Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: OKAY CASEY WE SEE YOU (Clean version)

by Noa12390

Original Post

OKAY CASEY WE SEE YOU (Clean version)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/03/19/anthem-post-launch-update/

Thank you Mr. Casey for your passionate response,

We the players that continue to play this game hear your un-relinquished passion and are equally excited to be acquainted with the future of the game. We know you guys are hard at work. We cant emphasize enough that we appreciate you as the Devs.

Thanks,

(but to those who saw my original message, if you know you know.)

Message 1 of 11 (276 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

The problem is, they don't play their own creation the ammounts that the actual players do. Then again if they did then they wouldn't have time to develop it. First play some 100hours and then tell me you like what you're doing.

But still, someone must've gotten to the point during their QA-process where they were just grinding the same 3 Strongholds, 6 Contracts and the same Freeplay events over and over and over. if they didn't, what the hell? They should play their own game the same ammounts that the players play it, I mean, there are people with over 300hours in this, me with 94h and that's ALOT of doing the same stuff over and over again. Story was done in 20 hours or so and I did explore and did contracts and whatnot side missions while at it.

Or did they just test the Strongholds, Freeplay and Contracts a few times and said "yeah it works fine move on". Except that none of it even worked fine, still really doesn't. Quickplay is still *, Crystal Walls in Strongholds prevent you from progressing, Freeplay events sometimes spawn the objectives and sometimes don't, Contracts seem to work but they cause fps-like hell for me.

Would imagine that if they expect the players to play the same recycled content for hundreds of hours, they do it too. Or atleast did in the QA-process.

Or did they expect for us to play the 20 hours the story takes, play strongholds and freeplay for a while and the move on content that we got our 60euros worth and they can mothball the thing and move to work on Mass Effect: Large Magellanic Cloud or Mass Effect: James Vega N7 Special Forces Experience. Sure feels like it.

Naturally, I can't substantiate any of this about "playing their own game etc" but it sure feels so based on personal experience. I've played alot of stuff since -98 when I discovered Action Quake 2 and have witnessed everything that's happened to gaming ever since.

All in all, I remain hopeful and disgruntled at the same time.

Message 2 of 11 (236 Views)

★★★★ Novice

But still, someone must've gotten to the point during their QA-process where they were just grinding the same 3 Strongholds, 6 Contracts and the same Freeplay events over and over and over. if they didn't, what the hell? 

- I believe they may have had all their content available int he QA process. The release of content is staggered.

Here are people with over 300hours in this, me with 94h and that's ALOT of doing the same stuff over and over again.

- yeah, but once you have completed enough content, why not stop playing? I submit to you it is because your playing for a reason. To get stronger right? I mean I have not experienced any game without this mechanic. Even D&D and Warframe. At some point your playing the same missions over and over....So Im just not sure what the example is of this not being the case...BUT I agree it should have been released with more different things to do to hold over.

Except that none of it even worked fine, still really doesn't. 

- Yeah, and again I was disappointed as well, but I think they explained that it was kind of impossible to see the instability without having experience of testing their servers with the millions of people playing at the same time. So maybe they didn't experience the same issues during testing. I think thats fair being that they are new at this. But again, we paid money for the game at the same level as developers that have the experience in this genre. So I understand the frustration. I have posted several times (two) on Quickplay not working. NBA 2k pro am didnt work when it launched either. So I know Bioware isnt alone in this. I  imagine it is difficult, but ya know we still pay full price, so I think thats the part that hurts.

Would imagine that if they expect the players to play the same recycled content for hundreds of hours, they do it too. Or atleast did in the QA-process.

Or did they expect for us to play the 20 hours the story takes, play strongholds and freeplay for a while and the move on content that we got our 60euros worth and they can mothball the thing and move to work on Mass Effect: Large Magellanic Cloud or Mass Effect: James Vega N7 Special Forces Experience. Sure feels like it.

Naturally, I can't substantiate any of this about "playing their own game etc" but it sure feels so based on personal experience. I've played alot of stuff since -98 when I discovered Action Quake 2 and have witnessed everything that's happened to gaming ever since.

-Yeah. I mean I feel you. 

