Re: Oh, I'm afraid Squadrons will be quite operational when October arrives.

by EA_Joz

Original Post

Oh, I'm afraid Squadrons will be quite operational when October arrives.

This Starfighter Assault DLC / BFII story expansion has a number of positives going for it, which has me more interested and excited for the game:

1. Won't be the cost of a full-priced game.

2. Pointless to pre-order as its content is meh, which is good. I guarantee you'll get better content in a day of playing multiplayer. Up to you though.

3. No microtransactions at all; all ship upgrades and ship/character/outfit cosmetics are only earned purely in-game.

4. Visually looks and sounds as exquisite as BFII.

5. No precious Cloan Warz. Bahahahaha.

6. No live service / no post launch DLCs. You get what you pay for (a complete game at launch) instead of being dragged into a live service and drip-fed content over a long period of time.

7. No heroes. No sad humans racing to be a hero. No skilless saber sweats hiding behind laser swords, spamming hero abilities and riding the hero handicap. Most of these players that are planning on getting the game will struggle, popular YouTubers included. You're gonna find out who actually has skill now.

8. Even playing field. 1st person starfighters v 1st starfighters. 5v5. Simple. Working as intended. Gonna require actual skill.

9. A huge variety of upgrades available for your starfighters (around 50). Will keep things interesting, and won't be tiered upgrades like BFII statcards.

10. 1 era only. Which means the right era is completely focused on. Which means no Clo@n Werz. Which is good.

11. Actual drifting. There'll be more to flying instead of just flying around in a circle when chasing someone / being chased. #TheSithAndTheFuriousCoruscantDrift

12. 3 modes. Story (play on both sides, takes place after the battle of Endor to set the the scene of the game, confirmed not to be big as the main focus was multiplayer).

Dogfight (5v5 online team deathmatch, no bots).

Fleet Battles (3 stage large mode online 5v5 with bots, and offline against bots - hope we can also progress purely against bots).

If we got a couple of more modes added cool but not really fussed. The problem with having a large playercount mode is that that's all most people would end up playing, killing the 5v5 modes.

13. 4 ships (Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber, Support) per side (Empire and New Republic). If we get an additional bonus ship per side (B-Wing, Tie Defender) that'd be cool but not fussed. You'll also be able to prioritise which side you want to play as when matchmaking.

14. 6 maps. Good enough number for only starfighter play. All visually unique. If we're surprised with a few more maps then nice but not fussed; if the game is polished and the replayablily is there then that's all that matters.

15. A moment of silence for those trying to boycott the game because there's never gonna be any Cl0ahn W@hrz. Lol.

16. I actually like all eras, Clone Wars included, just find it funny when precious CW fanbois have a cry.

17. Simply been ages since a proper SW starfighter game. Almost 20 years. Also only a few months away until launch, not long to wait.

18. Cross-play across PlayStation, XBox and PC. Just hope there'll be measures in place for pathetic PC hacks. You'll also be able to use joysticks, and completely customise control settings for your desired play style.

19. The whole game can be completely experienced in VR. Basically an expansion to BF2015s VR mission as well.

20. See points 5, 10 and 15.

21. I am the Senate.

Hope this info helps. I'm sure there's some things I've missed, and I'm sure there's still things yet to be announced for the game. They might even do a Fallen Order and release an update with a bit of content several months after launch, but the game will essentially be a full game when released.

Will want to play on both sides and fly all of the ships, but gonna main Empire (fav) and Starfighters/Interceptors (my preferred play style).

Who will you fight for, and using what ships? DEWIT

Message 1 of 17 (1,242 Views)

[ Edited ]

I see what you did there.

The title was already excellent, before I got to the interesting post. Standard smile

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 17 (1,221 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Pretty excited for this game. Have been wanting it for a very long time. Going to be awesome in VR.

My only concern is the modes. I think A LOT of people were hoping for larger scale battles (myself included). 5v5 doesn't make sense...

Ok fleet battles 5v5 is cool for strategy and might hold the attention of some hard core fans but imagine full scale star wars space battles!!! I don't care if half of them are bots!

Huge opportunity missed if it doesn't come. EVERYONE that loves Star Wars would be playing this game if full scale was a thing. It wouldn't last forever (nothing does) but that's when the remaining fans would convert to 5v5 fleet battles.

I am holding out hopes that they pull a Warzone. I would be ecstatic if if a F2P version came out later with large scale battles.

Message 3 of 17 (1,178 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Point 13, I see we have similar goals. I'm thinking if they added the B-Wing and TIE Defender, it could be a Heavy Fighter class or Gunship Class. A heavy hitter, but slow, like a bomber but more focused on anti-starfighter than anti-capital ship. As Interceptors are generally setup for speed and manouverability, to act as an advanced scout. the Bomber is designed to attack enemy installations and capital ships. The Fighter is sent in to protect Bombers from enemy Starfighters. The Heavy Fighter / Gunship Class can be designed to defend friendly capital ships.

Message 4 of 17 (1,145 Views)

@SofaJockeyUK An elegant title, in a more civilised forum.
Message 5 of 17 (1,116 Views)

I think you win the internet today. 

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 17 (1,077 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
yeah ngl i would like swbf2 10 times more if it was troopers (and reinforcements balanced to be the same as troopers) only with no hero or tank bs

as for the era i wouldve liked it a bit more if all 3 era ships were there as cosmetic in MP with identical stats because that just means more ships to fly

also im really hoping for one massive scale gamemode just for pure chaos, 5v5 will probably still be the main thing which is good but it would be nice to have one really big mode

also heroes in literally every battlefront game can f off
Message 7 of 17 (1,046 Views)

★★ Pro

I think this game is the Evolution of DOS X-wing flight sim. The customisation of Ships to suit your play style and Team Tactics is good and should be Fun. But please do not have Unreasonable or Too High expectations of the game, for all we know PVP might have no one left after 3 Months or more after the Game is released. 

Honestly, we want this game to succeed in Esports in the future if it is well developed, but some Multiplayer games just die out after a while, so will this happen to SW Squadrons is a good question and we should have some preparation. It is up to the Community to try and keep this game alive after its first month of release, and maybe make it last for 2 to 3 years or even more depending if Expansions DLC is announced.

Honestly, there are going to be Haters for every game, but are there enough Hardcore fans giving Support for This Game, only time will tell.

Message 8 of 17 (1,025 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I agree with everything you said. It would have been easier to keep this game going if there were larger battles with bots to pad out player count. Big battles with bots would not only cause chaos but also make you feel like a Star Wars hero.

They must have thought about it before making the game. There are 4 explanations that I can think of:

1- They think the game has enough content to last (unlikely)

2- The game was a passion project and know the game wont last wrong (but why choose 5v5? Everyone wants large space battles more than any other game mode. Budget? Servers?)

3- Point 1 or 2 plus they will use what they learn and insert it into the next battlefront game (this would be great if implemented correctly)

4- Point 1 or 2 plus they will bring out a F2P version later on with large scale battles kinda like Warzone for COD (I personally hope this is the case but it's also unlikely)

Thoughts?

Message 9 of 17 (999 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@UNL1M1T3D_P0W3R Point #19 is one of my favorites! 

-EA_Joz

Joz.png
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey! If a post Answered your question, please click on Accept as Solution.
Thank players and help them 'Level Up' by giving them XP.
Want to learn more on how to level-up and become a Hero for the AHQ? Learn more about it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage#ranks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 10 of 17 (971 Views)