Permanent: Trios on World Edge, Solos (and Duos) on Kings Canyon

by Lausekittel

Original Post

Permanent: Trios on World Edge, Solos (and Duos) on Kings Canyon

★★★ Apprentice

Hi Respawn,

I thought of this a lot and you also maybe heard a lot of people wanting Solos back. Some even Duos.
Well here is the deal: Solos on World Edge? Would feel like Journey or Death Stranding. The map is just to big for that. But there is a map perfectly fitting: Kings Canyon.

You get so much feedback about people wanting Solos back, people missing Kings Canyon. 

Here you go! That's your opportunity! 

Ranked remains untouched. Also the free/casual trios play. 

What do you think?

Message 1 of 13 (474 Views)

Re: Permanent: Trios on World Edge, Solos (and Duos) on Kings Canyon

★★★ Expert

Respawn Entertainment has left the chat

Message 2 of 13 (461 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I know, I know, It's so much more maintenance on the servers, more to handle and so on. 
How about that: APEX+ Subscription modell!
If you are paying a monthly fee of 5$, you'll get access to Solos and Duos on Kings Canyon. Also exclusiv skins and stuff like that.

This would cover up the expenses for the higher servers costs.

It's not pay to win, it's just pay to play even more.

Message 3 of 13 (451 Views)

Champion

@Wingmannedbro  lmao xD

Were they ever in the chat to start with though? Tongue out

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 13 (434 Views)

★★★ Expert
@MandatoryIDtag yes. Mods are devs' avatars Standard smile
Message 5 of 13 (416 Views)

★ Expert
@Lausekittel I like it, I like a lot! Always thought KC was rather small for a 3 man team.
Message 6 of 13 (409 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@Lausekittelhmm, 2 additional modes + 1 additional map divide the playerbase too much over time, making queues very long and affecting the matchmaking system, which needs a big number of players in the queue to make each lobby more balanced.

Personally, I would like a new map, although I'd probably visit the old Skull town every now and then. Also, didn't like solos and duos, I would rarely take the dust off those mode buttons.

Message 7 of 13 (393 Views)

★★ Pro

OR, let's have all three modes with both maps in rotation. That solves it for everyone involved! :D

Message 8 of 13 (390 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Ok so i'll ask you all this.

With apex where it is currently is, do you think the addition of solo/duo as staple game modes would increase the player base?

Or just heavily divide the current numbers to the point there would be a low player populations in each game mode?

Personally i think it would be the latter, because if you add solo and duo modes, there will naturally be a follow up of demands for ranked equivalents of both. You're then essentially splitting the player base between 6 different game modes(7 during LTM phases)....which i think would be pretty damaging for the queue times and potentially alienate the playerbase even further.

Respawn are in a tricky position where they have to maintain a fine balance, which i reckon is the real reason we see these modes as LTM's.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 9 of 13 (369 Views)

★★ Pro

@MandatoryIDtag wrote:

Ok so i'll ask you all this.

With apex where it is currently is, do you think the addition of solo/duo as staple game modes would increase the player base?

Or just heavily divide the current numbers to the point there would be a low player populations in each game mode?

Personally i think it would be the latter, because if you add solo and duo modes, there will naturally be a follow up of demands for ranked equivalents of both. You're then essentially splitting the player base between 6 different game modes(7 during LTM phases)....which i think would be pretty damaging for the queue times and potentially alienate the playerbase even further.

Respawn are in a tricky position where they have to maintain a fine balance, which i reckon is the real reason we see these modes as LTM's.

This is something I've struggled with since S1 because I've been pretty adamant about no Solos since Respawn was pushing the "team-based game" idea. Unfortunately, until something is done about it, toxic players will ruin Squads.

I think introducing Solos and Duos would ultimately help the game in the long run - maybe not immediately, but over time it would bring people back. First, you'd have the ones demanding Solos trickle out of Squads. If people who played before left because of how toxic Squads was, it would bring them back knowing Solo players are (mostly) in their own queue. This would also bring new players in because it has more than one game mode from the beginning. Looking at it now, they're probably not fond of a pure Squad-based game which is why they haven't tried it. Maybe introducing other modes would push them to play APEX. I don't think the ranked modes would have much of a negative impact to be honest. Adding these modes would only help the game - and this is coming from someone who fought everyone on it at first lol. 

Message 10 of 13 (354 Views)