Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Opinion: Most weapons feel too generic + Firing feedback isn't satisfying

by BubastisII

Original Post

Opinion: Most weapons feel too generic + Firing feedback isn't satisfying

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hey dev team,

I have to say as I said before on these forums: The core of the game is super fun, and has a TON of potential to keep players in (players like me who come to experience the story once, cool, but then it's a loot grind and achievement hunting) because the battle mechanic itself feels very rewarding when you get good at it.

BUT

When you do grasp the idea behind the mechanics, as I said before in a post, even on Hard the game is relatively easy, and then you get to start noticing the problems that could kill the game in the long run.

The biggest problem imo is the weapons themselves, which is big.

They all feel like the embodiment of the stereotype of each kind. Now I don't mind that as a low level weapon, but when the only difference between weapons is the power level, some vague statistics and THAT'S IT, it's really disappointing.

If I like Marksman rifles, and I grind my * off till I manage to get a better one than the one that I already have - and I get the exact same one, but with +1 on the power stat, looks exactly the same, even has the same name... every time... That really sucks.

If you make all the weapons generic till you get to Masterwork and above, well, then they will get unexciting quickly because everyone will only wait to get them. You should have an exciting time getting fresh loot all the way up the levels so when you open a new Javelin you can enjoy the same thrill with a different play style, not only wait for the endgame, you know?

The second problem with weapons is the feedback. The sounds, their looks and the fact there's no alternate fire, no diversity in how to use them... makes the weapons in Anthem feel even more generic than how they look and they are named.

You shoot a regular sniper rife (which I use a lot as a storm against elites with weak spots) and it just feels sad. The shot doesn't blast my headphones, the recoil feels and looks slow, the only indication of the power of a sniper rifle over a regular marksman rifle is the scope and the health bar. It's just not there, and if feels like a very simple thing to tune up. Change up the sounds of the weapons, give them a little visual flare, make the recoil at least look sharp or hard to handle.

• Give weapons better, more dramatic sounds
  • A reload sound that is sharp and catchy when you press R, for example, makes modern shooters feel so much more immersive. It's a small design thing, but it adds up to a lot
  • Please for the love of god give more variety of weapon appearances, names, fire audio - the weapons need a personal touch, they need their own style, not just copies.
  • Recoil. Make it feel like recoil, even if you keep it so players wouldn't have a hard time, at least some

Oh yeah and the diving control is horrible :P

Even when I got used to it...

Thanks!

I'm really hopeful for this game, it could be huge, or it could get old really quickly.

Make an impression! Make the tiny things awesome, just like you did with the flight mechanics, the moving animations and all those personal touches.

The loot just doesn't feel like it's on par, and that's the main thing we're gonna be after in this game!

Can't wait for the changes and improvements!

Message 1 of 6 (135 Views)

Re: Opinion: Most weapons feel too generic + Firing feedback isn't satisfying

★ Apprentice
Post was marked as spam, I bump this because I wanna know if it's only my opinion
Message 2 of 6 (131 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

While for now, I agree with some of your points about weapons, they do seem to get more exotic choices as the rarity increases (2ndary stats/bonuses).

I do agree with the feel of them, and more importantly, their accuracy. 

The rifles for example, have a much higher accuracy, if you literally empty your mag, non stop, without stopping shooting. This to me, makes no sense at all, if anything, it should be the opposite, as recoils, well, is supposed to do THAT Standard smile

I agree with how generic they feel, however, it could well be because it's a demo, and the other stuff, are simply not in (just some hope here Standard smile ).

Message 3 of 6 (125 Views)

★ Apprentice
I don't feel as if the exotic part should be the stats or bonuses, these should accompany the feels of getting a new kickass weapon that looks different, is called different and has different sounds, a slightly different recoil and feel to it, and a different fire rate/dmg by small percentages

So that even similar weapons would feel varied and like I have a choice on how I want my Javelin to look and feel.

It's not that much ask, it should be auto generated within specific parameters. But I think it would improve the loot system greatly. Besides that, the gunplay has to improve a little...
Message 4 of 6 (90 Views)

★ Guide

On the one hand, I thought the weapon sounds and feedback were definitely improved from the alpha, but on the other hand, it didn't go far enough. I like it in general but it could be a lot better -- I think the best way I can describe it is that you feel like you're very far away from the weapon. 

And enemies don't react to being shot in any significant way (that I noticed) - stagger, stumble, impact sparks / hit decals / whatever-ya-callits - so that level of feedback is a bit lacking too. 

Message 5 of 6 (79 Views)

★ Apprentice
Stuff like make the last bullet do a "cling" sound, give a better muzzle flash to weapons (that you see from other players as well), make the shots visible maybe - I mean, all the explosions are over the top, but the bullets are basically unnoticeable...

Variety and flavor are a must for this game to be a quality shooter, this currently is the weakest point imo, and I brought this mostly for the shooter part because I love aim, I feel I get no reward for being an aimer..
Message 6 of 6 (54 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help