PlayStation Parent Controls

by Preacherman73

Original Post

PlayStation Parent Controls

★★★ Newbie

I understand from Sony that Apex Legends is Teen rated but that  the developer has the game age set at 16 which poses a problem for parents using parent controls. Below is my request for help with Sony on the parent control setting. It would be great if you could help me in anyway to help parents allow thier children the ability to play Teen rated games like Apex without giving permission to play Mature rated game.

We need another level setting between level 8 and 9 to allow teen games like Apex Legends to be played  without having to go to level 9 that allows M rated games. I as a parent am okay with my son playing Teen rated games but do not want him to play M rated games. The levels that are provided allow age 15 at level 7 and 8 but then jumps to age 17 at level 9 and above. We need a level for age 16 that allows all teen games without going to level 9 that is for age 17. Sony can you fix this for parents so they can have more control and allow thier children to play all Teens games but not Mature games?

Message 1 of 2 (1,774 Views)

Re: PlayStation Parent Controls

★★★ Newbie

Concur with your request.  I had the same conversation with Sony.  transcript is below.

Irvin:Hello, My name is Irvin how may I assist you today? Remember: Please do not refresh your screen as it will disconnect the chat session. Thanks!

Me:I have a ? Regarding the game APEX

Me:The game is rated T for teen.... but in the parents rating of the game.... it is classified as a level 9 which falls under M for mature

Irvin:Hello XXXXX, tell me what I can do for you about that?

Me:Is this a mistake in the classification by Sony or is it meant to be under the M for mature category?

Irvin:I will be more than glad to assist you today XXXX in regards of the rate for this game. For documentation purposes please provide me the following details: -Email address that is linked to your account -Phone number -First and last name

Me:It makes it impossible for kids who have a level 8 parental restriction to play APEX. Me:XXXXXXXX

Irvin:Thank you so much for the information XXXXX, I will be more than glad to answer your question about the rates for games.

Irvin:Allow me to explain to you that the entity in charge or set the rate for each game in the store is called Entertainment software Rating Board (ESRB)

Irvin:They set the rate for the games based on the publisher information they share between them.

Irvin:Let me ask you something what is the age of your child's account?

Me:I understand that....but the game is rated as T for teen. In the parental settings... T goes up to level 8. M starts at level 9

Me:My son is 11 and I have his setting as level 8 which allows him to play T level games (Ex Fortnite)

Irvin:Ok thank you and his age is the same age as his PSN account?

Me:YesMe:I believe so.... let me check

Irvin:According to the Rate information or the Teen Category, I am able to see that if the content is rated as Teens, he will be able to access to the content just if his account is with 13 years.

Irvin:Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language. If it helps, you can check this link as well related to that information.

Irvin:https://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx

Me:I agree... but when I look in the game information on the PS4 it’s categorized as a level 9 game

Irvin:And have you tried setting the highest level just to see if the game gets unlocked?

Irvin:If not you can set it up again as level 9.

Me:Yes... if I allow him level 9... the game becomes available in his account

Me:But that makes all M games available to him which is something we do not want

Irvin:I think that the reason the system is asking for you to set the level 9 is because the game is rated to be accessible for accounts from 13 and up and since your son's account is under that age.

Me:His age level for games is set to level 8

Me:I’m on his account now using the family management site online

Irvin:Ok allow me to tell you that the rate suggest age appropriateness, that means that if the game has content that is not appropriate for a level 8 restriction that is why it is asking for you to go to the next level to be able accessible, unfortunately it is not something that we can modify, I am really sorry about that.

Me:thanks for the chat. I just wanted to make sure Sony didn’t rate is a level 9 game by mistake

Irvin:Do not worry XXXX, I am really glad to know that we are here to provide you assistance in regards of any inquiry you may have.

Irvin:Feel free to contact us back any time, by any chance do you have any other question where I can help you with?

Me:No. Have a great day.

Irvin:I hope you get a good rest of your day.

Irvin:Thank you for chatting with us today!

Message 2 of 2 (1,742 Views)