Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

by Penitent
Reply

Original Post

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★★★★★ Apprentice

When you read a post written by a self-described "long time gamer", expect to get exactly what you see here. Telling people who "disagree" that they are just wrong, ridiculing those with different views, telling them they are not "allowed" to post "fallacious" facts, showering us with his mythical accomplishments and leaderboard stats as if anyone asked for his bona fides, and generally acting all smarmy and trying to sound sophisticated. About gaming.

 

The TLDR; here is simple: RNG is not content. And he's right, even if he could have said it more persuasively and less offensively in about 1/10 as many characters.

 

 

Message 21 of 57 (159 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★★★★★ Novice

@MajMattMason wrote:
And just some advice - if you're actually trying to make a convincing argument, implying someone is a liar is not the way to do it. Do it again and you'll be reported.

/Yawn. Is that supposed to frighten me or something? It's simple deduction, you see. You said creating a loot plan "currently require(s) a 3rd party site listing loot tables so you know what's available and where." That's 100% false. Every single boss drop for both dungeons and raids of current and all past expansions can be found in the dungeon journal. So either you don't know what you're talking about or you're lying. Those are the only two options. So knock yourself out. The onus is upon you to say what you mean, not for me to accommodate or coddle you in your error.

Furthermore, if all you got from my post was the notion I think WoW's RNG is better than Anthem's (which it is, drastically), then you frankly haven't the reading comprehension to participate in a dialogue on this topic, to any meaningful degree. 
Message 22 of 57 (144 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@IntlGJournal wrote:

When you read a post written by a self-described "long time gamer", expect to get exactly what you see here. Telling people who "disagree" that they are just wrong, ridiculing those with different views, telling them they are not "allowed" to post "fallacious" facts, showering us with his mythical accomplishments and leaderboard stats as if anyone asked for his bona fides, and generally acting all smarmy and trying to sound sophisticated. About gaming.

 

The TLDR; here is simple: RNG is not content. And he's right, even if he could have said it more persuasively and less offensively in about 1/10 as many characters.

 

 


It's funny how people incapable of dialectics consistently resort to accusing the other party of pretension. Accusing someone of hubris is not a rebuttal to anything. Accusing someone of being mean is not a rebuttal to anything. Do you understand that? It doesn't disprove anything nor detract from the veracity of anything I say. Furthermore, I didn't just arbitrarily decree the opposition was wrong, I provided empirical evidence to that effect. And brevity wasn't my objective. Why would it need to be? Because you say so? If you don't like what I have to say, or how I say it, then don't read it. This is how I speak. I have no obligation to accommodate your diminutive vernacular, nor do I feel compelled to vitiate my own for the sake of preserving your fragile psyche. I'm not here to hold your hand or provide emotional support for you. Grow up. If I think you're wrong about something, I'm going to tell you.

Message 23 of 57 (142 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★ Guide
speaking of comprehension...didnt the bioware devs already respond to the whole loot thing and said "we are looking into it"? they will figure something out, no need to spam now
Message 24 of 57 (139 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Penitent wrote:

@IntlGJournal wrote:

When you read a post written by a self-described "long time gamer", expect to get exactly what you see here. Telling people who "disagree" that they are just wrong, ridiculing those with different views, telling them they are not "allowed" to post "fallacious" facts, showering us with his mythical accomplishments and leaderboard stats as if anyone asked for his bona fides, and generally acting all smarmy and trying to sound sophisticated. About gaming.

 

The TLDR; here is simple: RNG is not content. And he's right, even if he could have said it more persuasively and less offensively in about 1/10 as many characters.

 

 


It's funny how people incapable of dialectics consistently resort to accusing the other party of pretension. Accusing someone of hubris is not a rebuttal to anything. Accusing someone of being mean is not a rebuttal to anything. Do you understand that? It doesn't disprove anything nor detract from the veracity of anything I say. Furthermore, I didn't just arbitrarily decree the opposition was wrong, I provided empirical evidence to that effect. And brevity wasn't my objective. Why would it need to be? Because you say so? If you don't like what I have to say, or how I say it, then don't read it. This is how I speak. I have no obligation to accommodate your diminutive vernacular, nor do I feel compelled to vitiate my own for the sake of preserving your fragile psyche. I'm not here to hold your hand or provide emotional support for you. Grow up. If I think you're wrong about something, I'm going to tell you.


I love it when kids try to act grown up, I could listen to this for hours lol. In my incapacity for dialectics and my diminuitive vernacular, I nevertheless managed to inch him ever so slowly toward brevity. 

