Re: Nerf Mastiff please (everyone is carrying it)

by EThought113213

Original Post

Nerf Mastiff please (everyone is carrying it)

★ Guide

This is just ridiculous now. Everyone is carrying a Masitff. The should be no weapon that does more than 100 damage with a click. This is truly the most frustrating weapon in game now. I hoped it'd get nerfed after S07...

Message 1 of 10 (500 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Revanchist_KOR I hate it too. Just fight fire with fire and use one. I was hoping they would've swapped the mastiff with the PK at the start of S8.
Message 2 of 10 (468 Views)

★★ Expert
@Cheese9Man The PK is stronger than the Mastiff, so it’d be a bad idea to swap them.
Message 3 of 10 (465 Views)

★ Guide

Just stay outside of 5 meters of them and spray them down. It's gotten to the point that if u don't carry a mastiff you shouldn't be in CQC. You can get 2 pumped in the time it takes you to empty a 99 mag and start reloading.  

That eva-8 buff with a purple bolt is a pretty nice counter tho

Message 4 of 10 (443 Views)

★ Expert

@Sir_Named I'm not sure PK was stronger than Mastiff when it was last on the ground, it was also less consistent (although Mastiff also has this problem sometimes). To do 190 damage in two shots is too easy with this gun so a slight damage nerf should be. My personal opinion though.

Message 5 of 10 (435 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@Cro_Pittt Floor loot PK was stronger than floor loot Mastiff. PK did 10x11 for 110 in one shot vs. Mastiff's 13x8 for 104. The real problem with the previous shotgun metas was mostly damage and pellet dispersion. 

Mastiff has always been gimped by its horizontal pellet distribution, and the fact you needed to ADS with it. You had to be a LOT closer to get good hits in, and even then you might not get good hits anyway due to hit-reg and horizontal spread.

EVA's pellet dispersion is too spread out compared to the PK meaning hipfire or ADS you might still miss based on the width / height, as well as distance to the target. On a shotgun with the lowest per round damage, that's not really what you want. A really nice buff would be much much tighter pellet spread, and crosshairs to match. 

PK reigned king of shotguns for 5 seasons because it had really good damage, and most of its pellets were concentrated in the center of the crosshair, meaning even on thinner targets you might've missed a few pellets but still hit really hard. Precision choke just made it even better. PK became king of shotguns because it was king of consistency and damage, while Mastiff suffered from mediocre consistency (and being a CP only weapon at the time it was hard to find), and EVA suffered from both mediocre consistency and damage. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/asql1e/shotguns_ads_vs_hip_fire_spread/

Shotguns in general just need redefined characteristics based on damage and consistency. Kind of like how we have ammo types with different innate characteristics per weapon. EVA should've been king of consistency within shotgun range and have a longer effective range, Mastiff should double down on its inconsistent nature but really bump up the pellet damage while removing ADS spread tightening requiring you to get very close to drop targets, and the PK should be a nice middleground between the two. 

Message 6 of 10 (425 Views)

★ Guide

Shotguns in this game are just poorly designed and will never be balanced. That's just the way they designed them. If you nerf the Mastiff it becomes no different from the EVA, if you buff the EVA it's the same as the Mastiff. Mozambique is just dead content, if they buff it, it becomes the same as the EVA, nerf it and it stays trash. There is no fixing shotguns in this game. 

They will never remove any of them either, because of the incredibly annoying reason of "oh well people paid money for skins, so we can't get rid of any gun in the game". Adding another shotgun would be pointless. Annoying AF.

They'll just always be unbalanced, it's just the way the game was designed. 

Message 7 of 10 (421 Views)

★★★ Expert

I would rather see a smallish buff to R-301, Flatline and Hemlock damage (the 30-30 hasn't been out long enough for me to say), and also a bit of a buff to Wingman, and that would be much better than nerfing a weapon that kills you because, you know, you blew it and got too close.  The game is biased to CQC because mid-range is not strong enough.  Neither are snipers but that's a seperate topic.

Message 8 of 10 (402 Views)

★ Guide

Buff to wingman?!! Hahaha! Sure pal! Like its underpowered!

Message 9 of 10 (358 Views)

★ Expert
@Revanchist_KOR They should just take out PK so we have more variety when it comes to shotguns. They should put golden mozambique in CP.
Message 10 of 10 (353 Views)