Re: Octane tips and tricks

by JjumpingJjack

Original Post

★ Guide

@MandatoryIDtag I would say that's the main points. I would add only that octane super effective in close range which means you need to carry two good close range guns or at least one. Best would be carbine +smg or a shotgun. Quick squad wipes always leads you to victory since you have a lot of space to fight other squads who's might be third partying you. 

And always try avoid getting damaged towards health. Healing health always takes longer time and for octane it's even worse because you need health for your ability (stim).

Message 11 of 12 (200 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Hello @kakaci13, @MandatoryIDtag , @PROInD3

Octane main here with about 2.5k kills from season 2 on, here are some advices from my side, maybe some of them will help you:

- use stim immediatly after dropping in your LZ to have advantages getting loot faster then your enemies. I like to land near some supply bins as you can loot 3 of them very quickly. Or land in/on good looted buildings

- don't restrict yourself to use close range weapons only. Even though my favorite combo is PK/Spitfire you can useu any weapon you want, depending on your playstyle

- use stim to flank squads. Let your mates put some attention on them and attack your enemies from the side or even from behind. Especially whily shooting, the stim is not always good to hear for your enemies. Even better, position yourself already near a team you want to flank, then let your mates shoot on them so they will automaticly focus on your mates. Perfect oppotunity to strike back from another angle.

- positioning and movement is a key to win, not only for Octane. You can stay on long range also. But you should not restrict on a certain strategy. You need to adapt on every game situation qucikly. Use his speed to change positions fast when you can.

- I believe Octane's steps are very loud, compared to others accept pathfinder (if you can hear him at all). Crouch move when you think enemies are nearby.

- use stim to escape from enemies. But don't run in straight lines, changes directions, use bunnyhop or even use jumppad

- use the jumppad correctly: You can jump about 30% higher/longer, when you hit the jump button perfectly timed.

- most Octane mains would disagree to use the jumppad as escape and they have a point, as the jumpcurve is very predictable. But sometimes it is your only chance to escape, so try to jump behind buildings or trees and heel quickly when someone is chasing you.

- I believe that you can not jump further with the jumppad, if stim is used before.

- this is for all legends: use slidejumps. A lot. Even without stim, use it, you will move much faster. And with stim used... I think I don't have to explain further...

- also for all legends: run without a gun equipped, get used to it. It really makes a difference, and with stim... you know what I mean...

- very important: use meds as often as you can while using jumppad if needed. You should use the airtime to heel up. You jump, immetialy use a shield cell / battery / syringe (you can also start to use it already before the actual jump) and watch behind if someone is chasing you. If someone is behind, you can wait on ground after landing and shoot him immediatly wfully charged, while he is still in the air.

- use the jumppad to suprise attack enemies. Try to jump as far as possible, so they will eventually not hear your jumppad launch and you can hit them with some nice first shots from mid-air.

- bunnyhoping / bunnyhop-healing is very effective after using stim, so do it as much as you can

- when running with your team to the next zone or whatever, throw you jumppad, so that your mates can also use it. I mostly like to run close behind them and then throw it above them as far as you can so they can also use it

- use the jumppad, to block doors etc.

- use your jumppad to evacuate downed mates. you can throw it on them or next to them and then follow them to heal up at safer spot

- use the jumppad to throw it on enemies and irritate them. This of course needs some skill, but even more luck, to make it work. Would not recomment to try very often, but it can be funny if it works

- use jumppad to have access to spots, only Pathfinders or Reventants can reach. Highground is very important, espcially in the endgame. I won so many games only be having a good position on the last 2 teams. Perfect example are the yellow silos at Lookout. Great spot for a final circle

- throw a jumpad on your existing jumppad and follow immediatly. you will be able to take two jumps in a row

- use your jumppad to launch throwables, but this is more some kind of fun move

- jumppad can also be used to avoid caustics barrels or ultimate ability. Of course, you will also need some luck, as he must throw it exactly on your jumppad. Happens only by accident, but still, fun to watch

- you can destroy jumppads

- you can use/throw up to 4 jumppads, when you throw a fifth, the first one will disappear. you can test this on the shooting range

- while standing still and looking at your feet straight down you can throw a jumppad and you will jump up and down only vertically, never leaving the jumpad. You can watch around and in all directions, you will not stop to jump up and down until you press any of the movement buttons

- To jump only vertically on an existing jumppad, go next to it and melee it. Same effect, fun way to spot enemy teams, but your jump is of course very predictable.

- Kill people / Win games and use the voiceline: "I could do this all day!"

Message 12 of 12 (186 Views)