Original Post

On the house is gone

★★★★★ Novice

Does anyone know why EA killed 'On The House?' 

Message 2 of 26 (4,658 Views)

On the House is Missing

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

This is my first time using the forums, I hope it is the right section.

I've been keeping my eye for new On the House games. Today when I checked, I was unable to find this section on the Origin program. I checked through all the sections to make sure I wasn't just blanking on the location. Still not seeing it, I checked the actual website for this link: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house. The link redirected me to Origin Access. I just updated the Origin launcher today and repaired it last week after there were some complications. Is this just on my end, or did Origin remove On the House? If it is just me, is there any way to fix it? I am on a 64-bit Windows 10 laptop. Thanks!

Message 1 of 26 (4,633 Views)

Re: On the House is Missing

Community Manager

@ForestWolf01@2712200316

Origin On the House was retired and games will no longer be offered through the program.

This change won’t affect any games you downloaded from the service prior to that date - those are yours to keep forever.

barry.png
Message 3 of 26 (4,713 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi Barry, 

Yes, I know it was retired because I read the other threads stating as much. What I asked is if anyone knows WHY it was retired? Do you happen to know? If so, sharing the answer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Message 4 of 26 (4,594 Views)

★ Novice
Same here. Hope they bring it back. I don't want to pay monthly even if I can play the games for free, £3.99 per month and I can KEEP the games (how many I pick) then maybe?
Message 5 of 26 (4,549 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It looks like even the demos are now locked behind the 4.99 a month nonsense now. It might be time to move on as EA has gone full anti-customer, not that they haven't been anti-customer for some years now, but having to pay to play demos now.... Frown

Message 6 of 26 (4,507 Views)

★★ Pro

@EA_BarryWill I still be able to get the FIFA 19 Demo? from what I understand there should be a tab in the game for the Demo, but I don't see it in FIFA 18, it's because I own the game? if that so, how I get the 19 Demo? where the tab is?

Message 7 of 26 (4,490 Views)

★★★ Novice

EA has not gone against its  customers. Free games were a way to attract gamers to  the Origin service

The reason for stopping the service is it just is not cost effective to continue free games.

EA is a business and businesses need to make money to continue to make great products and provide quality service.

If you did get free games from Origin, you can keep and play them, however you will not be getting any new free games

Like any other terms of service, it can be discontinued at any time with or with reason or notice.

You are free to choose to "move on",  but if the reason is no free games, where will you go for free games? Curious.

In comparison to the other platforms

Steam allows some free to play games. I do not know if you can play them offline, I don't play on steam.

PSN will not allow you to play PS Plus Free games unless you maintain an active subscription. 

XBOX will not allow play for free online without gold, even itf the game is free like world of tanks.

Message 8 of 26 (4,474 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just because On the House is gone doesn't mean that EA will not continue to give away free stuff. I am sure it will still happen. I have seen DLCs be given away without being a part of the On The House. I expect to see some Battlefield freebies go out to correspond with the release of Battlefield 5.

Message 9 of 26 (4,456 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

"EA has not gone against its customers."

okay, I suspect this is how it's going to work here. I'm going to leave a few links such this one  this one and this one then you are going to tell me that at least one of them isn't relevant or whatever. Then it's probably going to devolve into a long flame war and nothing constructive will come of it. 

"Free games were a way to attract gamers to the Origin service"

No one was arguing otherwise that I've seen. 

"The reason for stopping the service is it just is not cost effective to continue free games."

Is that an official reason stated by EA? If so, I'd like to see the Press Release. 

"EA is a business and businesses need to make money to continue to make great products and provide quality service."

Again, I haven't seen anyone argue that EA isn't a business. As for great products, that's debatable. This comes to mind. It's just one of many examples though. 

"If you did get free games from Origin, you can keep and play them, however you will not be getting any new free games"

How thoughtful of you to repeat the same info as every other thread about the on the house retirement has. 

"Like any other terms of service, it can be discontinued at any time with or with reason or notice."

Except that most companies care enough about their current and possibly future customers to give a warning. But this is EA we are discussing. 

"You are free to choose to "move on", but if the reason is no free games, where will you go for free games? Curious."

If the loss of the on the house program was the only reason to 'move on', then that says that person would never have paid for something anyway. I've given EA a few hundred USD for games. My comment was in reference not only to the 'On the House' retirement, but also the DRM among other things that goes with some games. Again, C&C4 comes to mind along with the last Sim City and a few others. 

"In comparison to the other platforms"

This thread isn't about other services nor their pros and *. It's kind of weak to attempt to change the subject when the subject is Origin, EA, their history, and one of their programs. On top of that, no one has asked what other services you have and have not tried. Let's try to stay on topic, please. 

Message 10 of 26 (4,426 Views)