Re: Older Game Keys that will still work on Origin

by Straatford87

Original Post

Older Game Keys that will still work on Origin

★★★★★ Novice

Tried contacting Origin via the chat. My question to them was if they had a list of older games that origin no longer sell but the keys would still work - they replied with a no answer. 

Does anyone have a list? or maybe we can make a list of the games that work and don't work any longer

I know for a fact FIFA 09 works and NBA Live 08 does not work.

That way we won't waste our money buying older games and thinking they will work on Origin

Thanks

Message 1 of 11 (1,611 Views)

Community Manager

@DeBosquez Sorry to say but I am not aware of a list of older games that still work, generally if a code was intended for Origin and has not been redeemed then you will still be able to redeem it, I know that I recently redeemed The Godfather 2 to my account and that's almost a decade old.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 11 (1,553 Views)

@DeBosquez most likely any codes starting with 2010 will work. Also, if certain games were at some point in the Origin store, they should work. Certain retail games may be redeemable via support in certain conditions(proof of purchase), but that vastly depends on the advisor's judgement. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 3 of 11 (1,543 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Darko I know. That's what the Origin workers told me. That's why I propose we make a list of the older games we know will work and which won't.

Lets say someone buys FIFA 2003, they could let us know if that game can be redeem on Origin or not.
Message 4 of 11 (1,525 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@ivrognard I'm sure those ones will as they are not that old. I was referring to older games late 90s and early 2000's
Message 5 of 11 (1,524 Views)

@DeBosquez Except a few very select titles that had a digital re-release, those won't work. 

For the NFS titles: any game starting with Pro Street might be added to the client or granted by the support (they had a digital re-release).

Sims: big no for the original Sims, as it never had a digital release and for Sims stories series (Life Stories, Pets Stories, Castaway Stories). Case by case situation for Sims 2: Ultimate Collection (i think it requires a proof that you have the base game and all the expansions and even then is not a guarantee that the games will be added). Sims 3 can be redeemed witout problems. Sims Medieval and My Sims should also redeem without problems.

Sports games - nothing before 2011 (the launch of the Origin store). 

Battlefield - BF2 and BF2142 might be added, but the games are dead, due to the shutdown of the Gamespy Network, which also meant the death of the official servers. Anything starting with BF: Bad Company 2 should work fine

Medal of Honor - Airborne, Pacific Assault and maybe the original Allied Assault might be granted (for MOHAA, you may need to own the expansions, too, as the digital release is a complete edition). Anything else can be added without a fuss. 

Burnout: Paradise - no problem here

LOTR: BFME - only the Witch King expansion for BFME2, but that is useless without the base game and BFME 1 and 2 can't be redeemed in the Origin, as they had no digital release. 

The Godfather 2 seems to be redeemable for now. The original isn't.

Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for Dune are not redeemable

Command and Conquer: the old games might need to get through support. RA3, C&C3, C&C4 should be redeemable without problems.

Crysis - not sure how they stand, but worst case scenario they may be added by support.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect series are redeemable via client. 

The Alice games should be redeemable

Kingdom of Amalur redeemable

The Saboteur and Mercenaries 2 are redeemable via client. Same for Spore and Syndicate 2012

Sim City Societies - probably only through support

The original Mirror's Edge should be fine and so Dead Space 1/2, too

Anything that did not have a key can't be added in the client by support (games like Ultima, Wing Commander, Dungeon Keeper and so on)

Probably missed a lot more, those have the highest probability to be added. Basically, if a title had a digital re-release, chances are that might be added either by the user or by support. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 6 of 11 (1,495 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@ivrognard

on the sports title you are wrong. I activated FIFA 09 and it worked through Origin. (it has a breaking bug) but it still worked through Origin
Message 7 of 11 (1,462 Views)

EA DICE Team

If the community can drive such a list we can find a spot for it on our forums. We don't have such a list internally though (I would imagine it's going to be quite a big list.. Large smile)

Message 8 of 11 (1,411 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Thanks a lot.

As I mentioned I activated FIFA 09, it works but it has a major bug (tried it on 2080ti and 1080ti but on rx480 the bug does not exist) both where tried on Windows 10

NBA Live 98 (code did not worked)

FIFA 11 (code worked)

FIFA 13 (code worked)

We can start with this list then others or myself can add to this list

Message 9 of 11 (1,320 Views)

★★ Guide

@DeBosquez@Straatford87@ivrognard@EA_Darko

I also have some older games that "supposely" wouldnt work on Origin, but I got a few to work, these are:

BF 1942 (redeemed the code by myself as in 2012 it was free for a while thanks to its 10th anniversary)

BF 2 and BF 2142 (with help of an advisor)

MoH AA (with help of an advisor)

MoH Airborne (help from an advisor)

MoH PA (got it for free a while ago)

With some others games, I wasnt so lucky, these being:

NFS Underground 1&2

NFS Most Wanted (2005 version)

NFS Carbon (even though it seems a while ago it was on origin)

NFS Porsche 2000 (I doubt it will have a digital copy due to its age but it would be cool to see one happen)

Both DLCs for BF 1942, them being Road to Rome and Secret weapons of WWII (I did contact EA advisors about it and they told that they were included on the base game but nope - they couldnt work on Road to Rome code becasue it is all numeric, but on Secret Wapons of WWII, they said it was found in the system but couldnt redeem it)

BF Vietnam (I got the one that comes with the WWII mod)

I also have the sims 1, which I found in a tag sale a while ago, didnt come with any booklet but i got most of the CDs, it is the complete edition so all DLCs came, I dont know if it possible to redem them as I dont have the code, but it is worth trying

Thanks for reading this and my apologies for this being so long

L

Message 10 of 11 (1,272 Views)