New circle damage is bad, here's why

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

New circle damage is bad, here's why

★★★ Expert

So, last night, my team dropped in Slum Lakes, and we were soon fighting against 3 other teams. It was a really nice one, Wattson's abilities were great in buying time to reload or recharge health or shields. We managed to win, but the ring came over us as soon as we started looting the deathboxes for health and armor. We were forced to run, the next ring was really far, I dropped 100m away, while my teammates managed to get in the next ring with 10% health each, only to get killed with 2-3 shots by a team that was probably camping at the edge, waiting for easy prey.

Next match, with another randoms team, we fight hard against two other squads in Hydro Dam. One of the teammates runs away because he can't find any weapon, and we get downed while the last surviving enemy Wraith runs away because the ring is closing and she probably has like 10% life left and no health kits. Our runaway teammate comes back, but manages to save only me, and then we have a horrible running simulator, where I fall again and again, but the teammate revives me and shares medkits. As soon as we get in the second ring, there's no time to loot, because it's closing and we have to keep running until we get in the middle of a big fight between Market and Skulltown. I have decent weapons, but 10% health and basic armor, ring is coming behind me, so I can't attack the enemies or loot any of the deathboxes. My teammate has more health and armor and starts shooting his way but is downed fast. I decide to run and get one shotted in the back.

I understand it's survival, but abandoning fights because of ring damage is not fun. The game is forcing you to land in the central area or else you may end in a running simulator. It's a bummer especially because some of the areas at the edge of the map were excellent for fighting (had some great battles in Slum lakes, Relay, Airbase, Water Treatment, Artillery). Some new challenges make things even worse because they require you to land in areas that are sometimes at the edge of the map and this often leads to either many teams dropping in the same area, or to have your team split up because they want to play it safe and land in the center. You can't even loot properly at times, and it sucks because you may want to try the new hopups, energy mags, or chase the dragons. On top of all this, the current ring damage works against the new legend, Wattson, because she is a defensive, support character that increases the length of a fight.

I hope it gets back to what it was, at least for the first round closing.

Message 1 of 49 (1,737 Views)

Re: New circle damage is bad, here's why

★★★★★ Guide

1# On the side of the maps is the better loot. So jumping in the middle meens less running but worse loot.  Pick your poison.

2# The first circle does not do THAT much damage its easy to outheal with a few small heals.

3# You saying you want to be able to run in storm with 10% hp left? They may as well remove it.

4# YES you have to chose between fignting and running from the storm!

Thank god this game has more depth and tactics in it then just people figuring out who has the best aim.

Good position --> Good aim.

And yes. Good position and camping are 2 completely different things!

5# Teams waiting at the side of the circle for easy prey.

Just make sure you are not the easy prey.

There is a timer on the side of your screen showing you exacly when the circle will come.

YES abandon the fight and try to make them the pray while they struggle to get in the safe zone.

Be in the good position first.

Message 2 of 49 (1,715 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@DaAceXD Finally a guy who comes with good arguments why this new storm damage isn’t brutal. I was starting to think I was the only one on the forums not against it and actually enjoying it. And this comes from a very berry agressive player. I’m the one in TDM who will kill you even if it means getting 4 shotted by your teammates! XD

This new storm isn’t for no-thinkers which I think most ppl nowadays are if these forums are a reflection of the ppl playing FPS/BRs. The storm is a mechanic to, get this, make a playing field smaller to fight in by way of dealing damage. It is not, get this, an extra zone where you get slightly damaged in but where you can fight opponents. If you want to do that, that’s fine but don’t go complaining that you ‘died due to the storm’.

How do you think ppl react when a real storm is incoming? A real storm ‘pushes’ people into a safe zone (buildings, covers... underground bunkers). You guys just want a rainy day which inconveniences you but where you can still actually walk in. NO! Stop that way of thinking!

@DoYaSeeMe, sometimes that happends. Just be aware of your surrounding and pay attention to the timer I’d say. I did laugh about the one shotted in the back tho xD

People complaining about this new storm damage remind me of the ppl complaining bout the S1 battlepass being over. I see basically the same comments but in a new jacket. ‘Didn’t see that the storm was coming and died due to it’ - answer for that, look at the ‘storm timer’ and your map. ‘Didn’t know that the battle pass ended that day’ - answer for that, look at the BP timer.
Message 3 of 49 (1,706 Views)

★★★ Expert

In those situations I had full health, but very few or no medkits, but the next ring was very far. You can't run straight, so, once you're outside, it's very hard to get back in, unless you're Patfinder. When you are dropping, you don't know where the next ring will be, then if you go in a fight you can't just run away and die shot in the back or letting your teammates die outgunned. 

