Re: Origin BETA Client "Review"

by 1PR3DAT0R

Original Post

Origin BETA Client "Review"

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So origin has a new client to launch from for about the last 6 months or so.

Since I have the ability to, I feel I should right a "review"  or just sum up my thoughts about it.

I`m not sure if this is the place to do it, ill give it a go anyways

As long as one person enjoys the read, then i`ll be happy it Tongue out

I understand that it`s still in BETA (as far as I know)

So lets begin, with the old origin. The old origin as I call it, was simplistic in how it looked and worked. Its was easy to navigate and understand, with minimal bugs. The same can't be said for the new one. I have experienced a lot of problems with it, and to be honest i'm not a fan of it. So lets begin with some of the problems.

First off chats with friends cannot be closed, something that I should not have a problem doing, I mean you can close it, but you click on the arrow thing in the middle and then close it, this becomes very annoying when i'm trying to browse or read something on origin. I have also found that the client is rather slow in my opinion and I really don't know whats up with all the loading icons? I never saw the use for having the option to change box art but now that I do I have found that the feature no longer exists. I'm sure many other feel my pain with non origin games. Also about that, it's not there. its gone. you can't add non origin games anymore, and i'm sitting here going "but why?" (I`ve found you can!) I mean, it just seems like you're chasing users away to the behemoth that is Steam with these features that are included and done right. I'm not shooting you down, i'm only pointing this out. Another "but why?" is to the banner on your profile. An idea that I have NO problem with, in fact I quite like it. *cough* Facebook... Never the less, I still really like the idea, and so it stands "edit on EA.com" BAM!  was so exited to give my profile some flare when.. wait.. wtf? No this is just the old origin UI with nothing to do with that. *me screaming for old UI to come back*

Okay, so I guess you have bigger problems to deal with than a damn banner, I mean, who the hell cares? Its a bit like a pre-order: You can have it, but you can't have it.. Anyways so next thing, as I mentioned before you have bigger problems to deal with than a banner, in fact there are many updates for origin, maybe a little to many. It seems every time I open up Origin there is an update and me just drooling at my keyboard and my friend going "another one" I'd prefer if there was a monthly update or every 2 week update, hell even once a week is better than every 60 seconds.(I'm exaggerating) Not to mention it won't even tell you how big the update is and that's a bit of a pain however, It's shows that the team is working hard on the client though. Except it doesn't, so many updates and nothing ever seems to change. Not the CPU or RAM usage, not the speed of the client or am I mistaken? As if only the on the house section is being updated to Theme Hospital again.. (This is a joke i'm only teasing) Origin in-game is dreadful guys. Its slower than a Pentium duel core! If I open it to go to check something on the in-game web browser it will also close when I close origin in-game with the harmless formally known Esc key.. At least you're not Uplay, but they can close the chat.

I really do miss the simplicity of the old origin and the way games where set out, Neat and formal with a clean UI. I mean its not all bad, except personally i'm not a fan but that okay. I'm the only one that seems to really care about this in my large group of friends and that's also okay because everyone has there own opinion. I'd like to see an option for a download region in the future as well as some of the old features. 

Again I understands its still an early build, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Wink

These are my thoughts and I hope the problems are sorted out soon, for everyone's sake. Fingers crossed

EDIT: I've found that you can indeed add non-origin games so my mistake! I've fixed up some errors and made some changes too!

Message 1 of 5 (636 Views)

EA DICE Team

@1PR3DAT0R

Heya,

You're in the right place for feedback!

However, I would strongly suggest that you break up your post somewhat so that it's easier to digest. Most players won't read a post if they see what's called "a giant wall of text". Try adding paragraphs and perhaps even titles for those paragraphs.

Message 2 of 5 (626 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Will do, thanks for the advice!

Message 3 of 5 (612 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Thanks for the edit! Makes it a pleasure to read now.. :-)

In the meantime, I wanted to make you aware that we've got a Feedback Friday thread going on where every Friday, we open a forum thread with the specific purpose to have our players share their thoughts and suggestions regarding Origin with us. Check it out here:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Feedback-Friday-Volume-2/td-p/6043629

Comments based on your feedback can be found below.

