Re: Origin Spotlight - Move/Locate Installed Games

by Aveture2

Original Post

Origin Spotlight - Move/Locate Installed Games

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Origin Spotlight

ORIGIN SPOTLIGHT - MOVE OR LOCATE YOUR INSTALLED

The December Origin update added two new options to help you manage your installed games:

• Move Game - easily move your games from one location to another on your computer. That way you don’t have to redownload them.
  • Locate Game - need to help Origin find where your game’s files are located on your computer? You can tell Origin where to look so you don’t have to download the files again.

How does it work?

With a simple right-click in your Origin My Game Library, back up your games so you do not have to redownload them. Click your game tile of choice and you'll see one of the following options:

LocateGame.PNG

Click Locate Game to tell Origin where on your system your game is installed

MoveGame.PNG

Click Move Game to choose your new desired install location

That's it! But if you're looking for more info on this feature you can check out our full Back Up and Restore Your Games With Origin article on EA Help.

WANT TO TALK TO US ABOUT THESE CHANGES?

Check out the full Origin Patch Notes and drop a comment in this thread. We would love to hear from you!

Message 1 of 8 (13,745 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Would this work too if I were to back up and relocate my games onto a newer computer?

Message 2 of 8 (13,174 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Aveture2 

Hey there,

You can only move/locate something on a hard drive that's currently discoverable on your system. That means if you have a new computer:

Yes - this method will work if you've moved your games onto a portable hard drive

No - this method won't work if you don't have access to a portable hard drive and are on a completely new system

Hope that helps Standard smile

Message 3 of 8 (13,119 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Whew, thanks. I was worried for a second there. I did buy a portable hard drive over the weekend so it's good now.

Message 4 of 8 (13,117 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Aveture2 

Sorry that I wasn't able to confirm sooner. But the good news is indeed that you're set to go with the portable HDD :-)

Cheers,

Message 5 of 8 (13,112 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

This is a nice update, however:

1. Why can't Origin just automatically detect installed games in the specified folder?

2. If point 1 is not possible for whatever reason, please let us at least be able to locate multiple games simultaneously, e.g. with checkboxes or something similar. It's very tedious to have to locate each game one by one, especially if you have over a dozen games.

Message 6 of 8 (12,343 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have been installing, uninstalling and re-installing the Origin app the past few days.

At some point I get the app not to crash after signing in. At this point I start telling Origin where to locate my installed games, which only works for Battlefield Bad Company 2. When I do the same for C&C:Tiberium Twilight, Origin says it cannot locate a game in a root folder (although it is located in the same directory as every other game). As soon as I locate the Battlefield 3 game folder, the app crashes and does so until I uninstall and reinstall the application.

I have a Radeon screencard and have tried all the fixes related to loading Origin exe's in the Radeon app as games and disabling all the features.

What else can I do to make the app not crash and for it to locate my games without crashing? At this stage I cannot play any of my EA/Origin games.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 with AMD Radeon Adrenaline 2020 drivers for my RX580 GPU.

Message 7 of 8 (9,906 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

My Sims 4 game won't start and I've tried EVERYTHING. It says it won't transfer my data from legacy editon or summin.

SOS Lol na seriously. I'm panini PRESSED. Help me xo

Message 8 of 8 (8,944 Views)