Re: Other games copying Apex

by pandareno1999

Original Post

★★ Expert

If Fortnight ends up having Titanfall 2 movement I might actually try it.

With all the annoying kids on mute. Forever.

Message 11 of 26 (393 Views)

@Cro_Pittt Those mechanics were deliberately left out of Apex because the skill gap from movement was one of the downfalls of Titanfall. It was an accessibility decision.
Message 12 of 26 (392 Views)

★★ Expert
@pandareno1999 Skill gap? For Movement?

The Titanfall movement was the most INSTINCTIVE movement of any FPS I have ever played. _And I am terrible at these games._ If I can get it, so can everyone else.
Message 13 of 26 (384 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@pandareno1999 Downfalls? It was a good thing lol, as @Kyldenar said, either learn it or i'm sorry but get eaten by better players.

Message 14 of 26 (383 Views)

★ Pro
@Kyldenar
There are definitely people in titanfall that can utilize that movement better than others.
I enjoyed the movement, but I wasn't the best for sure. Even then the lobbies weren't too terribly matched, most people were around my own skill level with the occasional pro like player that was impossible to get a decent shot on.
If apex implemented that type of movement, with how horrible their match making is, it would be even worse than it is now.
As for fortnite...I really don't see how wall running will work? It's a third person game and their walls aren't exactly long enough for a decent run.
Their lobbies might suffer a little bit at first too between the people who can pick it up easier than those that struggle a bit with such mechanics.
Message 15 of 26 (359 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Cheese9Manthis makes me physically ill, I am so sick of the other games blatantly copying Apex Legends. Black Desert Online for example has open world PvP. Next thing you know they will be dropping the players from Marni's Zeppelin as it passes over Heidel! Not sure how that will work without the jet packs... whatever.

Marnis_Airship.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8Cf2fR4x/Marnis-Airship.jpg

And Respawn's lawyers should really take a long hard look at Fall Guys.

Message 16 of 26 (352 Views)

★★★ Expert
@Cheese9Man

Reminds me of a discussion I once had on Halo Waypoint where a guy was saying, "Name a feature of Halo that wasn't stolen directly from CoD. You can't. Guns. CoD had them first. Movement. CoD original. Throwing controllers at TVs when angry. Yup, that's CoD." Obviously he was being funny because in truth there were quite a few Halo originals that CoD lifted. And that's fine. That's as it should be. The only problem with devs borrowing liberally from one and other is that you run the risk of ending up with a very homogenous set of Big Titles. I don't think we're quite yet to the point where all individuality is wrung out of games, but we might get there at some future point. Who can say?

Oh, and the ping system belongs in every team-based game there is. It's a good example of something so right that even 343 wasn't ashamed to lift it.
Message 17 of 26 (348 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Kyldenar Didn't you tell us before that you avoided TF2 multiplayer and only played coop? That might account for this opinion.  What's your take on tap strafing in Apex?  Do you find it problematic, or something that ought to be in the game?  That's another movement mechanic that defined good TF2 players.

The funny thing is that, despite the earlier design philosophy of trying to avoid having too high a skill floor, that's exactly what has occurred with Apex over the years.  I think pretty much everyone agrees that the new user experience in Apex kind of sucks because of skill gap.

Message 18 of 26 (345 Views)

★★ Expert
@pandareno1999 I prefered the Frontier Defense co-op yes, but when I couldn't find a match of that and needed to scratch the itch, PvP it was.

I did... just ok. It's not near as bad as a BR because at least the teams are evenly matched. Oddly, my biggest problem was using the Titan enough (when it was available). I have the same problem in Apex of holding on to my ult for "just the right moment" too.

As for tap strafing, if you can pull it off, whatever. Honestly, I have seen very little of it. Most times I am lasered by an R-301 in the head long before I am close enough where tap strafing would matter.

I'll never be doing it because I am a controller player from the carpal tunnel. If anything, people being able to do the loot box shuffle angers me more than tap strafing. Make everyone sit still and take that risk to loot a box!
Message 19 of 26 (316 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Cro_Pittt Technically Octane can double jump (w/ the pad) & wall run/ceiling glide lol.
Message 20 of 26 (300 Views)