Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

by Penitent

Original Post

Re: Observations of a long time gamer on Anthem.

★★★★★ Novice
Really good post OP, thoughtful and insightful. I enjoyed reading it.
Message 11 of 57 (222 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Silienea wrote:

My own personal feeling is that the loot is currently about right.

Well, that was funny. But hey, you're perfectly entitled to have an opinion completely separated from reality. You're not entitled to make outright fallacious claims like only "one piece of loot" dropped during entire 40 man raids however. I was there. I did 40 man raids. I know. Secondly, 40 man raids don't even exist in WoW anymore and haven't in years. You're alluding to Vanilla WoW, when I am clearly referring to WoW much later than that, as evinced by my mentioning loot coins (which didn't exist in Vanilla WoW).

As usual, the responses are spectacles of self-contradiction. You imply copying WoW is bad, yet you openly profess your fondness for gathering and crafting for a "way of generating gear without killing stuff," which are likewise systems long and well established in WoW. (And which exist in much greater depth in that game.) Thus illustrating your opinion is essentially completely subjective in nature. Basically, "This should be in the game because I like it, but not this other thing because I don't like it." You people always do this. If crafting works in Anthem, just as it does in WoW, then so would a comparable loot system work in Anthem (or any other loot based game for that matter). There's nothing stopping the latter from "working," per se, any more than the former.

I thought it would be obvious, at least to a thinking person, that I was suggesting they emulate the same basic principles of the WoW model. Not to copy every facet of it, literatim, if you will. But apparently I was wrong. I don't recall advocating the abolition of crafting in my post. Likewise m
y post is not an argument that I like everything about WoW or that Blizzard gets everything right. I, and they, don't. That should go without saying. But the system they have is ostentatiously superior to that in Anthem, in which someone gets something like this...

RNG Insanity Small.jpg

For no other reason than that an RNG algorithm decided they should have it.

If you like crafting so be it. I think options should exist for people with varying play styles. But I also can't help but observe the inanity of playing a shooter and wanting to get loot "without killing stuff." That's pretty much exactly how I want to get loot in a shooter/looter. That's why I play them. Power obtained through conquest and/or vanquishing the enemy.

Ultimately people like yourself are as much the problem as any other variable at play, via your demand for incoherent and contradictory design and mechanics, to accommodate your own incoherent and contradictory personal preferences.

Again, as I've long said, and Joshua Mosqueira affirms. RNG is not content.

Message 12 of 57 (217 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Draugan wrote:
really nice, hope they see this and think about it a bit

for that someone needs to crosspost it to reddit

Message 13 of 57 (212 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
you really don't want to know how many of that damned gun a recycled
Message 14 of 57 (190 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Making a gear plan for your character in WoW currently require a 3rd party site listing loot tables so you know what's available and where, Simulcraft to determine BiS and stat weights, talent adjustments based on on Azerite traits acquired, and then you have RNG.

RNG for a drop, RNG for getting the drop you want, and then additional RNG for Warforged and Titanforged and a few other item upgrades like gem sockets, etc. 80% of the loot that drops in current WoW is scrapped for crafting mats or vendored for gold, 15% is a small or side upgrade, 5% may be an actual significant upgrade.

I'd prefer Anthem not take this approach to loot. I do think the difficulty of the encounter should be reflected in the quality of the loot acquired. That's sort of universal expectation for a looter. I also expect loot to be in my inventory once acquired no matter what - that's a pretty universal rule too. If I get disconnected from the game server in the middle of a run I expect any loot I acquired prior to that happening to be in my inventory when I log back in. I expect changes to come soon to how loot is distributed. Right now Anthem has a very basic loot system which is not terrible. But it needs work to add depth and make it interesting and hopefully that will happen soon.
Message 15 of 57 (180 Views)

★ Guide

If the OP was truly a "long time" gamer he would know you can outgrind the rng. Problem in this game is you can't the guy new to 30 has the EXACT same chance as someone 300 hours in to get loot. Even if they add adequate reward to gm 2 and 3 unless you always running 4 deep you have to carry a 590 scrub in gm3(not that there isn't 788 scrubs too). Rng is the nature of the beast would rather random loot then tokens like WoW or ffxiv and damn sure rather it then weekly lockouts like destiny. Rng not the enemy the lack of reward for effort is. Horrible ranges we got on legendary items they could "make it rain" for real and still have a LONG grind in this game to anywhere near max.