@1PR3DAT0R wrote:

I understand that it`s still in BETA (as far as I know)

The new client, or Origin 10 as we call it, is in full release. However, we do still release beta updates for Origin 10 that you can opt-in to via Origin -> Application Settings. 

@1PR3DAT0R wrote: So lets begin, with the old origin. The old origin as I call it, was simplistic in how it looked and worked. Its was easy to navigate and understand, with minimal bugs. The same can't be said for the new one. I have experienced a lot of problems with it, and to be honest i'm not a fan of it. So lets begin with some of the problems.

First off chats with friends cannot be closed, something that I should not have a problem doing, I mean you can close it, but you click on the arrow thing in the middle and then close it, this becomes very annoying when i'm trying to browse or read something on origin.

That you can't close the chat is being looked at by us at the moment. But thanks for taking the time to point it out once more! We're on it.

@1PR3DAT0R wrote: I have also found that the client is rather slow in my opinion and I really don't know whats up with all the loading icons? I never saw the use for having the option to change box art but now that I do I have found that the feature no longer exists.

While it somewhat depends on the speed of your system, we're always looking to make the client provide a smoother experience for everyone.  

@1PR3DAT0R wrote: I'm sure many other feel my pain with non origin games. Also about that, it's not there. its gone. you can't add non origin games anymore, and i'm sitting here going "but why?" (I`ve found you can!) I mean, it just seems like you're chasing users away to the behemoth that is Steam with these features that are included and done right. I'm not shooting you down, i'm only pointing this out. Another "but why?" is to the banner on your profile. An idea that I have NO problem with, in fact I quite like it. *cough* Facebook... Never the less, I still really like the idea, and so it stands "edit on EA.com" BAM!  was so exited to give my profile some flare when.. wait.. wtf? No this is just the old origin UI with nothing to do with that. *me screaming for old UI to come back*

With this do you mean that you would like more options to customize your profile? Including an update to the EA.com account layout?

@1PR3DAT0R wrote: Okay, so I guess you have bigger problems to deal with than a damn banner, I mean, who the hell cares? Its a bit like a pre-order: You can have it, but you can't have it.. Anyways so next thing, as I mentioned before you have bigger problems to deal with than a banner, in fact there are many updates for origin, maybe a little to many. It seems every time I open up Origin there is an update and me just drooling at my keyboard and my friend going "another one" I'd prefer if there was a monthly update or every 2 week update, hell even once a week is better than every 60 seconds.(I'm exaggerating) Not to mention it won't even tell you how big the update is and that's a bit of a pain however, It's shows that the team is working hard on the client though.

This is something actually something we've worked on. We're recently launched a new initiative called Origin Spotlight, where each month we highlight a change that we're making to the Origin client. Why? Just so you know what's changing, that we're listening to you, and to inform you how to best use the new update.

In regards to the many downloads, check out our Origin Spotlight - Silent Background Updater

@1PR3DAT0R wrote: Except it doesn't, so many updates and nothing ever seems to change. Not the CPU or RAM usage, not the speed of the client or am I mistaken? As if only the on the house section is being updated to Theme Hospital again.. (This is a joke i'm only teasing) Origin in-game is dreadful guys. Its slower than a Pentium duel core! If I open it to go to check something on the in-game web browser it will also close when I close origin in-game with the harmless formally known Esc key.. At least you're not Uplay, but they can close the chat.

I really do miss the simplicity of the old origin and the way games where set out, Neat and formal with a clean UI. I mean its not all bad, except personally i'm not a fan but that okay. I'm the only one that seems to really care about this in my large group of friends and that's also okay because everyone has there own opinion. I'd like to see an option for a download region in the future as well as some of the old features. 

Again I understands its still an early build, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Wink

These are my thoughts and I hope the problems are sorted out soon, for everyone's sake. Fingers crossed

EDIT: I've found that you can indeed add non-origin games so my mistake! I've fixed up some errors and made some changes too!

To summarize: yes - we've been working on lots of updates! But we haven't been doing a perfect job at making our players aware that we're listening, and what we're working on with Origin. I hope that I was able to clarify for you how we're working on improving that going forward.

And lastly, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! We really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Message 4 of 5 (597 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Been away for a while, but I appreciate the feedback!

Message 5 of 5 (527 Views)