No Map Choice May Be A Wise Decision

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

No Map Choice May Be A Wise Decision

★★★ Expert

Taking Kings Canyon out may seem like a mistake to many, but it's not always as simple as it looks. We need to keep in mind that Respawn are not beginners and they surely care about the game a lot more than any of us, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that their lives actually depend on this game, as it's their daily job Standard smile.

Below are some things that may have been discussed in the studios before taking the decision of not letting the old map in,as a choice for players.

• Apex has 2 maps now, probably dividing the playerbase wouldn't create such a big problem. But no one considers the fact that Respawn has a 10 year plan for the game. For that to be achievable, they surely need to develop more maps, like 5-10. Having all those available for the players would split the playerbase too much, possibly killing the game prematurely. Respawn has the experience of Titanfall 2, where there are barely 2000 concurrent players per platform, after only 3 years. Many of those 16 amazing PvP modes can be considered dead, as waiting to get 1-11 other players for a 5-10 minute match can easily take half an hour or more.
  • Each map has its own, unique meta, which takes some time to learn, not to speak of mastering. "Old Skull" veterans would probably prefer to continue ranking up in Kings Canyon, doing what they've learned in the last few months, instead of losing RPs while learning the new map. Forcing them to adapt to the new meta reduces the skill gap a little, giving more chances to newcomers. 
  • Upcoming legends and weapons may not work well the old maps. I see Crypto and the Charge Rifle being too overpowered in Kings Canyon.
  • Having more maps available at all times would translate to a lot more work for the devs and testers, slowing the development of the game considerably. Permanent maps would need refreshing updates periodically to remain interesting, while each new legend would have to go through an exhaustively fine tuning to have it properly balanced for each map. 
  • Not letting people sit too much in their comfort zone can produce great, well rounded players over time, which will keep Apex among the best choices for high level gameplay for the fans of this genre.
  • Old maps coming back in the form of limited time events is a great idea, balancing issues caused by latter additions become less evident during only 2 weeks, while the permanent map can escape from getting frequent changes that could break the fine tuning.

Message 1 of 6 (319 Views)

Re: No Map Choice May Be A Wise Decision

★★ Guide

True true, allow me to add,

Having multiple maps playable at the same time will kill the game, same what happened with pubg, people started abandoning a game in the old in favour of trying the new maps.

Respawn, is putting a story behind any map change season 1 to season 2, glitches in season 2 and why they had to move to new area until they fix the situation at kings canyon. This for me at least makes the game more alive.

As you said the new map give a chance to mid level players to catch up with the pros even if for a limited time until everyone learn the map.

Finally no need to panic kings canyon will return, they put alot of effort in designing it to just throw it in trash.

Message 2 of 6 (306 Views)

★★ Novice

I am sure Kings Canyon will be back. I hope that they will add some new elements to it so it will offer different plays like the new map Standard smile

Message 3 of 6 (278 Views)

★ Guide

Nope it was a terrible decision. Now everyone only wants to drop capitol city or the other city the near it. 95% of games I’ve gotten in the jump master goes there and if I get jump master people just launch solo then go there. It’s so frustrating. Now I just leave when those places get pinged. Hey devs that whole not wanting players to leave cause they didn’t get the map they wanted wouldn’t be an issue IF YOU PUT AN OPTION FOR WHICH ONE TO PLAY. 

Message 4 of 6 (264 Views)

★★★ Expert
@KiLA_Stephen According to the info obtained by some data miners, KC will come back for Halloween, so only for 2 weeks. It will come with a night mode, probably solo + PvE.
Message 5 of 6 (220 Views)

★★★ Expert
@Kevin-c946 You could choose Kings Canyon and get dropped 95% of the time in Skull Town. The problem is bad communication. Instead of just leaving, you could disagree with the pinged location or be the first to propose your preferred landing area. Also, you can sometimes party up with players that you find better, this increases the chance of dropping in different places.

Anyway, I've only dropped like 3-4 times in Skyhook and Capitol City since this season started, otherwise I've landed in all the other areas a couple of times. I've also been given the jumpmaster role a lot more often than usual, so my experience so far is very different than yours.
Message 6 of 6 (210 Views)