Pathfinder Hitbox

by worldshuffle

Original Post

Re: Pathfinder Hitbox

★★ Pro

I tried to give a full answer before and it was deleted with no reason given - so I'll try again being even MORE careful not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Originally pathfinder's hitbox was much larger than his model - resulting in the early videos of players being able to shoot thin-air nearby him and still get hits.  I suspect what was originally done was a pixel-perfect hitbox for the fattest legendary skin being applied to all the models.  The original hitbox was larger and easier to hit than caustic/gibraltar.  Ask anyone who played pathfinder back then... All 6 of us.

When they changed the hitbox they made a version which was more or less bang-on for the slender pathfinder models, with holes in the hips and upper thighs being a problem.  In addition to this : there is a lot of aesthetic fluff on pathfinder which CANNOT be hit, it's there for looks only.  Bad decision in an FPS game.  These artefacts are the hydraulic cannister on the arm, wire spools and grappling line stuff.  If they fixed the holes in his thighs and underside of his hips - the hitbox is respectable, and literally twice the size of wraith and lifeline. 

The real issue has come in more people using the legendary skins for Pathfinder, because they are MUCH larger than the hitbox (same hitbox for all models) and have a lot more of the aesthetic fluff than the base model.  Meaning : there's a lot more you can see than you can actually hit, the larger the model.  This is what has created the false assumption that pathfinder is even harder to hit now than he used to be.  As far as I've tested : there have only been 2 pathfinder hitboxes.  The old and new.  The reason people see it as being more of a problem is that more people are playing path than ever, and more people are using legendary skins.

hitbox.png

This roughly makes my point, but this can all be tested by getting one of your pathfinder friends (everyone has one) to jump into game with you and you start shooting around them while theyre stood still to see where you get hits and where you don't.

Message 21 of 34 (716 Views)

★★ Pro

What I'm dreading is that they're going to revert to the old hitbox and give us the caustic/gibraltar dmg reduction passive.  This won't fix the aesthetic artifacts like in your video above, so people will still come out with things like "you can't hit his legs/head/arms", which are provably false by shooting at your pathfinder friends.  But it will bring in a new complaint : "he's too tanky".  This hasn't been a massive complaint with gibraltar and caustic, because theyre not as popular.  But when you get a guy with that passive on every single team you fight : the complaints will roll in thick and fast.

What should happen is that the separate pathfinder models should have their own hitbox, but personally I think this would be a waste of resources as everyone would stop using the larger ones, for obvious reasons.  At the minute people use legendary skins knowing they offer an unfair advantage, that your enemy doesnt know which part of you can actually produce hits.  The exact opposite would happen if the larger models had an accurate hitbox to their limbs.

The other option would be to disable and change the legendary skins - they wont do this as people have paid money for them and there would be an outcry.

The root of the problem is that there is NO version of a hitbox which will service all the pathfinder models.  They are too different.

Message 22 of 34 (749 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Can we PLEASE stop with the blatant, provable falsehoods like "You can't hit his arms or head".  If we don't operate from a platform of truth to start with : why are we even bothering to talk to each other?

My main is going to be nerfed into oblivion because of bad decisions by Respawn's art department not being rejected by the design leads.  I'll still play pathfinder but it's going to suck once again being the only guy on the field who ANY crap player can collect full peacekeeper hits on from any angle.  Even gibraltar and caustic have holes in their backs and aesthetic crap you can't hit, but because of the amount of complaining about Pathfinder and the sheer volume of untrue statements (whether lies or misunderstandings) - I suspect he's going to be relegated to one of the least played legends again.

[edit] - To be clear, I 100% want his hitbox fixing where the small holes are.  I 100% want the models reworking so that there isn't clutter that you can't hit but you can see.  It's a top priority as far as I can tell.  Some of this work also needs to happen on other legends but nowhere near as much as Path.  What I DON'T want to have happen is a lazy nerf which takes us back to the bad old days.

Message 23 of 34 (745 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Pathfinder has so many extra stuff. If you can't damage them like it's not exist, that itself is not fair. 

He doesn't have flesh, so his extra stuff shouldn't bleed (take health), but it has a function, so at least it should get damage, so his ability get temporary disable for few seconds until he repair it.

If they modify that, I would be more fair to others legends.

Message 24 of 34 (726 Views)

★★ Pro
@asukojo You're right - but my argument is that things like the wirespools should just be removed or made as small as the stuff that can't be hit on other models like caustic's gas bottles.

If they make the wire spools etc take hits: there's no disadvantage to aiming high and spraying for headshots, as you would get bodyshots from the wires. This would be beyond bad.

If they plug the holes in his legs/hips and remove the excess garbage : you've got a guy who is literally twice the size of wraith/lifeline/octane. I don't struggle to hit default skin pathfinders at all, but this is because when all the stink around his hitbox started wafting in I got friends to come stand while I shot at them to figure out where he can and can't take hits.

The legendary skins are a pain still. I cannot understand for the life of me why they have made the legendary models so much larger.
Message 25 of 34 (720 Views)

Message 26 of 34 (708 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@HugoHobickaStopa1st shot - between arm and body, 2nd shot wire spool on shoulder, 3rd shot - headshot, 4th shot over the back of the guy again someone thinking they can hit the wire spools.

If you shoot the air between any other character's arms and bodies, or between their legs : you don't get hits.  The only reason people think this is unfair with pathfinder is because you used to be able to get hits by shooting the air between his legs or arms/body.

Message 27 of 34 (697 Views)

@Anlbrd
so you think that 98% of people who are talking about the hitbox pathfinder, from streamers to random players
they are wrong and you're right? xD
Message 28 of 34 (685 Views)

★★★ Guide

Hes hitbox is definetly broken and hes the legend with biggest mobility and ability to get high ground thats a recipe for disaster the legend who have best mobility in the game should be easy to hit not hardest

Message 29 of 34 (679 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@HugoHobickaStopaIn what way do you think I'm wrong or that I'm saying I'm right?  Let's be specific and honest for a change.  Not paddling around in hyperbole and hearsay. 

The hitbox has holes in it, this is exacerbated by problems with legendary models and aesthetic fluff meaning people don't know what they can and can't hit.

Yes. I'm right.  I've stood my friends up in game and shot at them extensively to test whether or not what I'm saying is true.  I've not just assumed that my shots are on point 100% of the time and any time I don't hit a pathfinder it's because of a hitbox problem.

Anyone who says "You can't hit his arms/head/legs" is wrong.  Especially when they use a video showing someone missing their shots as evidence :D

[edit] - It's funny, because of all the SPECIFIC things I've said, you've not replied to any of it, lol.  If I'm wrong - tell me exactly where I'm wrong.

Message 30 of 34 (677 Views)