Re: Origin Spotlight - Silent Background Updater

by Straatford87

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

you cant trust an origin adviser, a few days ago I had one asking for my security login details

Message 11 of 18 (1,325 Views)

EA DICE Team

@cableguy33333

Hi,

Do you perhaps mean that we asked your security question and answer? That is standard procedure by our agents, and is used to verify that you are the owner of an account before we make any changes to it.

I want to make sure that you don't feel uncomfortable with our EA Advisor if you are in need of their help. So if there's anything that you aren't sure about, please let me know!

Kind regards,

Message 12 of 18 (1,320 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi Tom yes I do feel uneasy about giving that information to anyone, i have no idea who these people are and yet they possibly know answers to any security sign in for anything as my infant school or first pet will never change, so if they want they could now gain access to anything, all they have to do is say they forgot a password and bang what was your first pets name and bang they're in to what ever account they want. I'd rather give out a password than a security answer, I think it's a ridiculous system and I'd love to know why EA has blocked every sims3 game apart from the ones i got off steam. They dont even inform you and let you destroy your pc thinking it's your end when clearly it's EA. Anyway this whole experience has put me off any more EA or Origin products, I will go back to Steam thanks

Message 13 of 18 (1,299 Views)
Highlighted

EA DICE Team

@cableguy33333

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I completely understand your worries, and I wouldn't be comfortable with giving away private information either. Let me further clarify which type of personal information we'll be asking for, and why. Hopefully this will take away any further worries that you might have. 

An Advisor will never ask for your password. The other details that they would like to confirm with you are already visible to us. They just want to make sure that you are who you say you are. For example, let's say another person knows your email address and calls us - if we wouldn't ask to confirm your security answer then it would leave your account open to harm.

I'm also really sorry to hear that you lost access to your Sims games. I can only imagine how shocked you must have been when you first found out that the games have gone missing. I do want to thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns so that we can point you in the right direction. In this case, please reach out to lets_talks@ea.com so they can take a look as to why the games are missing.

Lastly, Steam is great. I play games there too. But do please let me know if you've got any further questions about your EA games or Origin. I want to make sure that you can enjoy playing your game just as much on Origin.

Kind regards,

Message 14 of 18 (1,291 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This would be great if it actually would update in the background.  Instead, it still waits until I want to actually play a game before it then makes me wait for a 6GB BF1 download.  Steam gets this right, why can't Origin?  This is a bigly problem.  SAD!

Message 15 of 18 (1,088 Views)

EA DICE Team

@FragProvider

Hi,

The Silent Background Updater is only for Origin updates. However, having it also work for game updates would be great! I've forwarded this to the team in the meantime to be looked at.

Lastly, thanks for stopping by to post your comments - we really appreciate it. Give me a shout out if you've got any further questions or comments.

Kind regards,

Message 16 of 18 (1,073 Views)

★★★ Newbie

why cant i add friends?

Message 17 of 18 (941 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

This is just risky. Origin is a bit of a mess. It randomly stops working altogether, or sucks up loads of bandwidth (especially during gameplay) killing the internet connection completely until it or the game is closed. I already posted in the General section about it and was met with "whats the route?" because all they saw was "game lag" mentioned in passing, which makes no sense to ask about since the incident kills ALL internet connectivity which I made clear in the rest of the post.

The number of times I've had to reinstall Origin because it wouldn't open (sometimes for two days and then suddenly it opens just fine), wouldn't log me in, or wouldn't connect for hours (sending/receiving data so large that my internet connection was 100% unusable and Origin couldn't connect to it's own servers) for several days compared to Steam is ridiculous. I have NEVER had to reinstall Steam because of it breaking in any way, because it never breaks. If you want to have a match to Steam, you have to have a program that functions and doesn't need to be reinstalled unless the system has had a fresh install. I haven't had to reinstall Steam in the last 5+ years. This year alone I've had to reinstall Origin 4 times because it quit working in one way or another, and the "troubleshooting" was useless to fix it. I'm still seeing beta tests in my library that shouldn't be there anymore, and I often wonder if my connection to incorrect game servers is a result of Origin sending incorrect data because of some stored data that contains incorrect information.

You are all listening and changing features, and that's great! A pat on the back for sure! But there are so many larger issues at work that need to be dealt with, and should be dealt with first. Being delayed by an update is far less of an issue than not being able to play at all because the client is busted. The influx of "X is broken" would be so low if this client received a long look at and, if needed, given an overhaul to work far more efficiently. It's better than when it released, but it has much room for improvement. I can't remember when the last time was that I saw a "Y about Steam doesn't work" regarding Windows version. 

Those are my comments. My only question is: Can we turn it off completely, and when Origin is reopened will it show that there's an update? Many have * internet, like myself, and we don't need more "download when idle" going on. My only complaint about Steam is that client updates can't be shut off (at least not from the client).

Message 18 of 18 (823 Views)