Message 25 of 57 (120 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@IntlGJournal wrote:
I love it when kids try to act grown up, I could listen to this for hours lol. In my incapacity for dialectics and my diminuitive vernacular, I nevertheless managed to inch him ever so slowly toward brevity.  

I love it when people who ostensibly oppose ad hominem, refer to people as "kid" and imply they're mean, in spectacles of abject hypocrisy, in efforts to discredit their opinion, and to deflect from the fact they're unable to counter an assertion. I also like how you seem to think your dictating the length of my posts. The odds are I'm quite a bit older than you. (Again, gaming as long as there has been gaming; reading comprehension is key.) At least, given the substantive dearth of your responses, I would certainly hope I am. This age, or at least maturity disparity, is further evinced by the manner in which you find words you don't know intimidating and try to manipulate people into not using them. These are common responses from people, on any topic, incapable of articulating themselves well. They complain about the length of your contribution, your diction, and try to guilt trip you into accommodating their linguistic inadequacy by accusing you of hubris or being angry.

You're not clever. Quite the opposite. Your responses may constitute repartee in your own mind, but I recognize them for what they are; i.e., the defense mechanisms of a diffident person with a sub par prosaic proficiency. Likewise, there is little more indicative of immaturity than being unable to handle criticism or disagreement. It's common for children to throw tantrums when they're told their wrong, and/or to accuse their parents of being "mean" when opposed, for example.

 

I cannot be manipulated into not expressing my opinion, in the manner I prefer to express it, and tacitly accepting error. Do you understand that? Telling people they're wrong, when they're wrong (e.g., claiming that loot tables are only available through a "3rd party site"), isn't mean. It's correction. Clearly some of you have been taught your whole life that "all opinions are valid/equal," and should be respected equally. No, they're not, and no they shouldn't.

 

The fact is this is a shooter game in which guns are trash unless they randomly roll +200-375% damage on them. A shooter in which shooting things is nigh pointless on anything more than moderate difficulty unless they have +200-375% damage on them. A shooter in which there's no reliable way to get a good gun because doing so is completely random. Anyone who can't see the problem with that is, frankly, cognitively impaired. This is just another video game experience being ruined by people with undiagnosed gambling addictions. 

 

So either produce something even remotely resembling a cogent counter argument or stop wasting my time. Because accusing me of being wrong, is tantamount to accusing Joshua Mosqueira of being wrong, and a de facto assertion that the circumstances and events surrounding Diablo 3's launch he describes never happened.

Since some of you can't seem to grasp that, allow me to assist you by posting it yet again.

 

Message 26 of 57 (98 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@sbrydion wrote:
Woof. Came to read some observation, was treated to a treatise. You make some very strong assertions and use a lot of long words, however.. we're not but humble gamers.

RNG works, is proven to work and will continue to be in systems. Pure RNG with sub-RNG within it, with more RNG within that, assuming you got the smallest of RNGs in the first place (Legendary drop->The legendary you get -> the inscriptions it has -> the % you get on those inscriptions) does make it near impossible to create a coordinated build or to progress on one.

(Insert random ill-worded comment about BDO RNG here).

With a ridiculous amount of time spent playing Anthem so far I am still having fun and enjoying my time spent playing, but I don't know if I would call 90% of my legendary drops progression or furthering my goals on the build I want to play. Very much looking forward to seeing how loot changes affect the choices I make in-game.


The randomization in this game is out of control. 

 

• Item acquisition.

 

• Which stats.

 

• Stat amount.

 

Items can drop from pretty much anywhere as far as I can tell; precluding any ability for item targeting and therefore planned progression. Perks on guns are randomly assigned, and can be beneficial, or completely useless. And in yet another layer of randomization, the benefit (amount) you get from those stats ranges the gamut from absolute and utter trash, to obscenely powerful by comparison. (I'm consistently getting guns with +1% damage. Yes, 1%. One percent.) It is, just as you suggest, RNG upon RNG upon RNG. And the problem with this should be apparent. When the effective power of the items you need to progress is completely random, progression itself is by default likewise rendered random. You either get the items you need to progress or you don't. Your personal ability plays little if any role in such.  

 

It's awful. They got a lot about this game right, but this aspect of it is 100% unadulterated garbage. One of the most atrocious examples of hyper-randomization I've ever seen. And you have people here, like, "It's okay because I like to spend all my time collecting herbs instead of shooting stuff."

