Re: Origin does not exit when pressing "X"

by Critofur

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin does not exit when pressing "X"

★★★ Apprentice

It is expected behaviour for the Program to fully close when you press the X button.

Otherwise i could just use the minimize button. There should at least be an option for this.

Until this is fixed i wont use origin.

Message 1 of 8 (597 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@Konsulistan  To fully close Origin, open the Origin dropdown menu (in the upper left corner) and select Exit.  Steam is the same, by the way: if you X it out, it's still running; you have to open the dropdown menu and choose to exit it instead.  Other game launchers may work the same as well, but I'd have to check.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (572 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@Konsulistan  To fully close Origin, open the Origin dropdown menu (in the upper left corner) and select Exit.  Steam is the same, by the way: if you X it out, it's still running; you have to open the dropdown menu and choose to exit it instead.  Other game launchers may work the same as well, but I'd have to check.

Message 2 of 8 (573 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict 

Of course we already knew that - that is NOT helpful, that is not what we're talking about.

We want the app behavior to be fixed, to not stay running in the background when we close it, without asking our permission to do so first.  We want it to behave properly: when we press X eXit the app.

I am so extremely frustrated that this bad behavior has not been fixed yet - it bothers me every time I play a game that requires the Origin "launcher" and makes me want to stop buying games from this company. 

Message 3 of 8 (513 Views)

@Critofur  As I mentioned, this is intended behavior and not anything requiring a "fix."  Steam does the same thing, as do many other apps in Windows and macOS.  X closes the window, which is also a reasonable interpretation of what an X button should do, especially when you consider that Xing out one window of several does not quit an app itself.

If you don't think I'm being helpful, that's fine, but EA makes Origin the way it does deliberately and for its own reasons.

Message 4 of 8 (508 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict 

People sometimes "intend" to rob banks, that doesn't mean it's appropriate or acceptable. 

Neither is violating the norms of good GUI design by ignoring the user attempting to eXit the app by "minimizing to the system tray".

What makes it particularly offensive is that not only does it (the app) not ask for the user's permission to do this first, it does it by default!  As a bare minimum, the Origin app should at least give us a menu option to turn off this unwanted and offensive behavior.

Your reply was basically just "putting salt on the wound" - perhaps your intent was to be a troll?  We are already extremely frustrated by this bad behavior having unhelpful people suggest a "work around" that we obviously would already know is insulting and accomplishes nothing other than increasing our frustration.

Message 5 of 8 (506 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @Critofur @Konsulistan, thanks for your feedback regarding the Origin app. 

As Puzzle indeed mentioned correctly, the described behaviour of Origin is working as intended and is therefore not a bug or error in the software. When you fully want to close off Origin, you can indeed follow the steps that Puzzle mentioned previously, or right-click on the icon in the system tray and click on "Quit Origin".

(Origin also needs to be running in the background for a game to properly function, by the way)

Origin does give a one-time notification (when you freshly install the program) that pressing the "X" button does not fully close Origin, but that it will keep running in the background and that it can be fully closed or opened via the system tray. Unfortunately, this is not an option that you can turn off, but we thank you for your feedback.

I would also please ask you to stay on topic, nobody here has any intentions of 'trolling' anyone, we're all here to help one another.

Thank you.

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 6 of 8 (498 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Leeuw 

Well, I too "would also please ask you to stay on topic".

Explaining to us ad nauseum how to close Origin is off topic and offensive - our issue is specifically regarding the app not behaving the way we want it to on our PCs.

We want to be able to have it exit when we press X, we are not asking for some other method to close it.

We don't want it to minimize when we press X unless we are asked if that behavior is acceptable first.

While I understand that the developers may want the app to keep running in the background, it's not appropriate to override the PC owner's preference without asking them if it's OK first.  It is particularly not OK to do so w/out giving them an option to turn off that unwanted behavior.

Message 7 of 8 (477 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Critofur, unfortunately, this thread is going off-topic quite fast it seems.

As we mentioned earlier, there is currently no such option to fully close Origin by pressing on the X button, but we appreciate your feedback and it has been passed on to the teams.

To avoid the thread from escalating further, I will now lock this thread.

Thank you again for the feedback and enjoy the rest of your day.

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 8 of 8 (472 Views)