Re: NVIDIA GeForce driver requirement for BFV

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Accepted Solution

NVIDIA GeForce driver requirement for BFV

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi, the latest BFV update just installed but it's complaining that I need to update my GeForce driver to version 416.94. I'm currently at 416.34. Now when I originally installed the game a few weeks back I complied and installed version 416.94. But it ran amok with my dual monitor setup and so I tried the very latest version from NVIDIA but it too failed. The error that I was getting with these two new GeForce drivers was that it would blur the second screen. Now that might be OK for playing BF V but it is not OK for my normal use as a developer. So I reverted back to 416.34 and it all worked fine again. BF V never complained while running under this driver.

Do I have to go through the tiresome exercise of installing the 416.94 version and then installing 416.34? Can you please update your BF V installer to at least provide the user with an option to ignore this driver update requirement. I know it's going to be a  little extra time tweaking your installer scripts but it will save me and I expect many other of your customers a lot of time. That would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Update: I downloaded the latest GeForce driver 617.22, which says its specifically for the latest BF V update. That too succumbs to the same problem on my dual monitor system - ie if the machine goes to sleep I can't wake up the second monitor or if I can it's blurry. AGain I reinstalled 614.34 but this time the game won't run under it. I get the same message as I did when installing - ie the minimum requirement is 614.94. 

This is now a show stopper. I use this machine primarily as a development machine. I must have dual monitors. Can you please work up a fix ASAP. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (636 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

Community Manager

Hey @ArjunaDave best thing to try may be a clean install of the GPU drivers. I'm running the most up to date Nvidia driver on a triple monitor set up and not seeing any issues. Not am I seeing any other reports of this issue. Generally, a blurry screen is related to an issue with driver install or a loose/faulty cable. 

Are both your monitors connected to the same GPU?

Have you checked in your Nvidia settings to ensure that both monitors are set correctly, something as simple as setting the scaling mode to Full-screen if it is currently set as Aspect Ratio can fix issues.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (619 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

Community Manager

Hey @ArjunaDave best thing to try may be a clean install of the GPU drivers. I'm running the most up to date Nvidia driver on a triple monitor set up and not seeing any issues. Not am I seeing any other reports of this issue. Generally, a blurry screen is related to an issue with driver install or a loose/faulty cable. 

Are both your monitors connected to the same GPU?

Have you checked in your Nvidia settings to ensure that both monitors are set correctly, something as simple as setting the scaling mode to Full-screen if it is currently set as Aspect Ratio can fix issues.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 3 (620 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Thanks Darko. I've tried various options including reinstalling different drivers from scratch. I'm using the latest at the moment. Setting the scaling to full screen on both monitors seems to have got rid of the blurring but it did not help wake up the wretched second monitor after the computer goes to sleep. There seems to be heaps of other users that have complained about this issue for years now and the buck seems to be passed between MS and NVIDIA.

I'd just like to remind you that I had been using my system for many months perfectly fine. A few days before I installed BFV there was a update to Win 10 and then your game required me to update the GeForce driver. I don't know which manged to screw things up but it would be nice for MS and NVIDIA to get together and try and work it out once and for all. 

The only way I get around this now is to disable sleep for not only my hard drive but my monitors too and I've had to do that both within the Win 10 OS Settings and the NVIDIA settings. This IMHO is not an acceptable workaround. 

I appreciate that you can't force MS and NVIDIA to solve this but you do have some pull with them if they are going to the effort of doing a special driver update just for your game. You should provide users with the option to fall back to an older driver. That would help. Also if you know that scaling should be set to full screen, then your installer should at the very least recommend the user to set it so and preferably ask for confirmation and then do it for them. That would get rid of the blurry issue. FYI the NVIDIA control panel defaults scaling to aspect ratio not full screen. These things you can do and they would be appreciated. Thanks for listening to my gripe. As a fellow software developer I know what it's like and I appreciate your service.

Message 3 of 3 (532 Views)