Re: Plants and zombies attack turn

by UniVoidz

Original Post

Plants and zombies attack turn

★★★ Newbie
As you know, the fight time begins with the lane in the left, and zombies attack first in each lane. What if both the plant and zombie heroes have low health and there are cards with strikethrough in the left lane? (look at the picture)

Zombies would win since they attack first, however, I think that it is kind of unfair since any of the heroes could have been able to win. Obviously, this is just an small detail, but I would like to read any possible solutions (maybe an alternation: zombies attack first in even turns, and plants in odd turns), or any reason why zombies attack before than plants. Thank you.
Message 1 of 9 (1,163 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Kinda looks like WallKnight is looking at us for help in the pic :P

Message 2 of 9 (1,127 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

And avoids the question... Would be interesting if the attack phase was random or as mentioned, do it in turns. One problem I see though is how to have plants have a trick phase like zombies do.

Message 3 of 9 (1,123 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Would make sense to have them take turns, but there would probably have to be an indicator to remind players which side is attacking first. Then again, it wouldn't solve the problem entirely, as there would still be an unfair bias within each turn, and would probably mean the cost of future strikethrough cards would be built to fit around this (e.g. strikethrough plants having an even number cost, and strikethrough zombies having an odd number cost). Then again, I think keeping the game mechanics as simple as possible is also important.

Message 4 of 9 (1,116 Views)

Champion (Retired)
I think the damage should be reported at the same time. Then the fight would end either in a draw, or goes to whomever did the most damage points beyond zero life.

That said, it really does depend on what the win percentage are sitting at, that ink itself could be a balancing mechanic. (It's been a couple seasons since I've played, so I don't know where balance is at)
Message 5 of 9 (1,104 Views)

★ Guide

I am glad you brought this up because it is seen as a disadvantage that Zombies go first so the have a trick phase but there are 2 scenarios where going first is an advantage:

1. In your scenario

2. Zombies that do an instant attack.

Trickster has ended my game many times. Now you can add Valk and any high powered Zombie put on monument.

Message 6 of 9 (1,080 Views)

★ Guide

I think ending in a draw would be the correct thing. No stars lost(maybe lose winstreak though, if in gold or below), and a tie is declared

Message 7 of 9 (1,077 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide
Combat is weird. If I were your opponent and had played a Nurse Gargantuar in lane 1, your damage would register, killing me, before my heal triggered, even though my zombie attacked did damage first. Is that fair? Would you like to argue that I should heal and live?

Here’s another scenario, thanks to Monument: I play a ... let’s say Moonwalker on a Monument, on Heights. Moonwalker is supposed to get a +2/+2 buff. Instead, the bonus attack triggers first and triggers your super block. You Weed Whack my Moonwalker, and it dies before the buff resolves.

Okay, that’s not a combat thing, exactly. But it is a weird thing. PvZ has a lot of weird little resolution order rules that are unlike any other game I’ve ever played. I say learn the weirdness, and learn to live with it. (Because the plants are all going to say “yes! let’s do damage at the same time!” and the zombies are all going to say, “wait a minute! that’s our thing!”)

Edit: I’m guessing the Devs wanted to eliminate the potential for draws. Having zombies “go first” makes sense from a flavor perspective b/c zombies are dumb and aggressive. It may have also been a balance thing, but probably very few games are decided by striketheough/strikethrough (at least by percentage). The scenario above ^^ with the Nurse probably doesn’t heal b/c if “going first” triggered abilities, you could never get rid of a zombie with deadly. That doesn’t make me any less sour for losing games that way, of course.
Message 8 of 9 (1,070 Views)

Champion (Retired)

At least it isn't as inconsistent as Hearthstone. Mechanics are all over the place.

Message 9 of 9 (1,062 Views)