Highlighted

Re: Now that the game is dead: Maybe PvP

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide
Message 31 of 42 (262 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide
Eh considering ir was never marketed for pvp I don't see it happening so you might as well leave. Also game is not dead yet.
Message 32 of 42 (256 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@TheReal_USA_MAGA wrote:
I'm with you on the fix the bugs thing - but without PvP this title is dead. This business case is here for the PvE only dopes:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/02/26/anthem-looks-like-a-flop-what-does-it-mean-for-ele.aspx

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2019/03/17/i-dont-know-that-anthem-will-survive-these-bugs/#...

https://games.mxdwn.com/news/biowares-anthem-underperforms-in-physical-copies-sold/

The first article says literally nothing about PvP. It basically suggests that Anthem is underperforming because everyone assumed it will try to compete with Destiny and be like Destiny (which, I would actually agree with). I tried to read the second article, but got redirected to some bull**** fullscreen ads (which is sad to see happening on Forbes, but it says more about the current state of Forbes than it says about Anthem).

I’m honestly not going to bother reading the third article, but I want to point out that “copies sold” is not necessarily the most relevant metric in this particular case. By that logic, Warframe is an utter failure because it’s a free-to-play game and doesn’t sell any copies at all. What’s going to ultimately determine the success of Anthem, is how many people will keep playing the game in the long run, and supporting it by buying shards.

Note that “keep playing the game” doesn’t mean “keep grinding every day for months to get the maximum amount of coin, so they never have to pay for shards.” The kind of players that log in a couple times a week, play mostly for a few hours on a weekend, but also buy $40 worth of shards every month or two, are much more important to the financial success of the game in the long run.

This isn’t to say the first kind can go die in a fire, or that it isn’t important whether they enjoy the game or not. If nothing else, people who never feel they’re making enough coin, and always feel they have to prioritize rushing through content over actually taking their time to have fun, don’t make the most enjoyable squadmates in public groups. But the fact is, if most of them will never (or almost never) buy any shards, the game should not be designed around keeping as many of them playing as much as possible. Technically, the more they play, the less profitable the game becomes since, financially, all it does is increase the server costs. By pennies, but still. When your active players number in the millions, those pennies do eventually start to add up.

And the game especially shouldn’t be adding features that are likely to alienate the actual paying customers that support the game. And trying to make the game more appealing to the PvP crowd, for some unfathomable reason, would probably top that list. Simply because having to deal with more PvP players in the queues could itself easily become enough to make them log in less, or even find another game where they don’t have to deal with that ****.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 33 of 42 (222 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

By that logic, Warframe is an utter failure because it’s a free-to-play game and doesn’t sell any copies at all.

Warframe, while free, has a subtle but very aggressive monetization model. If you are a real free player, you will suffer a LOT until late game content when you can get yourself the needed plat by selling your better drops. And its not just cosmetics. Drop boost, drop chance, warframe slots, weapon slots etc. 12 hours crafting time for 3 warframe components each (can be done at the same time) then 72 hours to craft the actual warframe? 24 hours crafting time for a forma? Ohh, of course you can instantly finish crafting by paying plat. Like a money grab mobile game. Without plat, the grind is so excruciating that it drives you crazy. Not to mention the artificial breaks, you have daily limits to a lot of things, you have limited resources so you either open wallet or wait days to craft something etc. You missed that fancy prime warframe/weapon? Sorry, it got vaulted, it wont be back for at least half year, go buy plat and buy it from other players who still have them.

Sidenote: The saving grace of Warframe though is the enormous  amount of content (what, game out for 7 years? - nice to compare the amount of content to Anthem, right angryjoe?), making you able to apply enough variance to lessen the pain of the grind (ohh, and its free to install). But Anthem, while nowhere in content, easily beats the gameplay of Warframe (I got an invincible Trinity Prime and Necros Prime in Warframe, its spamming 2 buttons, sometimes 3.)

Message 34 of 42 (202 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice

No PVP for Anthem. Never was there, wasn't gong to be there, if someone wants pvp, they shouldn't even look at anthem, as there is no PVP. Stop trying to change water too whine.

Message 35 of 42 (180 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

No 

Message 36 of 42 (146 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Newbie

Lol I only play pvp therefore the market demands it. 

Add more pve to spite this pvpsnob lol(I like pvp too but get real)

Message 37 of 42 (128 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Well atleast they can't do a MassEffect style hordemode multiplayer since the whole game is already that. How about grand scale combat with vehicles (the Striders for example that actually take part in a battle in that one cutscene in the game..) like Battlefields? No boring 5v5 TDM/CTF/POINT CAPTURE crap but real 60v60 damn war.

You know, instead of all the busy-work we do how about something befitting a Freelancer Hero.

Edit: I can see a Walker Assault -mode from Battlefront copied to this already. Featuring the Striders as AT-AT ......

Message 38 of 42 (122 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Last time I checked EA had a very successful PVP game its called APEX Legends. Anthem doesn't need to compete with it. Bugs, loot and endgame has weakened Anthem but its still a very fun game to play. Have you played at all? People been parroting that for years and yet every year good to great PVE or story games come out. Gaming is a diverse universe and this has a good niche they just have to continue to deliver content and fix their problems. There is a lot there and its a lot of fun but it could be better. Improved loot has helped. 

Message 39 of 42 (117 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

I think I'm... yeah... I'm kinda getting a pvp snob vibe here.  

@TheReal_USA_MAGA wrote:

Have you learned your lesson yet?  A shooter without PvP is like going to the prom with no date - Like a PvE snob.  And all the people not posting here - are all the folks that didn't buy the game because there wasn't PvP.  How can you guys miss the whole action shooter target thing?  It's a total layup.  Clowns.

Message 40 of 42 (100 Views)
Twitter Stream