Message 3 of 11 (207 Views)

★★★★ Guide

In robotics, there's what I call the "calibration fallacy": the idea that you can be sloppy virtually anywhere, and make up for it with "calibration".  Spoiler: It doesn't really work.

You see the same logic playing out in Anthem.  There was little if any tuning of grind, rewards, etc. prior to release.  They threw some stuff together and pretty much said "we'll use collected data to balance it later".  That might work if you were relatively close to begin with, and if you had more options for things to adjust, but Anthem really isn't even close.

You can trivially verify this just by noting that every other post refers to "in-game telemetry".  They're straight up telling you that this is what they're doing.

Message 4 of 11 (152 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

The other worrying things are:

1) It's massively harder to fix systems in a live game. You can't just delete everyone's loot and create a new system. This means what would take less effort pre-launch, takes much more post-launch. The biggest attempt to do this, SWG's NGE, was a complete disaster. You need a good, scalable long-term system at launch, not just a pretty world. Very little confidence Anthem has this.

2) Few people seemed to have picked up on the fact we're now talking about the 'live team'. We've gone from 'BioWare' making it and maintaining it, to a 'live team' that in all likelihood is about 12 people. Really given the state of the game at launch, the model of it being largely done and having a small team working on content updates isn't viable if it's still going to have a significant active playerbase in 6 months.

That said, I don't blame BioWare for having a small post-launch team and working on the next title. Really this is the best hope for gamers praying BioWare will return to form, particularly given 1). Alas, it does mean we have to largely write off Anthem as a long-term prospect, but I'd rather have a mind-blowing Dragon Age in a few years, than a sunk-cost in Anthem.

Message 5 of 11 (144 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@DonCat3000Also I realize that I made a post about nearly the same thing that this is, only about the video concerning the blog :d sorry.

I just find myself analyzing stuff related to the game now more so than actually playing it anymore...

Message 6 of 11 (131 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@SalarianLawrence wrote:

@DonCat3000Also I realize that I made a post about nearly the same thing that this is, only about the video concerning the blog :d sorry.

I just find myself analyzing stuff related to the game now more so than actually playing it anymore...

You're not alone. Many people are looking at this and trying to figure out what went wrong. It's almost compulsive, as everywhere you look there's something to critique.

Message 7 of 11 (127 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Spectre_01101 You can't just delete everyone's loot and create a new system

actually, you can, in a way, by making the old stuff obsolete. World of Warcraft does this with every expansion (still bitter over spending 2k gold on a purple recipe in vanilla, but I digress). Suppose they announced in the livestream tomorrow they were raising the level cap...

Message 8 of 11 (126 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Banfilidh wrote:

@Spectre_01101 You can't just delete everyone's loot and create a new system

actually, you can, in a way, by making the old stuff obsolete. World of Warcraft does this with every expansion (still bitter over spending 2k gold on a purple recipe in vanilla, but I digress). Suppose they announced in the livestream tomorrow they were raising the level cap...

Perhaps you're right, but I'd argue WoW is using a system well-designed for scalability (add more levels), rather than replacing the whole system (SWG NGE).

I still as an (ex) MMO player understand the annoyance when a new expansion comes out and you find the stuff that took months to grind is superceded by stuff that takes hours.

But what I mean with Anthem, is it really needs a whole new system and set of mechanics. Difficulty, for example, struggles to be realised under the current design. Bullet-sponging, sure, but AI that can deal with you flying away and regenerating shields in a way that's not cheap (e.g. OHKs?). Really the whole system is ripped from ME, which was really a repurposing of mechanics designed for singleplayer to create a short-term multiplayer addon.

The problem in particular if at that point you're down to a tiny playerbase consisting of the few people that love the current mechanics (there will always be at least one person can grind HoR for 12 hours a day for 6 months!), and you don't have the same momentum as you do at launch to attract people (back) to the game. Even if the new system is great, you're basically relaunching a new game with a negative history and little marketing. I struggle to think of many games that have launched as badly as Anthem, then redeemed themselves; perhaps Warframe (ironically, a direct competitor).

Message 9 of 11 (99 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice

to raise the lvl cap we would be needing some place where you can better find loot since ya it still not gm 1-3

Message 10 of 11 (96 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help