Who cares about timers while fighting the enemy?

Message 4 of 49 (1,705 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Koochi-Q 

Thing is people were already complaining about not having good teammates. Now you need an even higher awareness in your squad. I had my team split when dropping a few times last night, some wanted to push, some wanted the L-Star, some wanted to play it safe, some wanted to complete the daily challenge of landing in artillery. This new ring damage is dividing.

It's not that I can't escape, but it takes away the pleasure of fighting in certain areas or hunting the last survivor of the enemy team. I would've tried something else to push out campers, like Leviathans walking through and stomping the shacks, or dragons attacking campers that hide in bushes, forcing them to fight back and expose their positions.

Message 5 of 49 (1,691 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@DoYaSeeMe You have to prioritise in life dont ya? Well gaming is life LOLZ. In real life if you’re cramming for an upcoming exam that takes place in a week but your boss wants you to finish the deadline that end tomorrow. Which would you do, which is more important?

Same applies here. Do you think logically and disengage with potential fallback from enemy or do you commence shooting with certainty of dying to due them or the storm
Message 6 of 49 (1,689 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I completely agree with the OP.

1. The Ring Closes too fast, especially in Round 1.

2. The ring Damage is way too high.

3. This continues a worsening degrees throughout the Game.

Those occasions where you win without having to fight anyone in the final round has seen a massive increase.

There has to be some middle ground between the way it was previously and the awful way it has been ruining the Gameplay experience since Season 2 started.

Message 7 of 49 (1,674 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@TommyButs wrote:

I completely agree with the OP.

1. The Ring Closes too fast, especially in Round 1.

2. The ring Damage is way too high.

3. This continues a worsening degrees throughout the Game.

Those occasions where you win without having to fight anyone in the final round has seen a massive increase.

There has to be some middle ground between the way it was previously and the awful way it has been ruining the Gameplay experience since Season 2 started.

Sorry if you die in the first circle you deserved to die in the circle.

It takes like 30-40 sec to kill you.

If you die in the first circle you just messed up big time.

The later damage of the circle is good.

It has to hurt!

Or the matches would take way to long because chickens would just camp the cicle with a lifeline and a ton of heals.

''Those occasions where you win without having to fight anyone in the final round has seen a massive increase.''

If camping in the circle is possible you think that would not make it even worse? more places to hide for those people.

''There has to be some middle ground between the way it was previously and the awful way it has been ruining the Gameplay experience since Season 2 started.''

Its good as it is, As i sayd before. If you get stuck in the first circle without heals. You deserve to die.

Message 8 of 49 (1,665 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@DoYaSeeMewell hello, That's what its supposed to do to get all your camping butts from camping and start making you move at each other….. maybe start getting in or toward the ring faster and stop looting forever..

Message 9 of 49 (1,664 Views)

★★ Pro

I haven't died to a level 1 storm yet - but I play with it in mind a lot more, meaning that I don't get the early fights I would have before this patch.

This isn't a whine because I CAN'T play with the enhanced storm damage because it kills me - it's a statement that the increased storm damage means that there are far fewer early game fights.

Great if you want fewer fights and less 3ping earlygame - garbage if you want more fights sooner.  It's that simple.  It doesn't boil down to which players have the higher IQ or not : the effect is more or fewer fights and the kind of game you want to have.

Less 3P fights but a lot more people camping the edge of the next zone looking to clean up players coming FROM fights, or who were late into the zone - which is just as ratty and easy as 3Ping a fight, if not more : because those players options are totally diminished in terms of movement.

I prefer more as do loads of others.  I'm not going to 'vote with my wallet' because the game's free and despite my issues with Respawn trying hard to manipulate the playerbase into changing how most people have played up to now for reasons unknown - it's still the best FPS available to me on xbox.  Not just BR, best FPS.

The argument that people don't like this new ring because they're stupid or unable to adapt is in and of itself - stupid.

Message 10 of 49 (1,659 Views)