What's the point in Origin points?

by Anthonyfranken

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Points

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I have acquired quite a few Origin Points, and would like to know where I might spend them, and how to get there. I have previously submitted a question to Origin Support about this, and they can't answer it apparently!?! So, they've advised me to come to the forums for a solution.

Also, I've seen many posts referring to Bioware Points. Are they the same thing?

Thanks. Standard smile

Message 1 of 268 (522,192 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Where can I spend my Origin Points?

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

10/04/2017

Hello everyone,

Here are the current facts relating to Origin Points:

• Origin Points are a visual representation of your gaming prowess on Origin.
  • Similar to achievements, Origin Points can't be used as a currency.
  • Origin Points are not the same as Bioware Points; Bioware Points are used to purchase DLC for older Bioware titles.

View in thread

Message 78 of 268 (328,217 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

I suspect that you are indeed referring to Bioware points. Just for clarification, where did you acquire said points?

You can use these to buy expansions/DLC for various bioware games, and purchase packs for the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

I don't know at this time if they will have any use in the upcoming Dragon Age Inquisition, but we'll be sure to let folks know if that's the case.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 268 (521,823 Views)

★★★ Guide

David,

Thank you for your reply. Sadly, due to Origin's peculiar community forum mechanics, I wasn't notified of your reply, and only discovered it when searching again on where to spend Origin points. On the subject of names, when  I click on the points tally (top right of my Origin games page), it takes me to my achievements page, where the points are clearly named as Origin points.

I acquired my 'Bioware' points in several various games, primarily the Mass Effect Trilogy but Dead Space Trilogy too I suspect. 

I will now go and search for 'where to spend my Bioware points' in the hope of finding a site that shows me what I can buy with my Bioware points.

Thank you again.

Cheers Standard smile

Message 3 of 268 (521,763 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Hey there,

Origin Points is still in development, nothing we know what the future will be of it. But stay tuned - it must be something cool!
Message 4 of 268 (521,759 Views)

★★★ Newbie

at this time nowhere. Here is my suggestion... depending on how many points someone wants to spend I think they should allow us to use them to purchase $10 or $5 games. With those they wont really be loosing that much money & it would encourage people to "gain more points". hint hint origins.

Message 5 of 268 (520,910 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Agreed!!

@YunieBeth wrote:

at this time nowhere. Here is my suggestion... depending on how many points someone wants to spend I think they should allow us to use them to purchase $10 or $5 games. With those they wont really be loosing that much money & it would encourage people to "gain more points". hint hint origins.

Message 6 of 268 (520,417 Views)
Highlighted

What's the point in Origin points?

★★★ Newbie

I don't see the point in the Origin point system, after all it seems that I can't use the points that I've amassed.
Is it just a way for Origin to get it's hands on your credit card?
As much as I play Battlefield 4 I can't seem to be getting any "rewards", I can't seem to be getting anywhere? Confusedmileytongue:  

Message 7 of 268 (235,115 Views)

Re: What's the point in Origin points?

Hero (Retired)

Hi @Anthonyfranken

Origin Points is still in development, nothing we know what the future will be of it. But stay tuned - it must be something cool!

Message 8 of 268 (235,104 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Bioware points are for buying DLC's and multiplayer stuff. You buy those with real cash. No idea on what Origin points can be spent on, you earn those via achievements in games that support them.

Message 9 of 268 (517,002 Views)

★★★ Guide

So, it's about as clear as mud! Standard smile

I've got 'Origin points' according to the Origin Interface, not Bioware points.

They are granted for achievements in some games.

I suspect they may be an overly complex way of comparing said achievements between players.

There is the ever present 'This is just the beginning—big plans for achievements and Origin Points are in the works, so stay tuned.' Yeah? well I'm still tuned, but there's no signal. Standard smile

My best guess is that they're not 'spendable' but are just an indicator of how many achievements in some games I've gotten.

The strangest part of it is, why do they only apply to 3 games? One of which is Battlefield 4, so not an ancient game.

If it's some sort of boasting rights thing, with enticement for players to buy other games, you'd imagine they'd apply them to many more games eh?

Anyhow, I'm no longer seeking to spend them. I'm just putting it in the 'weird things about Origin' box, like, why is my avatar on here a footballer? instead of my Origin avatar!?!  

Unless and until Origin eventually do announce news about Origin points, I'm gonna forget about them. Standard smile  

Message 10 of 268 (514,210 Views)