Noob Guide to Getting Started in GM1 for Fun and Profit

by Banfilidh

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Noob Guide to Getting Started in GM1 for Fun and Profit

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

I was doing a legendary contract on gm1 this morning with a friend in a public instance. There was a veritable swarm of Outcasts, including an entire platoon of legendary heavies (the ones with the massive shields and flamethrowers, forget the name). Then things got bonkers when a Luminary showed up with all kinds of backup, from legendary lancers to elementalists. We have played many co-op games/MMOs together over the years and this mission was perhaps the most fun I’ve ever had in any of those games without invoking the name City of Heroes.

But let me back up for a moment. I want to try and help others that might be having some difficulty making the transition into grandmaster. The transition takes some effort on your part, but it can also be an incredibly fun and rewarding experience. 

1) get a couple of masterwork weapons on normal/hard (suggest hard so the jump isn’t that much bigger)

there are are some great weapons in the pool of possible drops. You don’t need perfect rolls or anything. A couple of these have big damage boosts when flying (e.g. avenging herald). Thunderbolt of Yvenia has a lightning proc which is great for taking down shields. Ralner’s Blaze primes enemies with fire.

Realize that when you take your first steps into GM1, the only masterworks you will have are weapons. This means that, even if it wasn’t the case for you before:

2) weapons take on increased importance when transitioning into GM1

You are going to need to use your guns a lot to have success. At least, I found that to be the case. Don’t be afraid to adjust your loadout to take advantage. For instance, on my Colossus, I have ralner’s blaze, so I switched one of my primers to a ranged detonator. Now I can safely combo enemies from a distance, something I haven’t needed to do up until now. This brings me to my next point:

3) if you are used to being super-aggressive, dial it back, at least until you get geared up.

You are probably going to die, far more than you have until now. Enemies are going to feel very difficult and you will feel like you are made of paper. But over time, as you start to gain more masterwork gear, that will slowly change and you will be better equipped to go toe to toe with the challenges you will face.

4) use your consumables!

You probably ignored these up until now, but once you hit 30, you have 3 consumable slots. You craft consumables in the expedition launch menus (look tothe right a few pages). These can give big boosts to shields, armor, weapon types, combo damage, etc. Take advantage of these to ease the transition. I recommend the blue ones (if you don’t see the purples, you need Higher faction loyalty). The epics cost 5 embers. Rares only cost two and there’s little other use for rare embers anyway.

As for gearing up, don’t just go diving into a stronghold on grandmaster, unless you have friends to carry you (in which case, you probably aren’t reading this). Start small, in freeplay or with a contract or two. If you are used to playing solo, find a friend or consider playing public contracts. If things don’t go well, take a look at your gear and see where you could craft something better. There are no masterwork supports yet, so this is a great slot to try to roll a big shield or armor bonus.

5) on GM1+, legendary contracts guarantee a masterwork component upon completion; strongholds guarantee a piece of masterwork gear.

I am having so much fun with this transition. You start out feeling like Swiss cheese but slowly get stronger and adjust your play to the new demands. I urge people to take this journey slowly and enjoy the ride. I think you will have a lot more fun with this if you don’t get carried through by people who are already geared up. Hopefully these simple tips will help some others make the transition. If I can do it, you can too.

Message 1 of 11 (435 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Noob Guide to Getting Started in GM1 for Fun and Profit

★★★ Guide

Bumping this up for any stragglers like myself. This mini-guide has been a huge help to me. The consumables advice is a lifesaver.

View in thread

Message 5 of 11 (296 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

Excellent post.

Message 2 of 11 (413 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Thanks. Having such a good time and hope others will too. Welcome any other additions you might have.

Message 3 of 11 (407 Views)

★ Pro

Fantastical Post! Wink

Message 4 of 11 (392 Views)

★★★ Guide

Bumping this up for any stragglers like myself. This mini-guide has been a huge help to me. The consumables advice is a lifesaver.

Message 5 of 11 (297 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@TKMcClone I’m so glad it helped! The transition should be somewhat easier now than it was when I wrote this, because masterworks have higher power ratings now (which helps boost melee, combo, and ultimate damage, among other things. Those first few will make that more of a difference, I would think.

More recently, I’ve really enjoyed the transition into GM2. Maybe I will try typing something up for that at some point, but it isn’t as straightforward a thing as moving into gm1, really.

Message 6 of 11 (280 Views)

[ Edited ]

There's nothing to say you can't pick your favorite Masterwork weapon and equip two copies with complementary stats, particularly if from the pool of weapons that drops below Grandmaster.

For example, between my two copies of Antinia's Gambit, i'm running it with extra shields, extra armor and extra damage.

a3666184-214f-4759-8682-bc1933673e5a.PNG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 7 of 11 (275 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@SofaJockeyUK I’ve done that with Ralner’s Blaze. I have a legendary with great offense and armor and a masterwork with 120% shields.

Message 8 of 11 (269 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Things must have changed, because I've picked up a few Masterwork Components in just normal Strongholds.

I did try delving in GM3 just to see. After emptying a full magazine of Autocannon rounds from the Fist of Strahl into a Tezler, and not so much as moving it's HP bar, I decided to exercise the better part of valor and come back to GM3 later!

Message 9 of 11 (219 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I would like a post where the weapons bonuses are explained. I can't figure out the bonuses from descriptions alone.

what does the hover symbol look like? etc...

Message 10 of 11 (144 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help