No one stimulating

by 82angelfan

Original Post

No one stimulating

★★ Novice

In the first Mass Effect series, the female characters were immediately interesting. Ashley and Miranda were just play "hot". EDI and Jack were sexually stimulating in a kinky kind of way. Even Tali was very sexy in a demure shy kind of mousy way, And then there was Lliara. She had it all.

In Andromeda, I seem to be choosing between the least annoying of the bunch. Is this on purpose?

Anyone else think this way?

Message 1 of 5 (1,001 Views)

Re: No one stimulating

You get those who think it was intentional for political reason, you get those who think Bioware isn't interested in running a "dating simulator", you get those who think it was just how they made the characters, and you get those who think they are fine as they are......personally I think it was a bit of all of the above.  I think Bioware intentionally toned down the sexiness of all females due to a variety of reasons, and while I think they missed the mark on characters and backstories, I don't have a real issue with them.  If you pick any of the above options, you can easily make a case for it being the "correct one" but I have no inside knowledge other than some there(in management) seem to be a fan of Anita Sarkeesian.

I personally think you have to work a bit harder to see the relationship potential(more realistic) and less about "Barbie Doll" beauty.  I also think they mixed up the personalities on a few characters, such as swapping Vetra's personality with Liam and Peebee's with Dr. Lexi P'terro...but that is just me.  They just missed the mark on a few things for some reason, but maybe it was more they were trying to do too much, as if you remember Ashley and young Liara were the only LIs in the first when they were world building and character creating.  Miranda was all second game, and Tali really didn't flesh out until the second one.  So I think they tried to make the first as good as the entire series of ME(and that is what we judge it on) instead of just being a starting place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5 (967 Views)

★★ Novice

I see you reasoning. As I said, the less annoying. It is the character development that I was attracted to.

For example, in The Witcher Wild hunt, I still chose Triss over Yennifer even knowing that Geralt was always looking for Yennefer. Because I was more attracted to Triss's personality as the games progressed (I always wanted Geralt to "Don't worry Marigold", in a Dudley Do Rght voice. The character development is crappy in ME Andromeda. Still enjoying it though.

Message 3 of 5 (963 Views)

To me you do see a nice change through the game, or maybe you just get a better understanding of the characters...

I have done the romances for Cora, Peebee, and Vetra to completion.  I do think you see more of them than you do in early game, and by your example you are still comparing characters that were developed over 3 games to a first edition game.  Think of Triss ONLY in The first Witcher and compare that to MEA....I think you will find MEA compares well or even betters original Witcher.  Personally I think it is a matter of tastes and expectations, which due to the nature of the game, and the world building going on, leads to difficulties for the game.....along with issues in dev and maybe some of the issues I posted in my original response.  For Male Ryder, I think Cora is my favorite LI, and since I am a Hetero Male, it is hard to romance a male with a female character...sorry feels weird to me....I usually wind up with Peebee, even though I have tried Suvi and just can't seem to follow through.....

I have heard some complaints from the Female side romances and the "side" romances such as the reporter asari or the Museum Director,but the side ones are much more brief and almost an afterthought in the romance department.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 4 of 5 (945 Views)

Hero

@82angelfan wrote:

I see you reasoning. As I said, the less annoying. It is the character development that I was attracted to.

For example, in The Witcher Wild hunt, I still chose Triss over Yennifer even knowing that Geralt was always looking for Yennefer. Because I was more attracted to Triss's personality as the games progressed (I always wanted Geralt to "Don't worry Marigold", in a Dudley Do Rght voice. The character development is crappy in ME Andromeda. Still enjoying it though.

The Witcher also has the benefit of having an entire book series of character development. Personally I can't bring myself to get Geralt and Triss in a romantic relationship because of some of the things she did in the past. Yennefer may be colder and harsher on the surface, but is definitely a better person overall.

As for Andromeda, I do think the characters are a bit too bland, and I more quickly formed a connection with the ME1 characters when I first played that. Same for ME2, with the exception of Jacob who could do with a more defining character trait than just the father issues. What I noticed about the first two Mass Effect games is that most of the characters had a twist. Wrex was an atypical krogan, since he wants to fight for the greater good instead of money. Garrus is an atypical turian because he doesn't play by the book. Mordin has a rational mind but had to turn to spirituality after his genophage work. What do the characters in Andromeda have? Drack is old and grumpy. Vetra likes to get things done. They're bland because there's no twist.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 5 (926 Views)