Origin won't open. PC updated and now error

by SkylarHopee

Original Post

Origin won't open. PC updated and now error

★ Novice

I generally log into Origin every day to play the sims, PC updated, and since then I've been getting an error that says: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "". Available platform plugins are minimal, offscreen, windows. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. 

I'd prefer not to delete and then redownload origin because I don't want to risk having to redownload all of my games again.

The catch is, I can still play the sims. When I click on my Sims 4 shortcut, it takes me to the Origin log in screen, then it will open Origin once I'm in-game. If I exit the Sims Origin will freeze up and stop responding completely. I've tried deleting the custom content I had and that didn't help. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 8 (1,897 Views)

Re: Origin won't open. PC updated and now error

Community Manager

Hey @SkylarHopee this error is a Windows error and not an Origin one,  the best thing to do is go ahead and run System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Let us know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 8 (1,880 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@EA_DarkoI have the same problem some files have been repaired thanks to the command prompt, however i still get @SkylarHopee error and i can't play any games or either open the Origin Application.

Message 3 of 8 (1,842 Views)

★★ Novice

I am also having the exact same problem. Also tried different commands of cleaning up my pc with the command prompt. It did delete some corrupted files.but i still can't start the sims 4.

Message 4 of 8 (1,824 Views)

★ Novice

So my case has been marked Resolved, where do i see the actual response???

Message 5 of 8 (1,784 Views)

could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "".

★★★ Newbie

Still can't play Origin games 

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "".

This error is all over the internet, no solution outside reinstall. I have uninstalled this with Revo and other uninstall programs alike completely removing it, restarting then installing as full admin UAC control, nothing. Tried different install locations etc. No go. A month ago the issue was not apparent although I rarely use origin. This is annoying. Please a good solid breakdown of fixing this issue I think would benefit people greatly. It seems far to common.

Message 6 of 8 (1,777 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

it's safe to say you guys "washed your hands" about this problem, is been over 2 weeks and no has reply to me or the other Users. I contacted you and took 6 days to answering me by email marking my problem as solved still without an actual reply! then to proceed closing my ticket? really!?! Origin is the only platform where i encountered this problem weird right?

To summarize i'm really disappointed and as far i'm concerned i'm done purchasing any present or future game made by EA.

Message 7 of 8 (1,442 Views)

★★★ Newbie

C:\>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1139

Image Version: 10.0.18363.1198

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Message 8 of 8 (985 Views)