Noobs Noobs Noobs

by Cheese9Man

Original Post

Noobs Noobs Noobs

★★★★★ Expert

In this game, I was in a duo with my friend. We don't mind having noobs as our third since we're just doing our daily challenges (hence the Mirage and Fuse) and hop on back to Overwatch. Our third doesn't know how to play at all. Doesn't know how to swap armors and even tried reviving me under a Bangalore ult. 

The problem is if I were a new player like this player, I would be very frustrated facing against 4 year veterans. Why would they place new players in lobbies like this? I myself is used to getting rolled by better players but I can't imagine a noob player trying to learn a game being placed straight into our pre-made lobbies. No wonder new players are swayed away from the game. 

Poor random

IMG_0608.jpg

The funny part was this is the champion. We managed to get to 7th place baby sitting the Octane as much as possible even giving him our own armor. Help our noobs for the longevity of this game. I'm throwing hands if anyone says the MM is fine in this game. LOL.

IMG_0607.jpg

Do you think their Wraith is also a noob or a smurf account? LMAO.

Message 1 of 21 (615 Views)

Re: Noobs Noobs Noobs

★★ Expert

@Cheese9Man 

As I have noted elsewhere, this is all part of the plan.

Those players are meant to be food for the Streamers, the "Content Creators", the Masters and Preds, as they spend money, so they keep playing.

These poor new players are meant to be entertaining deaths for the masses to watch on Twitch or YouTube for the free advertising.

The same with the casual mid-levels like me.

The game is not the product, the views of our losses are.

I don't blame new players for quitting. They should. Until there is a churn of players, the population drops, until the Streamers and "Content Creators" start complaining because they have to start fighting each other, this matchmaking will not be fixed.

It's a game, but the rules are not for US, it's for them.

Message 2 of 21 (596 Views)

★ Expert

Had a teammate try to ark me while I was knocked, not one, but 2 arks, and a frag.

Had to hold hands the entire game, he kept crouch walking the entire map, to the point where I thought he was A.I.

Message 3 of 21 (586 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@KyldenarWhat I think is going on is that the matchmaker gives up finding suitable players for the sake of fast queue times.

Message 4 of 21 (584 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Cheese9Man

I think there's more at play here, though fast matchmaking is obviously a priority.. It's become very obvious to me that the matchmaker currently deliberately pairs a decent or half-decent player with team mates far below them. When I solo q, somehow I am that "carry" player, which blows my mind. I am very seldom given team mates at my level. And I am a sub-1 kdr player overall.

Careful records kept from the first split of last season separated out my solo q games from my games queued with other friends. Over the course of around 150 games, my KDR in those matches was 2.2, while my random team mates combined for an average of .39!! That's quite a discrepancy,and particularly noticeable to a player like myself, who can easily tell I am below average based on my performance in group matchmaking.  I am almost never given very strong team mates to carry me.  I actually cannot remember the last time this happened, it must have been several seasons ago.  My better experiences, including my few wins, come from being given team mates who are similar in skill to me, and even that is pretty darned rare. 

As a below average player, somehow my matchmaking experience is the same as that reported by those who are much better than I am. I don't even know what to conclude from this, except that the game's matchmaking clearly has something wrong with it.  I don't even like to solo queue, but I'm forced to do it in order to pad my stats enough to not quit the game out of sheer discouragement.  It's the only way I can see that I have improved as a player, and am not just the absolute worst.  Well, I guess that I can conclude that, in solo q, I occupy some sort of mid-tier MM, in which I am among the higher percentage. And that group matchmaking is so brutal that, regardless of whether I queue as a duo with my high-skilled friend or as a trio with my two other mid-tier friends, I am given opponents who are far above my pay grade.

Message 5 of 21 (571 Views)

@Cheese9Man I've been old both sides of the coin, both the top damage dealer in the team with two players who couldn't even repair their own shields, and as the noob with a team of sweaty superstars (they were really nice though) who could down players with their bare 30-30s that I couldn't even see were there. Neither experience was fun.

The sad part was that after the match with the TTV sweats, I got a match feedback survey and accidentally clicked on "Yes" when I wanted to click on "No, did not enjoy." So I inadvertently contributed more to this terrible situation.

TLDR; Respawn needs to understand that:

.5 + 3.5 + 1.0 will never be the same as 1.7 + 1.7 + 1.7
Message 6 of 21 (546 Views)

[ Edited ]

I should have added that when I queue as a duo with my higher skilled friend, we are almost without exception given a random third who is so bad that they rarely deal more than 100 damage in the match.  Usually, they end up getting knocked in our first encounter and then leave the game.  I can't say I blame them.

Message 7 of 21 (536 Views)

★★★ Novice

That is what SBMM is supposed to do, but if you are putting predators in with fresh accounts, SBMM is not working as it should. It should bend to allow matches to play so you don't have to wait forever. These lobbies are horrendous.

Message 8 of 21 (527 Views)

★★★ Expert
@pandareno1999

First, EVERY ONE WHO'S POSTED HERE got a thumbs up from me. 100% spot-on observations and comments. Nice to know it isn't just me.

I had a thought or two as I read your post, @pandareno1999. I'm pretty sure that we're exactly the same player. Reading your description of how you always seem to be the "carry" player when randomly matching... like looking in a mirror. But when I read your comparative kdrs, it made wonder if you're trying to play with your randoms in exactly the same way that you would play the match with good comms and people you know. I know that I've definitely developed very different attitudes toward the match depending on which kind of player I've been paired with, and being adaptable like that has yielded a fairly stable k/d and win rate, both fairly high, although both very heavily "currated." Anyway, it's a thing I wonder about a lot... whether people go into every single match with the exact same mindset and strategy, or whether there are factors that will cause them to change their routine. I'd be curious to know which of those players you are.
Message 9 of 21 (508 Views)

★★★ Expert
@LaughingSharko

".5 + 3.5 + 1.0 will never be the same as 1.7 + 1.7 + 1.7"

I laughed out loud. TWENTY YEARS of Halo and neither Bungie or 343 could understand this. Or they did but just didn't care. Idiots, every single multiplayer lead at every single fps developer, now and for all time.
Message 10 of 21 (506 Views)