Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

PAY2LOOKGOOD?

by p7caro

Original Post

Highlighted

PAY2LOOKGOOD?

★★★★ Novice

So apparently they said there won‘t be any loot boxes that you can buy or anything similar to gain stats for your javelin.

I guess this means they will release purchasable Outfits/Designs.

Thoughts ?

Message 1 of 8 (118 Views)
Highlighted

Re: PAY2LOOKGOOD?

★★★★★ Apprentice
You are right, there are many screenshots / topics or threads on internet about this, you can use google to search for others opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (111 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@p7caro wrote:

So apparently they said there won‘t be any loot boxes that you can buy or anything similar to gain stats for your javelin.

I guess this means they will release purchasable Outfits/Designs.

Thoughts ?

I actually used in game currency to open up a vinyl. I can tell you now, the way the screen animation worked, they were going to have loot boxes in this game.  But im guessing, because of the back lash other games have had, they moved away from it.

If the game is good and it keeps me playing for years i don't mind paying for outfits. The way i see it is im tipping the devs because im enjoying myself.

I also believe that the cosmetics can be unlocked through grinding but whether this remains true or not only time will tell.

Message 3 of 8 (110 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

@labtud 

I saw a screenshot from one of the Live Reveals that showed outfits for sale.  Could use Coin or Shards, which tells me you can either buy it (by purchasing Shards) or earn it (by getting Coin in game).  That means everyone can get them, regardless of spending money.  And as far as I'm concerned, this is absolutely perfect.

As you wrote, if the game is good and keeps me playing, I'll happily buy an outfit here and there.  If the game doesn't continue to cost me a big chunk every year, I'm fine with sending a few smaller chunks for stuff I really like.

And if that helps fund the future content, and keeps the game free, then that sounds like a pretty good win-win to me.  Standard smile

Message 4 of 8 (87 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide
Bioware did say that the items can be earned through gameplay.

As of right now, I'm expecting the in game Coin to be scarce and the Shard cost of items to be on the high side. There has to be an upside to purchasing items with real money right?

Does it bother me? No. But if EA gets too greedy, I will never buy anything with real money.

I'm rationalizing it like this: The LoD edition cost me $20 more than the standard, and included 3 Armor packs (you already got the Ranger one for preordering) plus, a few other odds and ends. So, I'm putting a value of about $5 on each armor pack. Thats what I expect to pay for armor packs in the game.
Message 5 of 8 (84 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@IVPhoenixIX 2+2 is 4 - 1 that’s 3 quick maths :c

Message 6 of 8 (82 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

@p7caro wrote:

@IVPhoenixIX 2+2 is 4 - 1 that’s 3 quick maths :c

I'm not sure what your math is in regards to.  

Message 7 of 8 (69 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

The whole "you can earn it all in game" argument is, in theory, a perfect fix. But it all depends on the balance between the cash shop currency and the in-game currency. Giving players the option to buy cash shop cosmetics for in-game currency is fantastic, always. But if we run into a situation where something costs 100 cash shop credits but costs 1,000,000 in-game credits then gives out 100 credits per mission? That's basically not an option, because you'd have to grind for literal days just to earn a single item. 

I don't mind spending five or so hours to save up for a cosmetic item with in-game cash, that's fine. But if the devs expect people to grind for weeks on end compared to spending $10 or whatever, that's not cool. The money and time investment should be evenly spread, because in a game like this, players are content and giving users incentive to keep playing by itself is a source of revenue as it means more people to buy DLC and encourage further customers.

No lootboxes is huge, though. EA have been one of the most aggressive companies when it comes to pushing microtransactions in their premium games. So while I have no doubt that Anthem will also suffer the scourge of being "fee-to-pay" (a premium, full price title that still makes people pay more for in-game items) it's possible that it can still do so without leaving a bad taste in everybody's mouths.

Hopefully all this stuff with Battlefront 2 and the recent FIFA debacle will mean that EA is a lot more restrained with Anthem's treatment. I mean, their track record isn't good, but at least that means they have plenty of room for improvement, right?

Message 8 of 8 (49 Views)
Twitter Stream