detonator on every strike

Interceptor: combo detonator on killing blow

Thus as you can see, if you would allow more frequent melee attacks, colossus and storm would abuse it quite badly for massive DPS and/or crowd control.

Message 7 of 16 (221 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

All this combo primer/detonator info is gnu to me - and appreciated!

I think this might not have been the best way to rig combos...

Apart from the combos, I could live with no melee weapon at all as a Ranger - if I'm not keeping out of melee range, I'm doing it wrong. But the Colossus is on the ground, forcing aggro, burning thru ammo, and is often surrounded by masses - he needs a non-CD or fast CD melee if anyone does. IDK how that could adjust his combo detonating, but melee attacks should be always up for that guy at least!

Message 8 of 16 (212 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Abyssalwyrm wrote:

@mikieatton wrote:

Storms melee is also combo detonator.

Ranger: lightning combo primer on every strike

Colossus: combo detonator on every strike

Storm: combo detonator on every strike

Interceptor: combo detonator on killing blow

Thus as you can see, if you would allow more frequent melee attacks, colossus and storm would abuse it quite badly for massive DPS and/or crowd control.

This is absolutely not the case. I played Storm exclusively after unlocking it and I can melee more than I care to. I can't prime targets fast enough to abuse a more frequent melee attack and if I found a group of primed enemies I would not need to spam a melee detonator since I'm sure to have an AoE detonator selected as one of my gear options. 

If the Storm could melee more frequently it would not make any meaningful impact and I suspect the same is true for the Colossus. The Storm is simply too fragile to be doing that, I don't even like hovering in the air anywhere near the enemies because the firepower is too much at close ranges. The Colossus is certainly better off in close range, but I highly doubt being able to spam its melee attack would really be that most useful choice in many situations. If the Colossus has a short cooldown primer than maybe, but even still melee attacks aren't effect enough on the other javelins. You need to keep in mind when comparing them to the interceptor that the interceptor's attacks are way faster than the other javelins. 

Removing the melee attack cooldown would not make any of the higher difficulties any easier and none of the suits would be able to use that change to any great effect, but it would be more convenient and user-friendly to not be locked out of melee every time you hit with a melee attack. 

Message 9 of 16 (185 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

I like the charged elemental melee for the ranger because it acts as a primmer so you can then do a combo.  It gives enough time for a new melee to be charged, and same for the detonator.  I had a blast when I figured that out, prim detonate, and repeat.  Id rather have that then the ability to spam the melee.  Thats what the interceptor is for.

Message 10 of 16 (177 Views)
Twitter Stream