Re: Newb question about getting started

by ivrognard

Original Post

Newb question about getting started

★★★ Newbie

Just about to download orgin for my daughter...Just concerned about the space required for each game...

The origin client takes up space (given), but curious about each game?  Are they actually installed or streaming? She wants to start off with the Sims 4.  Requirements say 18 gigs recommended.  Wasn't sure if that was only for when you buy/download a physical copy.  If installed, may need to just add in a new HDD just for these games.

Thanks very much in advance! 

Message 1 of 7 (565 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi @dingoace10,

To answer your question about games on Origin, those are installed on your computer.

To make sure that your experience with the game will be optimized, I think that you need to add a new HDD. Wink

Hope that I answered to your question.

Message 2 of 7 (560 Views)

EA DICE Team

@dingoace10

They are indeed installed, as detailed by @kaptainemo. The good thing is that the game will tell you how much space you will need before it begins download and installing.

In the meantime, I hope your daughter will have a lovely time with Sims 4! And if you've got any further questions, let us know!

Cheers,

Message 3 of 7 (546 Views)

[ Edited ]

@dingoace10 the space may vary. The old games can go to maximum 20gb each, while the newer ones are at least 40gb each. Sims 4 base installation is around 20gb, but with added expansions and stuff packs, the size will increase quite a bit. So, as @kaptainemo said, a new HDD should be added. I'd say that a 3TB HDD should do tthe trick for a few more years from now on. The 3TB HDD are not that expensive (100-160$, depending on the manufacturer). HGST and Western Digital Red are your best options - durable workhorses, ideal for intense gaming, with the new Seagate Baraccuda series coming in third. Would avoid Toshiba HDD or the Samsung ones. They are nice for office work, but they are not meant for gaming.

Minimum RPM recommended for gaming is 7200rpm, so take that in consideration when you buy the new HDD, if you decide to buy one. Also, check if the HDD is NAS recommended. Those are usually very resistent and have a rather long life, as they are meant for mediums(network servers) that are dealing with a lot of data on daily basis and are stressed a lot. A NAS HDD is a bit more expensive, but definitely worth its money. Stay away of hybrid HDD's. Those are prone to last less than a normal HDD or a normal SSD. If you prefer, get a small SSD for the Operating System (Windows or MacOS or Linux) and a big one where you will install the games. For SSD, the Samsung EVO series are the best choice when it comes to quality/price. If you have troubles in choosing a HDD, i'd be happy to help. 

I will also add that in the Origin store you have a system requirements tab where you could see the minimal requirements and the recommended ones. So looking at that helps. The 18GB is only for the basic Sims4. With added expansions and stuff packs you might end up with at least 40GB occupied by Sims 4. 

My current HDD is a 3TB one. Needless to say, i will probably buy a new one soon, as i kind of filled it with games that i play and i did not put so many games as you might think. But due to the modern games size, it filled fast (i have around 50 games that i play quite a bit and i am too lazy to uninstall/reinstall them when i take a break from any of them). I doubt that yourself or your daughter will ever need as much space as me, but who knows: maybe she will fall in love with playing games.

The games are actually installed and not streamed. Origin, Steam, uPlay and GOG Galaxy will install the games on your HDD. They will use the resources of your PC. So make sure that your PC meets the requirements. For a good gaming sessions, you might want to meet the recommended requirements and not the minimum ones. 

Thus being said, i hope that your daughter will enjoy Sims 4. The Sims series are quite nice and relaxing and definitely my favorite when i want to take a break from some more intense games. 

P.S.: sorry for the wall of text.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 7 (478 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks all for the info!

Going to probably install on my Mac laptop for now (since Sims 4 is not really that graphically intense) which has a 250 gig SSD.  Not sure how many games will actually be installed since I am mostly a console gamer and my daughter is just getting into PC gaming.

So for right now I think I will be ok, but in the future may have to upgrade to a new desktop with larger HDDs and a "beefy" graphics cards.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Message 5 of 7 (471 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Sorry last question...what happens to the games that I buy through origin if I cancel my membership?
Thanks!
Message 6 of 7 (463 Views)

[ Edited ]

@dingoace10 if you actually buy the games you will keep them. If you only have the Origin Access subscription, you won't have access to those games anymore until you renew it. I'd say to just forget about the Origin Access subscription and buy the games from the Origin store, if money are a problem and at some point you won't be able to renew the membership on Origin Access.

P.S.: don't install on Mac. Lots of problems on Mac when it comes to PC gaming. You are better on a Windows PC. One of the reasons while deveopers favor Windows PC is that they are better suited for gaming, while Mac shines in the working area.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 7 of 7 (453 Views)