Message 27 of 57 (86 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★★ Guide

@IntlGJournal wrote:

@Penitent wrote:

@IntlGJournal wrote:

When you read a post written by a self-described "long time gamer", expect to get exactly what you see here. Telling people who "disagree" that they are just wrong, ridiculing those with different views, telling them they are not "allowed" to post "fallacious" facts, showering us with his mythical accomplishments and leaderboard stats as if anyone asked for his bona fides, and generally acting all smarmy and trying to sound sophisticated. About gaming.

 

The TLDR; here is simple: RNG is not content. And he's right, even if he could have said it more persuasively and less offensively in about 1/10 as many characters.

 

 


It's funny how people incapable of dialectics consistently resort to accusing the other party of pretension. Accusing someone of hubris is not a rebuttal to anything. Accusing someone of being mean is not a rebuttal to anything. Do you understand that? It doesn't disprove anything nor detract from the veracity of anything I say. Furthermore, I didn't just arbitrarily decree the opposition was wrong, I provided empirical evidence to that effect. And brevity wasn't my objective. Why would it need to be? Because you say so? If you don't like what I have to say, or how I say it, then don't read it. This is how I speak. I have no obligation to accommodate your diminutive vernacular, nor do I feel compelled to vitiate my own for the sake of preserving your fragile psyche. I'm not here to hold your hand or provide emotional support for you. Grow up. If I think you're wrong about something, I'm going to tell you.


I love it when kids try to act grown up, I could listen to this for hours lol. In my incapacity for dialectics and my diminuitive vernacular, I nevertheless managed to inch him ever so slowly toward brevity. 


Well, that just made the thread interesting. XD

Message 28 of 57 (83 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★★★★ Novice

@Penitent wrote:

 

Unlike Anthem, someone who's been playing WoW for 50 hours and doing content of moderate difficulty, would never be rewarded with more powerful items than someone who'd been playing for 500 hours and doing significantly harder content.


If you've been playing WoW since Vanilla, you'll know that this is false. Now, there are people getting uber loot with minimal time investment. Especially compared to what was dropped in 40 man MC. 

Message 29 of 57 (75 Views)

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★ Apprentice

@snippytheminer wrote:
I don't know if I agree with all of this, but I definitely agree that at the very least the loot drop algorithms need to be improved a fair bit.

Personally I don't mind the presence of RNG so long as an acceptable percentage of drops have acceptable and fair properties commensurate to the difficulty of acquiring them.

But I DO mind when the RNG wastes loads of my time on trash I won't ever equip.

I'd like the loot system to be aware of and incorporate my playstyle into what it drops. At the very least learn player preferences and modify drop rates of different item and weapon types accordingly.

If you want to know what I mean, let me describe my loadout and what my drops most regularly are:
MW Ranger
Components are all fine, one of them is Legendary (albeit its effect is kinda pathetic, allows me to hover longer or something, and the actual effects are pointless).
Thunderbolt of Yvenia, rolled with %175 damage which prior to this patch was almost a requirement for any weapon on Grandmaster if it were to be useful.
Divine Vengeance or whatever it's called, recently got this, works fine.
Last Word grenade, similarly amazing.
MW venom darts rolled with an extra charge (which amusingly manifests as TWO extra charges)
And a Bulwark Point
So that's what I have equipped. One legendary component and everything else but Support is MW.

Now here's what typically drops from the MW or Legendary pickups:
Argo's Mace is by far the most prevalent and least useful.
General's Favour component drops very often as well (I do actually use this though)
The MW frost grenade.
The MW seeker grenade.
And I have gotten the SAME legendary heavy pistol twice now, of my total 3 legendary drops. This pistol doesn't at all fit my play style of combo-ing and firing iteratively in bursts. It can't break down an enemy shield without exhausting 2 clips of ammo at least, and even with the legendary/mw effect on it (does 75% more damage after dodging for 10 seconds iirc) it just isn't competitive with Thunderbolt of Yvenia or Divine Vengeance.

And to put in perspective the sheer sadness of those drops, I've easily had Argo's Mace drop 15+ times, everything else listed save for the legendary would be around 6-12 times. Meanwhile I'm still missing a MW assault rifle and a MW marksman rifle, preventing me from completing the mastery challenges for both weapon types.

You know there are four javelins to play; you can use the other legendary gear you picked up on the other Javelins. For instance I got a shotgun when running on my ranger. It has no use on my ranger but it is awesome for my interceptor. I ended up with the legendary frag grenade when I was on my storm, awesome grenade for my Ranger. 

 

All of my three javelins are 660+ as all have 1-2 legendary pieces with all the rest being MW but the support. 

Message 30 of 57 (71 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help