Origin pricing strategy vs Non digital Retailers

by en4orcer

Original Post

Origin pricing strategy vs Non digital Retailers

★ Novice

Hi !

Im just puzzled. Seams all non digital retailers (5 diffrent of them) in my hometown have Mass Effect Andromeda (PC) for massive discount beginning from 50% up to 80%. 

So i go to a retailer i get a box and inside it there is a code for unlocking "Mass  effect Andromeda" in the Origin online store? So whats the catch ?

So retailers seams to undercut your pricing for this specific game. The games is 15 month old. So not sure why your running full price on it ? 

Either you forgot to adjust the price of this 15 month old game or you dont want Origin online store to be competitive against your partner retailers ?

Message 1 of 5 (416 Views)

Re: Origin pricing strategy vs Non digital Retailers

[ Edited ]

Don't know what price you are seeing...maybe it is a regional thing.  I am in the USA and my origin lists the standard game at 19.95$ and the Deluxe for 29.95$  which is between 1/2 and 1/3 release price as I think it was originally 59.95 standard and 69.95 on Deluxe editions.  I also know Origin does run sales and will again.

What kind of price are you seeing in Origin and where are you??

Edited to correct original Deluxe Edition price that I paid for it....looked in history and found it was 69.95$.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5 (402 Views)

★ Novice

So i converted the price from SEK. Standard games is 320$. And 400$ for delux version.  I bought my game-code at retailer for 8$.

Andromeda seams to have been a fair bit expensive at releese as you say, 59.90$ and 69.90$.

Thanks for quick reply. 

Message 3 of 5 (392 Views)

60$ USA is 515$SEK according to the converter I found...

400$SEK is about 46$USA...maybe a bit high, but unknown about local taxes, conversion fees and any fees/taxes on international trade.

Now was that 8$ SEK or USA??  Also game code retailers can be hit or miss, as they depending on the retailer and ethics sometimes have not quite legal codes...other times they are just selling stuff for micro profits and thus are using pure volume to stay in business.  Depending on the retailer and the product they sell, you can have vast range in markup on retail products...I am not in video game retail so I don't know how that end works, but retail can have huge profit margins depending on products.  I know the business I work for, sells a product it buys for 60$ for 100$ thus making 40%....most fast food makes anywhere from 25% to 500% depending on the item....for example Softdrinks cost about 10-12 pennies USA, and sell from 80 pennies to 300 Pennies(3.00$USA) up to 8$USA in movie theaters. 

Glad you got the game for a good price, be careful with your game code sellers and only buy from ones you know and have a good rep.  You did what any good consumer should do it sounds like....shop, compare, look for sales and buy smart....good job.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 4 of 5 (385 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@en4orcer @mcsupersport

It depends on when you're checking... if you were to check now - IT'S ON SALE! Party hat

Do remember that opposed to a digital retailer, physical retailers have incentive to make sure they sell out of their copies. Think about clearance sales each summer / winter for clothing stores. They can drop prices as low as they have to make sure they sell stock.

Message 5 of 5 (313 Views)