PC vs Console

by Hypodactylus

Original Post

PC vs Console

★★★ Novice
I have played significant amounts of Apex on both PC and Playstation. I've noticed that the game is significantly more difficult on PC than it is on Playstation, especially recently. I am consistently matched up with people who are far more skilled than I, my win rate is far lower, and my K/D R is significantly lower as well.

I am curious to know why this is the case, since Apex Legends has skill-based matchmaking. I assume the matchmaking algorithms are the same for console and PC. As a result, it should not matter which system I play on; I should be getting matched up with players of a similar skill level. This is also, theoretically, why console players should not worry about playing against PC players; matchmaking should keep similarly skilled players in the same lobbies, regardless of system.

Player counts are obviously healthy in both hardware environments, so this couldn't really be a case of a restricted matchmaking pool. Perhaps matchmaking is based on your account, but not the system used to play? When I switch from Playstation (where I play the most) to PC, perhaps the matchmaking system thinks I am better at the game, relative to the given player pool?

Anyway, not trying to complain. I get matched up with significantly better players on PC and I am genuinely curious to know why.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 17 (1,884 Views)

Re: PC vs Console

Hey @Hypodactylus,

I've moved your post to a more relevant board than EA General Questions.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 17 (1,878 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Phantomlover1717 Okay, thanks!
Message 3 of 17 (1,868 Views)

★★ Pro

@Hypodactylus 

I know I am about to start the classic controversy,

and that this thread will become a literal battlefield soon hitting 50 comments in less than a week if it gets attention,

one thing that probably makes console easier is aim assist, here I said it, come fight me,

anyways another thing is that, since PC is more competetive and console more casual,

it's no surprise,

casual PC players rarely can exist in Apex, the reason is, to play Apex on PC you need a PC that can run 3 Cyberpunk games simultaneously

not every casual player has a beefy PC you see,

which is why on console you can get easier games, because consoles are for both casual and pros,

however pro players want a good pc that can go beyond 60fps, hence why on pc there's more sweatyness aspect,

than on console.

Message 4 of 17 (1,842 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Hypodactylusavg skill lvl is just higher on pc thats why

Console is casual

Message 5 of 17 (1,841 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@damsonwhufndthis and @RevMainPls 
Thank you for your responses!

I understand what you are saying and I won't profess to know how Apex Legend's matchmaking works; however, I think a skills-based matchmaking will neutralize most of the points you raised, as long as the player pool is large enough. 

If your computer is better than my computer, and you are better at Apex as a result, your MMR (matchmaking rank) will be higher than mine.  If your MMR is significantly higher than mine, you should consistently be placed in more skilled lobbies than me.  The same reasoning is why people shouldn't worry about controller users in a PC lobby (or combined console and pc cross-play for that matter); if they are better than you, they won't be in your lobby. If they are worse than you, they also won't be in your lobby.

However, if all PC players are better overall and the user pool is relatively small, I could definitely see that having an affect; I just don't see that being the case at this point in the Apex Legends lifecycle.

Message 6 of 17 (1,818 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Hypodactylus but mostlikely the worst pc players will also be better than the worst console players making the lowest mmr having a higher skilllvl
Message 7 of 17 (1,813 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, that would make sense.

Message 8 of 17 (1,795 Views)

Champion
@Hypodactylus It is because mnk has a higher skill ceiling. I expect you are noticing much better movement and mid to long range shooting on PC.
Message 9 of 17 (1,788 Views)

★★ Guide
@Hypodactylus The casual player base are all on consoles, very few kids can afford PC`s these days and to be honest ive known quite a few long time PC players switch to console, you can pick up a PS5 for £500 odd, that wont even buy you HALF a decent GPU these days and thats IF you can find one.
SBMM has been a bone of contention on PC since release, just look back over the forum posts, no one has a handle on how it actually works and a lot of people suspect it just doesnt.
My own theory is that SBMM just cannot account for the glaring difference between pre made and random squads, the obvious adantages of pre mades speak for themselves, a premade at mid skill level will wipe the floor with a player of the same level who is struggling to even keep his squad together, then you believe youve been beamed by pros, the truth is they are just working together and communicating.
Aim assist DOES make a massive difference, i wont argue the point, i know im right, i was around when microsoft initially trialed cross play and failed becuase of the gulf of difference between controller and mnk, its WHY iam assist was implemented.
And honestly, if you switch between the two you will never improve the skill on either, they are just TOO different
Message 10 of 17 (1,744 Views)