Playing ranked in gold with randoms is a pain. Any advice?

by Renegade_Prime86

Original Post

Playing ranked in gold with randoms is a pain. Any advice?

★★★★★ Guide

Recently reached gold, and I am really surprised, don't get me wrong there were a few unlogical people at silver but not as much in gold, over here they just mindlessly rushing into fights alone, and they don't even care they ran outside of the ring a mile away they just want to fight and boom, 2 seconds they are down.

So because I don't have friends to play with I have to stick to randoms, but it is extremely difficult, I swear in silver players were more decent than in gold.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 5 (2,017 Views)

Re: Playing ranked in gold with randoms is a pain. Any advice?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Renegade_Prime86
Pieces of advice that’ll stop the inevitable insanity from going down this road:

1) Stop playing ranked (believe me... most will agree with me on this one alone)

2) Stop playing ranked (if you didn’t believe me previously I sure hope now you will)

3) Stop (you thought I was going for the tri-factor didn’t you, but nope not here) queueing alone, find some friends or ppl to play with who you can rely on. There’s lots of places where ppl are LFG (looking for girlfriends... groups). On xbox you have a dedicated section on the console itself and for pc & ps4 just head on over to the looking for group section on this forum or on reddit.

4) Camp your aess off. Not a liked tactic but it works... but frankly if you have trouble getting out of gold it’s either because you have lots of misfortune (be it getting third partied alot, bad teammates etc), you reached your skill ceiling or a combi

5) don’t trust anyone not mentioning stopping playing ranked or to find a friend. They obviously want to see you become a masochist. 

6) the most important one: stop playing ranked!

Message 2 of 5 (1,999 Views)

Champion
@Renegade_Prime86 When you run into a good teammate, friend them and see if they want to play more. This game is way more enjoyable with a decent friend.
Message 3 of 5 (1,993 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Renegade_Prime86You might just be on a streak of having bad teammates and it happens. I personally have made it to platinum a few times completely solo queuing. So it's definitely not impossible to do. Now platinum is where you're going to start to need a premade squad in order to win. You'll also need more advanced game play skills, such as focus firing and so on.

You definitely have to be flexible and pay attention to your squad mates. If they are pushing fights constantly you have to be right there with them. I would try and take the lead in terms of map rotation. I would not always avoid fights, but I would judge my squads skill level. If I felt like we could handle high traffic choke points, that was where we went. If not I'd avoid it and try to coax the team into rotating away from choke points/high traffic areas.

If they would not let me lead, I'd pick who ever I felt was the more sensible teammate and stick with that one. If the third ran off, so be it.

Are you on PC or console? I know on console you can make looking for groups. Try that.. Either browse through the posts looking for people to play with or make a post. You'll start to build in game friendships with people. You'll then become friends with their friends and have plenty.

If you're on PC make a post here. I don't know how much traffic it gets.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Find-a-Squad/ct-p/apex-legends-squad-en

If that fails, maybe solo queue into pubs and just ask if people have a mic... If they respond be friendly with them, ask if they have favorite guns and try to help them find it/attachments they want. Ask if they need anything and be a team player. Don't give up the loot you need but when you find extra, give it to them.. If they are far from me and dibs it, I'll pick it up and carry it to them. People really appreciate it in game and want to play with people who are not a pain to game with. If you have a good round with them shoot them an invite. Don't get discouraged if they decline invites, that has nothing to do with you or your in game skills. They might already have a squad waiting for them or not have the time to play more than 1-2 rounds.  i decline/ignore most random invites, but if they ask me to play ranked or for help before I leave I will accept the invite.

If you're on xbox I'd be happy to play with you if you're on a US Server. I'm only silver rank, but only because I have not been grinding ranked at all this season (yet). I'll DM you my xbox live gamer tag and times I'm on.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 5 (1,971 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Renegade_Prime86 Well...try and ensure you're getting assists at the very minimum from any fight you get into...even if you don't get a kill from a squad fight, the assists make a nice buffer

If your team seems useless ditch them....I hate saying this as a person who likes to be a team player, but some people are just impossible to work with.

I personally go for an aggressive start and then slow it down a bit to ensure I get a healthy amount of placement points....when I can be bothered playing ranked anyway.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 5 (1,935 Views)