Message 16 of 57 (170 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@MajMattMason wrote:
Making a gear plan for your character in WoW currently require a 3rd party site listing loot tables so you know what's available and where, Simulcraft to determine BiS and stat weights, talent adjustments based on on Azerite traits acquired, and then you have RNG.

Your response is not only misleading but fallacious. First of all the loot tables are provided in game through the user interface (dungeon journal). So no, you don't need a 3rd party site to make a loot plan. Secondly, literally none of these things are "required" to excel in WoW whatsoever. I've done mythic raiding. I obtained the rank of Warlord in PVP. I did CM gold on 3 separate toons in MoP. CM gold on 2 separate toons in WoD. I did Mage Tower on 4 different toons on 11 different specs in Legion. Before I quit pushing I was the 6th highest prot warrior on the third largest sever in the game in the Mythic+ rankings.

3K Prot.jpg

And I did all of it without ever using a simulation website; I've never used one in all my nearly 15 years of playing WoW. I also didn't even have BIS items and I wasn't using the "best" build. So no, it's not "required. You either aren't as familiar with the game as your purporting or you're lying.

Furthermore, those third party websites are generally a benefit to the player, as opposed to a handicap or burden. Show me any such support system that assists me in getting the item I want in Anthem. You can't. Because the RNG in Anthem is worse than WoW's, not better. Both the drop itself and the stats on the drop are random in Anthem. Neither is random in WoW. Also, speaking of stats, moving your cursor over stats in WoW actually produces a window that explains what the stat does for your character. (Once again illustrating one of the many basic quality of life improvements that following the WoW model would produce.) It doesn't in Anthem. In other words, Anthem requires a "3rd party site" just to understand the purpose and function of the most basic aspects of the game.

If you want to make the argument WoW has too much RNG, go ahead. I would agree. But the notion the RNG is worse is patently ridiculous. 

Message 17 of 57 (168 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Gaeandilth1 wrote:

Rng not the enemy the lack of reward for effort is.

One of the most absurdly contradictory and incoherent responses I've ever seen, as excessive RNG is a primary reason why there is a "lack of reward for effort" in this game.

You people are nothing more than a myopic contingent that wants Anthem to make the exact same mistakes as Diablo 3 at launch. Unlike Diablo, however, you don't want this game to be saved. 

Message 18 of 57 (164 Views)

★ Apprentice
Woof. Came to read some observation, was treated to a treatise. You make some very strong assertions and use a lot of long words, however.. we're not but humble gamers.

RNG works, is proven to work and will continue to be in systems. Pure RNG with sub-RNG within it, with more RNG within that, assuming you got the smallest of RNGs in the first place (Legendary drop->The legendary you get -> the inscriptions it has -> the % you get on those inscriptions) does make it near impossible to create a coordinated build or to progress on one.

(Insert random ill-worded comment about BDO RNG here).

With a ridiculous amount of time spent playing Anthem so far I am still having fun and enjoying my time spent playing, but I don't know if I would call 90% of my legendary drops progression or furthering my goals on the build I want to play. Very much looking forward to seeing how loot changes affect the choices I make in-game.

Message 19 of 57 (152 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Yes that was the point of my post. WoW has too much RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG. If you've actually accomplished the achievements you've listed you should be well aware of that. So you never min-maxed? Most top players do.

I simply don't want the current WoW loot model in Anthem. That's a large part of why I unsubbed from WoW. Did I say I was happy with the current Anthem model? I said it wasn't terrible. Terrible is constantly getting drops you cannot use in any way. I've been able to use most of the MW drops and one nice legendary I've gotten in this game playing casually. I adjust my play style according to the quality and characteristics of the drops. There will come a time when I will want to focus on particular drops with particular inscriptions. I haven't reached that point yet. I do expect the loot system to be more fully developed soon. I said it was very basic. And that's what it is. Re-rolling inscriptions for a cost might be one thing they could implement here.

Part of the learning curve for me in this game is understanding what all of the different characteristics and inscriptions do. Most of them have been pretty self-explanatory. I haven't felt the need to consult a 3rd party site at all for anything in this game. Which is great.

And just some advice - if you're actually trying to make a convincing argument, implying someone is a liar is not the way to do it. Do it again and you'll be reported.
Message 20 of 57 (134 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help