Re: Origin Spotlight - Download Speed Management, and More!

by mgdemian86

Original Post

Origin Spotlight - Download Speed Management, and More!

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

UPDATE: We've made further changes to the FPS Counter to improve visibility issues.

original.jpg

Hi all,

Welcome to another edition of Origin Spotlight!

This Origin update is all about making things easier for you. And to do that, we’ve taken suggestions directly from the community. Let’s take a look at what’s been added.

Managing your download speed

As a community, you’ve passionately shared that being able to manage your download speed is a must have. You’ve also shared that it’s long overdue to make an appearance on Origin. We've got good newsit’s here.

Check it out in this video:

Origin being able to manage your download speed? They said it was just a myth!

How it works:

1. Click on Origin → Application Settings → Download Restrictions.
  2. Choose between various download speeds inside or outside of gameplay, or completely turn off downloads while in-game.

Monitoring your frame rate (FPS)

If you’re playing on Origin, then it’s likely you’re all about pushing your system to the limit (looking at you, PC master race folks). We’re here to help. Origin can now display your fps so you can measure your performance.

See what it looks like on this screenshot:

FPS Counter.png

Note: it’s frames per second, not frags per second. You’ve got skills, but nobody’s that awesome!

How it works:

1. The FPS monitor works independently from the Origin in-game overlay.
  2. You can display the counter in any corner of your screen.
  3. You can enable or disable the FPS counter via Application Settings → Origin in-game → During Gameplay.

Cross-game party invites

The recent party invite update allowed you to instantly join your friends while playing the same game. But what about friends playing a different game? Well, now that’s possible too—cross-game invites are here.

Check out a cross-game invite in action:

Get ready to jump into another galaxy with a single click or keystroke!

How it works:

1. Enable the Origin Beta via Origin → Application Settings → Participate in Origin client betas. Make sure your friends also enable the beta.
  2. Receive a game invite from a friend, and click or press Y or N to accept or decline.
  3. Once an invite has been accepted, Origin starts a countdown, giving you another chance to decline before Origin closes your current game.
  4. Once the timer is finished, Origin will launch the new game to party up with your friend.

Note: This feature may not work with some games like Titanfall 2 because of its unique launcher.

When can I try these updates?

Now! These three updates are currently available in the Origin beta. Want to try ‘em out? Opt-in to the Origin beta via Origin → Application Settings → Participate in Origin client betas. Be sure to restart Origin to download the beta update.

As always, we’re on the lookout for your feedback. These updates are just the start to show you we’re listening. So, anything on your mind? You’re invited to drop by for a chat on the Origin Community forums. We’ll be there.

Thank you for playing.

Message 1 of 22 (58,061 Views)

★★ Guide

Can you add two more options for the FPS counter position, like center top and bottom ?

Message 2 of 22 (44,021 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes just like he said the abilty to change the location of the FPS Counter and the abilty to TAKE A SCREENSHOT make it happen!

Message 3 of 22 (42,025 Views)

★★ Novice

When are you going to add chat rooms?

Message 4 of 22 (38,638 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Can we get screenshot function?

Message 5 of 22 (37,175 Views)

★ Apprentice

For some reason, I can't find the FPS counter. I've tried all of the settings, and I can't find it. Help!

Message 6 of 22 (29,484 Views)

★★ Guide

Do you have the Beta client activated ?

Go to Origin > Application settings > Scroll down to Client update > make sure that you have the 'Participate in Origin client betas' option turned ON.

Message 7 of 22 (27,894 Views)

EA DICE Team

@mgdemian86 @xdubcityx @kaca23hr

Noted!

Do you have any specific feedback about how you would like a screenshot function to work in Origin?

@shannen298

I don't have any information to share about chat rooms at the moment, but by you calling it out here, it's been noted as well Standard smile

@z421

As mentioned by @mgdemian86, you can currently only view it if you've got the Origin beta enabled. Could you let us know if that made it visible for you?

Message 8 of 22 (26,911 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yes, I was finally able to get it. I found out that even though I had turned on the beta, I didn't know that I had to update origin to the beta client. Thanks!

Message 9 of 22 (26,553 Views)

EA DICE Team

@z421

Great piece of feedback from your side. I've added in the original article that the client needs a restart once the beta has been enabled.

Thanks for the update!

Message 10 of 22 (25,880 Views)