Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

[PS4] Error retrieving pilot data - still having problems since launch day.

by DarkByke

Original Post

[PS4] Error retrieving pilot data - still having problems since launch day.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I still cannot connect to this game, always receive Error retrieving pilot data, and during the loading screen the game reboots to the beginning screen logos all over again.

I thought this issue was fixed a long time ago?

Someone please look into why my account cannot join.  I tried playing this when it launched and had this issue so I gave up.

I'm returning to try it now that there has been patches and perhaps it's more stable?

I play on Wired connection to internet with 300MB speed internet.

PSN:  DARKB1KE

Message 1 of 10 (194 Views)

Re: [PS4] Error retrieving pilot data - still having problems since launch day.

★★ Guide

Is your PS4 connected directly to your modem or to a router that’s connected to your modem?

There is a possibility that opening (forwarding) these ports in your router will help your connectivity:

ANTHEM

PLATFORM: All (PC, Xbox, PS4)
TCP: 443, 8080
UDP: 3659, 21000-26000

Another option to try just as a temp test would be to either disable firewall on your router or to assign your PS4 a DMZ (passthrough) IP address. If this cleared up the pilot error you would at least know the issue was related to a network communication in your router.
Message 2 of 10 (182 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Spiritual-Zombie I have it wired to the modem.

Thanks, but my IP does not allow port forwarding (Shaw Cable - Canada). I've tried before and it just resets, so it has some default locking/reset on it. This is not an option unfortunately.

Other multiplayer games work just fine.

Customers should not have to muck around to get this game to work.
Message 3 of 10 (176 Views)

★★ Guide

Agreed, you shouldn’t have to mess with a router. I had similar issues with pilot error almost every time I played. For me wired connection solved it — but clearly there is something ridiculously overly sensitive and fragile with Anthem’s network connection handling. 

Just trying to figure out where the breakdown is occurring. Do you have any option in the router/modem to disable a firewall? Or to specify a DMZ? 

This is would be more to diagnose the issue. If disabling the firewall or setting the PS4 as a DMZ connection worked then at least you would know it wasn’t a corrupted install. 

Also, wondering if a WiFi connection from your PS4 behaves any differently. 

Anyway, sorry I’m not more help. Just tossing ideas out there.

Message 4 of 10 (170 Views)

Champion

I’ve been getting a ton of these errors on PC as well, especially in freeplay. It also feels like it happens more often when I try to group with someone rather just queue solo. I know my DSL technically doesn’t count as “high speed internet” these days but, seriously, the loadout data should be a few kilobytes at most, so I’m really confused as to how it’s managing to fail. Even if it’s downloading the entirety of the data associated with the pilot (including all the cosmetics and unread cortex entries) and it takes up a megabyte or two, it still shouldn’t be an issue to download it while the game is loading the level.

It does also feel like some server instances are more prone to it than others. My best guess is it might be a combination of packet loss somewhere along the way and the game sending that data over UDP (which means losing any of the packets will corrupt the loadout data). Of course, I would also imagine they would have fixed it by now if it was something as trivial, but I can’t think of any other reason for that error.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 5 of 10 (150 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I recommend checking your ISP's bufferbloat. Used to be disconnected during raids in an mmo I used to play. Bufferbloat was preventing my client from replying to the server in a timely manner, so the server thought I was disconnected. This happened to about a third of my raid team and began overnight, so we were pretty sure it wasn’t changes with the game servers. It’s like overnight ATT turned on the buffering for Upload data. My bufferbloat measured at more than 4K ms, thanks ATT Frown . A new router with quality of service (QoS) options solved my issue. The ISP hardware would be used as a 'modem' and the new router would distribute that for the house. Basically, you test your connection speed, then set the max speed your router sends to the ISP to be 10% less than that max. Supposedly, you shouldn’t see as much buffering, and have fewer connection issues. My favorite test is the one provided at www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Don't use the speed test link your isp provides, that usually won’t tell you anything. 

Here is a good place for some basic info on bufferbloat. What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/

just setting the qos worked fine when I had disconnects in raid, you might need to do something else.

Connection problems aren’t always the game servers fault, even if other games work fine. Need to perform due diligence and make sure there’s nothing on your end.

Personally, for Anthem, switching to hardwire ethernet instead of WiFi solved MOST of the pilot data errors. ATT bufferbloat is still horrendous.

Hope this helps. I’m no network engineer, Just relating what has worked for me.

Message 6 of 10 (138 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Have you tried changing DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary?  Worked for me.

Message 7 of 10 (112 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Message 8 of 10 (99 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Jonny_CastillouxYou're unable to change any settings on this modem. Plus it disconnects other devices If I set to passthrough/etc.

Technicolor DPC3848V DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway
Other users describing exactly the problem with this modem:https://app-community.shaw.ca/thread/37334

Message 9 of 10 (98 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@DarkByke I did it through my PS4.  You can't do anything with my modem, either.  I went to "Settings" on my PS4 and chose to "Connect to Internet" and then "Custom" instead of "Easy".  I left everything the same except when you can chose the DSN settings.  You can change it there.  I hope you find a solution that works - I was frustrated for quite a while before I did this.

Message 10 of 10 (61 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help