Re: [Feedback] Purchasing on new Origin store is a hassle.

by Kindled_Vagabond

Original Post

Re: Origin Feedback - No Shopping Cart

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

It's not just about having to put in a discount code or information several different times, but it costs more money in the long run if you go item by item. Each purchase has a tax so having a cart where you can apply a discount to the purchase as a whole (several items) can make the tax total lower because it's based on a percent of your total. Also if you can only buy one item at a time, you might only be able to use a discount code once, so instead of being able to apply that discount to an entire purchase, they make it so it will only apply to one gameThis allows them to make more money off of you if you decide to buy the rest of the games you were planning to.

I'm so disappointed that Origin doesn't have a shopping cart and peeved/miffed when they responded that they Sometimes Do during Sales but only if you Know to Click The Banner. Scummy business practice IMO. They Need to have a cart available at all times for customers to make bulk purchases. It's the right thing to do.

I had decided to finally take the financial dive and start getting all the Sims additions. I was planning on making several custom bundles and bulk buy that, or chip away at them during sales and special promotions. But now I am very tempted to go back to pirating the add-ons instead of giving my money to a game I truly love just because of this no cart nonsense. It's so easy to hire someone to code in a shopping cart into an online retail site. All major online market places have one. Even the small-budget independent shops have one because they know how important it is for their revenue if their customers to buy things in bulk.

EA is a Multi-Billion Dollar company according to their Gross Profits in 2019. Even after taxes and paying all their employees and distributors, they still made Millions in profit.

They can fix it. They just don't want to.

Also, before anyone says anything, I know that the employees are in no way in control of what truly happens to the site. I fully believe that having no cart is a corporate decision in a scummy attempt to get more money, in true EA style, and the employees have no decision in the matter. Please be sure to Support and be Kind to EA employees, but call out the larger corporate practices and big wigs who actually make these decisions. 

A genuine solution to this problem is to raise a stink within the community and make sure your voices are heard. Demand a change in their business practices and maybe we, as the consumers, can finally have a full gaming experience without blowing a paycheck buying expansion packs for another expansion pack.

Plus we can get a gosh darn shopping cart.

Message 171 of 216 (1,439 Views)
Highlighted

Re: [Feedback] Purchasing on new Origin store is a hassle.

★★★★ Novice

It's not just about having to put in a discount code or information several different times, but it costs more money in the long run if you go item by item. Each purchase has a tax so having a cart where you can apply a discount to the purchase as a whole (several items) can make the tax total lower because it's based on a percent of your total. Also if you can only buy one item at a time, you might only be able to use a discount code once, so instead of being able to apply that discount to an entire purchase, they make it so it will only apply to one gameThis allows them to make more money off of you if you decide to buy the rest of the games you were planning to.

I'm so disappointed that Origin doesn't have a shopping cart and peeved/miffed when they responded that they Sometimes Do during Sales but only if you Know to Click The Banner. Scummy business practice IMO. They Need to have a cart available at all times for customers to make bulk purchases. It's the right thing to do.

I had decided to finally take the financial dive and start getting all the Sims additions. I was planning on making several custom bundles and bulk buy that, or chip away at them during sales and special promotions. But now I am very tempted to go back to pirating the add-ons instead of giving my money to a game I truly love just because of this no cart nonsense. It's so easy to hire someone to code in a shopping cart into an online retail site. All major online market places have one. Even the small-budget independent shops have one because they know how important it is for their revenue if their customers to buy things in bulk.

EA is a Multi-Billion Dollar company according to their Gross Profits in 2019. Even after taxes and paying all their employees and distributors, they still made Millions in profit.

They can fix it. They just don't want to.

Also, before anyone says anything, I know that the employees are in no way in control of what truly happens to the site. I fully believe that having no cart is a corporate decision in a scummy attempt to get more money, in true EA style, and the employees have no decision in the matter. Please be sure to Support and be Kind to EA employees, but call out the larger corporate practices and big wigs who actually make these decisions. 

A genuine solution to this problem is to raise a stink within the community and make sure your voices are heard. Demand a change in their business practices and maybe we, as the consumers, can finally have a full gaming experience without blowing a paycheck buying expansion packs for another expansion pack.

Plus we can get a gosh darn shopping cart.

Message 172 of 216 (1,431 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hey Wulfhardt, great words, great truths, Corporate! I do like you and have BOYCOTTED EA/ORIGIN for years now since they've started this crap! Not only does Corporate do this they never read the comments here! They think this is a great marketing scheme but in truth, they are LOSING money! hahaha! I have begged, cried, shouted on this forum so someone would wake up and put the damn cart back in, but they (corporate and their stinking Marketing losers still don't hear their own customers! I just don't understand why a big corporation like them wouldn't want to help make more money? The stupidest reason I heard was that customers like to make one-click purchases! WHO SAID THAT????????

BOYCOTT them I say and spread the word! Too bad because there are about 15 to 20 titles I would love to purchase but won't until they bring back the simple, easy to install shopping cart!

Message 173 of 216 (1,418 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you. I've pretty much been inadvertently boycotting EA for the past couple years simply because they haven't released anything I want to buy. Because of that, I haven't really bought anything nor used their service at all. When I booted up Origin to look at Sims, it needed a huge update because it had been so long. 

