Re: Octane too good compared to the rest

by HenxFTW

Original Post

Octane too good compared to the rest

★★★★★ Apprentice

When you look at octanes kit and how well it works together and then look at the rest of the cast of characters it's sad, he's too good. Now I should be clear I don't think octane needs a nerf he hasnt been out long enough for that but, what I do think is that when you look at him and then the rest of characters it just doesn't look good. For example mirage another buyable character is border lining trash he has his tactical ability and that is it, his ultimate is a suicide ability since you cant shoot and people can still see you clear as day, his passive requires that you die making it just bad design. Then lets look at octane, he has a passive that allows him to heal out of combat even if it is slow it compliments his tactical which speeds you up in exchange for health that you can get back through his passive, and finally he has an ult that goes along with his fast movement play style and launches him in a direction.

Other examples I we give look at caustic his ult is just his tactical except is goes off when thrown and has more range, but if you just throw and shoot some of your gas traps you can kinda achieve the same effect. 

There are characters that aren't completely bad but could easily be improved like path finder who has a passive that is rarely used or cared for due to the fact that getting caught in the ring doesnt matter till like the last circle. Other examples of halfway there characters are like bangalor who has an ult that people very often escape from and because she takes damage from it and her teammates get slowed no one benefits you basically use it when you just want a shot cease fire. Blood hound tactical gives locations away while also broadcasting where you are, this one is partially them balancing him but it could just make a sound instead of a bright pulse showing exactly where it came from. Wraith who has a tactical that makes it so she has no clue where people are gonna be when she gets out also anyone can see where she is escaping to but I will say her hitbox makes up for this one.

All im saying is the game needs some rapid change to some abilities cause when we see that they can release things like octane that look well thought out it just makes the rest look bad.

Message 1 of 20 (1,177 Views)

★ Apprentice

i strongly disagree, he has little to no team utility his Q is very strong but costs health so it requires gamsense as when to use it, his ults similar to a pathfinder ult but worse in most ways

Message 2 of 20 (1,145 Views)

★★ Guide

i would say his ult is close to useless except from few enviroments where you can gain highground.

but there aint that many places you need octane specific to do so,

so to OP? not what i can see yet. 

or maybe i just use him wrong, yet to see someone taking an unfair advantage with the jumppad.

and yes he can be dodgy with the "Q" but with a good spray n pray weapon it wont matter.

Message 3 of 20 (1,125 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Bangalore's passive is usually more useful in fights than Octane's ability - it doesn't have casting time so is activated mid-fight (of course the downside is that you can't choose when to activate it and you have to be already shot at), while octane's has to be used in advance, using it when you're already shooting is not an option. The health cost is just an added downside.

Similarly, jumppad is a pretty mellow out-of-combat ability too (jumping in to the air mid-fight is a suicide, since it's slow and the trajectory is easy to track).

The passive healing is also very small and doesn't even compensate for tactical ability use. Syringes are abundant and heal faster than that. A syringe with lifeline's passive is a better option.

Octane is fun and not too bad, and his kit is universal, but definitely not too good. He's like a mix of bangalore and pathfinder - can do more by himself overall, but worse than either of those.

Personally, I would say bangalore's smoke grenade alone is more useful than the whole Octane's kit.

Message 4 of 20 (1,060 Views)

★★★ Guide

Actually Octane is realy well balanced.... Not too strong but not weak too.

Message 5 of 20 (1,047 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Why blame Octane, when Buffs for e.g. Mirage is what you want?

I even agree with Mirage's only useful ability being his tactical. The passive is useless, no experienced player falls for that and his ulti is indeed counter productive.

Message 6 of 20 (1,034 Views)

★ Guide

totally disagree

octane is a top4 character... maybe top 3 in some situations

Message 7 of 20 (1,033 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I made a point to say that he's not op and doesnt need a nerf I just think when you look at him and look at the rest it shows how much they are lacking.

Message 8 of 20 (1,012 Views)

★ Guide

@S_Dustt wrote:

I made a point to say that he's not op and doesnt need a nerf I just think when you look at him and look at the rest it shows how much they are lacking.

wraith, lifeline, bangalore are still better than him.

perhaps bloodhound is better in some situations.

what exactly you think they are lacking?

he is just another ok character, rather than a total trash like gibaltrar, caustic, mirage and pathfinder.

Message 9 of 20 (967 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

there is nothing wrong with octane . his passive isn't even that good late game or mid game. only good 1st few min because he can heal outside of fight. his ult isn't game breaking . his Q is only good thing about him . wraith has a better Q and no one saying to nerff her.  you could say banglore is op once you shooting at him he pick up same speed hack .
his ult is really hard to use effectively . he is a high risk high reward . if they nerff him somehow it will be a game killer for me . if I see they nerff stuff in the game instead of buff stuff I wouldn't want to touch this game.

Message 10 of 20 (963 Views)