Re: Petition for Spore 2

by arthrfrts

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Petition for Spore 2

★★ Novice

I, and a lot of Spore fans would like to see a second part. Is that possible to get you to make it trough a petition, and if yes how many signatures would I have to collect?

Thanks, Greg

Message 1 of 13 (3,340 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hi Greg

@DJ_SexOffender wrote:

I, and a lot of Spore fans would like to see a second part. Is that possible to get you to make it trough a petition, and if yes how many signatures would I have to collect?

Thanks, Greg

Thank you for your interest and play

Unfortunately, a petition is not possible
The studio that developed "Spore" it was closed many years ago

Therefore, there will be no successor

Thanks for your patience and understanding

/Liz

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden. Ich liebe das Mobile Gaming, besonders die Simpsons Springfield …

Die Simpsons Springfield -  Zeigt her euer Springfield

Die Sims 2 - Meine Stories

———-

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (3,636 Views)

All Replies

Hi Greg

@DJ_SexOffender wrote:

Thanks, Greg

Thank you for your interest and play

Unfortunately, a petition is not possible
The studio that developed "Spore" it was closed many years ago

Therefore, there will be no successor

Thanks for your patience and understanding

/Liz

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden. Ich liebe das Mobile Gaming, besonders die Simpsons Springfield …

———-
Message 2 of 13 (3,637 Views)

★★ Novice
@Freggi-Liz Stop Telling People Maxis Closed, Cause It Didn't So Stop Lying.
Message 3 of 13 (2,691 Views)

I dont lie. The old team around Maxis like Thomas Vu, Ocean Quigley, who worked on Spore and developed it no longer exist. They either work for other game manufacturers or have other interests and professions. So it's not a lie, RIGHT

———-
Message 4 of 13 (2,638 Views)

★★ Novice

Who owns the rights to Spore, then?

Message 5 of 13 (2,607 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide
Electronic Arts owns the rights to Spore, The Sims and SimCity.

Maxis Emeryville, the studio that developed Spore and SimCity, was closed in 2015. The Sims was spun off to its own Maxis Studio in Redwood Shores.

After Maxis Emeryville closure in 2015, the Maxis branding keeps existing. The studio itself, its developers and designers, are long gone.

You can read the news about the studio closure here: https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

Lucy Bradshaw, Maxis Emeryville general manager, left EA in 2015: https://www.ea.com/news/maxis-organizational-update
Message 6 of 13 (2,584 Views)

★ Apprentice

As a 20+year fan of Maxis Games (still have my copy of SimEarth). Ever since Spore creatures were part of the disasters in SimCity, I had always hoped that Spore would crossover into theSims (especially after the introduction of Aliens into Sims3-and i do understand the modeling is different) and that this would also help bolster the survival/revival of Spore, which seems to be hanging on the fringes thanks to old school fans who introduce the game to their kids. Would be nice to at least see an homage to spore in either Sims4 or the rumored Sims5. It could happen with all the new digital magic. Just a dream I've had. Thanks

Message 7 of 13 (2,513 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Freggi-Liz Thanks for a good laugh. What differnece does it make if the team is still around or not? Is it impossible to assemble a new team?
Message 8 of 13 (2,502 Views)

★ Apprentice

You can't just "assemble a new team" for that, especially with something like Spore. The developers who made Spore what it is today are long gone, and along with them went the passion for the project. It is likely no new developers would have the same drive or motivation to give it their all, and you would end up with a half baked attempt at a Spore successor, much like Darkspore. Plus, new developers would have to learn how the code for the engine and the game works, and without any of the original team that made it, it's much more difficult. Either that, or they would redo the entire engine from ground up, which would be far too large of an undertaking to be realistically possible.

Now with that, consider this, where would you be getting the new team members from? You would have to pull them from other existing projects, which is not going to happen especially as there is a small financial incentive to move members away from a larger game like the sims or their other IPs to a game like Spore.

All in all, assembling an entire team just to make a successor to a dying franchise is too large of an undertaking and is unlikely to be worth it in the end. 

Message 9 of 13 (2,455 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@stilesakThere are talented people all over the world you know. Besides, they could probably get plenty of old developers on board.

I can't help but feel that if they took their time with Spore 2, we would get a far superior, less childified game. All those amazing animations and features shown in the trailers, for example. I wish we had those.

Look at Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Creators bought by a new company that made some new games. Evil Genius 2, created ages after Evil Genius 1. Yooka-Laylee, etc.

But yeah, it's never going to happen. This is EA we are talking about. They earn more money from pumping out FIFAs.

Message 10 of 13 (2,443 Views)