I've never really had anything good to say about EA for years now, and will usually playfully bash it if it comes up in conversation. So essentially it's getting no support from me on the web, and I'm telling everyone how much it sucks. 

On one final note though. I don't know if it was a glitch or what, but when I looked back to try and compare prices on Sims bundles, the price had gone up about 15$. It makes me wonder if EA does the same thing airline and hotel websites do where they realize you have an interest in something because they see you keep visiting the page, so they hike the price. Idk, but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to pirating the Sims. It's difficult because I have crappy Wi-Fi and they're constantly patching, updating, adding features, and releasing packs, so downloading it all over again sucks and kills my bandwidth. It's doubly unfortunate because I in no way dislike the Sims team nor the product, and want to support that venture. Not EA as a whole, but want to show my love for a series I grew up with, starting with the first one. 

Capitalism sucks and is not a sustainable system. It's ruining amazing things simply because they want to squeeze every penny it's worth out of its corpse, then get angry when the body starts to smell. 

Message 174 of 216 (1,336 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Kindled_Vagabond wrote:

On one final note though. I don't know if it was a glitch or what, but when I looked back to try and compare prices on Sims bundles, the price had gone up about 15$. It makes me wonder if EA does the same thing airline and hotel websites do where they realize you have an interest in something because they see you keep visiting the page, so they hike the price.

Hey,

I can confirm we don't do that. What most likely happened is one of the following:

1. A caching issue with the Origin client, or web page. This means you see old content and the price will be accurately adjusted once you refresh the page.
  2. A sale just ended, and the price was adjusted.
  3. Newly released packs may have a higher price, or aren't part of an ongoing sale.

I hope that clarifies! There's also option #4 where you did experience a glitch that we're not yet aware of. However, I can definitely confirm we don't hike up the prices based on shopping habits of our players.

Hit me up if you have any further questions on this!

Message 175 of 216 (1,322 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Those are fair reasons. I've just become jaded since the company is known for trying to get as much money out of a product and consumers as it possibly can. So thank you. 

But now that we have your attention:

Why don't we have a shopping cart.

We're just wanting to know why the company and website team haven't implemented such a simple mechanic that the community has been asking for for years. They're not "looking into it" or whatever basic excuse there is, because if they were, we'd have one by now. 

I'm not expecting you to know exactly why, but perhaps you may have some insight that other consumers may not have. Thanks 

Message 176 of 216 (1,310 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Straatford87 What is EA/Origin's problem? Don't they know if they simply added the bloody shopping cart they could earn 10's of thousands of dollars? What a stupid marketing scheme. I purchased over a thousand dollars but haven't purchased anything in years, and won't till they bring it back!
Message 177 of 216 (1,291 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Calm down bud. Obviously the practices of the company are infuriating, but I doubt @Straatford87 knows much more than general consumers do. As I said in my original post, be kind to the employees, they don't get paid enough to deal with a ton of upset consumers ranting at them. It's the higher ups that have an actual say in these matters.

Thank you @Straatford87 for responding in the first place. I do ask that if you do have any insight about either the very suspicious lack of a cart, or really anything that pertains to this thread, feel free to respond or DM me if you don't want in public. Much love to both of you. 

Message 178 of 216 (1,287 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Kindled_Vagabond Hey Wulfhardt, I won't calm down and I wasn't being mean to @Straatford87, I just asked him a question. I mean if you are @EA responding to general questions why not ask them to pass it on to who they work for? This is so much * over such a stupid Marketing scheme I just don't get it. And I don't get any games from EA either! As you said, none of the geniuses at EA/ Origin have a clue so I thought I'd pass on my thoughts on to @Straatford87 in hopes that he really works, or volunteers at EA/Origin, because none of the management gives a *!
Message 179 of 216 (1,194 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Consumerism is a God darn nightmare and EA is amongst the worst of capitalist greed, but again, remain calm and cordial. They immediately shut down people who seem overly aggressive and their message is often discarded because of that. @Straatford87  I'm sure is a good dude who's just doing what is asked, and even his supervisor may be in the dark because EA has so many employees that a supervisor is essentially the equivalent of the employee help desk at a walmart. Yes, perhaps we may get a little more insight as to why we don't have a shopping cart form @Straatford87 's supervisor, or even @Straatford87 himself, but it's not guaranteed. The reasoning for such decisions are so far up the food chain that it's often hard to reach that echelon of corporate to get a straight answer without a proper press pass. 

Are you right to rise a stink and call them out for their bull crap? Absolutely, but don't expect clear answers or even a proper response from those that are being tagged. People are paid to do a job without the actual knowledge as to why they're doing it, and may have no one to turn to, to answer such questions because everything is a mess. 

I'll see what channels I can pursue to get a proper answer from people who actually know how to respond, but there are no guarantees.

I truly appreciate your enthusiasm @ron0549, I'm as fed up with their practices as you seem to be, but patience is a must. And proper, polite communication is necessary to receive adequate responses. If you seem angry and accusatory, they'll discard you and never respond. 

It's a  pain, for sure, and I wish we were never in a position where such measures would be considered, but this is our reality, and we gotta just go with the flow and see what holes we can poke to gain entry. 

Sorry @ron0549 & @Straatford87  If this seems rather ramble-y but it's how I feel. I also feel a bit intoxicated so there's that lol. I hope  both of you have a good one even though only one of you seems to be responding. Peace. 

Message 180 of 216 (1,191 Views)