Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: My (bad) experience with the Colossus

by 000No-Mercy000

Original Post

My (bad) experience with the Colossus

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

So, leaving aside the problems that I've run into (Infinite Loading, missing XP etc.) I wanted to share out my experience with the Colossus.
I've hit level 12 today and me and a friend both wanted to play as the Storm initially, but then I thought I'd try out the Colossus and leave the Storm for my friend so we can cover more javelins together. 

I started with a Ranger, just like everyone else, and the experience with it was quite positive. The Javelin was pretty nimble, I enjoyed it's abilities and it's ultimate and it's what I used to go through the few missions that we've got.

The Colossus felt like a downgrade, even after gathering some items for it.
- It seems quite slow in terms of moving and reaction speed, but I was pleased to see that flight speed is not affected.
- It doesn't have a barrier over his health, just the health and that's it, so there's nothing to regenerate mid-fight so you just have to keep looking for those health packs if you want to stand a chance. 

- While the Ranger had a pretty useful dodge on CTRL, that allowed me to avoid plenty of projectiles of explosions that would have otherwise been fatal, the Colossus has a shield which he bring up decently fast, depending on what you're doing when you try to bring it up, but once up, it defends you for a very few shots and then it's gone, and the recharging speed isn't the best.

- The heavy weapons didn't seem to be all that good, or at least, not the ones that I've got. For the most part it felt like they weren't really doing that much damage or that they were running out of magazines way too fast.
- While other javelins are jumping and flying around, going from camp to camp, monster to monster, it feels like you're just standing still most of the time, mostly in cover because your shield gets destroyed or you're low on health and it won't regenerate...
- And to top it all off, I've done hard missions on my Ranger and haven't died once and on my Colossus, I kept dying and dying like I was made out of glass.

- The ultimate felt nice though, I liked that it was flashy and it dealt pretty good damage.

Now I'm wondering, is this an issue where I'm failing to adapt to the play style of the Javelin or is it really quite bad? Did you guys find it more enjoyable?
Sure, once the full game comes out, at higher levels, it might get better, but given the core negatives that I found, I tend to doubt that.

I wish I could have gotten the Storm Frown 

Have fun in Anthem! Thanks for reading! o/

LATER EDIT:
I decided to give the colossu another chance and this is some more about my experience with it:

When I heard that colossus is going to have heavy weapons, I expected big explosions that deal a lot of damage, but probably low magazines to balance that out and that would have been fine.
However, trying out some of the grenade launchers, they barely tickled most of the enemies and with that, the magazines were pretty small so I'd run out of grenades quickly.
The minigun also felt like it didn't do way too much either. It's effective range is very small and the fact that the colossus isn't that tanky, doesn't help as much. If you plan to stand near enemies to have the minigun be effective, you'll probably just going to die before barely managing to scratch the enemies.

The flamethrower and shock coil felt good and useful. So useful that I used them more than the weapons, but it kinda sucks that you need some specific skills to have the class feel viable while the other javelins seem to be doing fine with whatever. The shock coil and flame thrower seem like a MUST HAVE for the colossus and makes every other option of gear feel useless. That's the way I see it at least.

The shield also acts as a disadvantage i'd say. While other classes have their shields over their health bears, if they get attacked, they can just fight back and defend themselves properly. The colossus on the other hand, has to hold up their shield while not really being able to attack, unless you plan to go ramming into enemies which doesn't really do that much.
Beside that, the shield goes down pretty fast and when it does, it also staggers you for a little bit, while other classes don't get such drawbacks in my opinion.

Since they gave us all 4 Javelins, I went ahead and tried the Storm and the Interceptor and even though the interceptor is supposed to be the squishy javelin, I felt like because of it's mobility and it's recharging shield, I could survive for longer and easier.
But, maybe this is just a matter of my own preference. Maybe the colossus is not for me and I'm not for it. Maybe I'm doing some things awfully wrong or maybe I still need to get certain gear to make me better, but this was my experience with it.

I hope this whole thread helped you get a better overview of what the Colossus is like. Some had a great time with it, some did not, but I read pros and * as well and hopefully, you'll be able to decide which class is better suited for you or find out how to bring out the most out of the colossus. 

Message 1 of 152 (2,745 Views)

@TrooperHK wrote:

Now I'm wondering, is this an issue where I'm failing to adapt to the play style of the Javelin or is it really quite bad? Did you guys find it more enjoyable?...

I felt the same way, but with a little work, I'm loving it.

The extra weapon damage is great but you can't just stand in the middle and take it all (maybe with the right inscriptions, yes).

The method I'm using is to use the physical shield to get in close enough, shotgun and heavy weapon kills to claim the ammo/health, rinse/repeat.

I haven't yet 'got gud' but I'm on the way to not being bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 2 of 152 (2,727 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I see, thanks for your input! Standard smile

Maybe I'll give the colossus another chance in the open demo where, hopefully, the infinite loading issue, will be fixed. 

Message 3 of 152 (2,717 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

No your not wrong buddy, the colossus is quite paper mashie! Very weak in the old tank department, hopefully they will beef it up in a rebalance in the future. 

Message 4 of 152 (2,709 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@TrooperHK wrote:

Now I'm wondering, is this an issue where I'm failing to adapt to the play style of the Javelin or is it really quite bad? Did you guys find it more enjoyable?...

I felt the same way, but with a little work, I'm loving it.

The extra weapon damage is great but you can't just stand in the middle and take it all (maybe with the right inscriptions, yes).

The method I'm using is to use the physical shield to get in close enough, shotgun and heavy weapon kills to claim the ammo/health, rinse/repeat.

I haven't yet 'got gud' but I'm on the way to not being bad.

The thing is, the point of a tank is to BE ABLE to stand in the middle of it and take it.

Basically his play style ends up charging into fodder enemies with the shield up hoping to get health orbs every time you need health.

he badly needs some kind of regeneration, Ive seen some mention that one of his items does have a regen/healh, but I haven't seen it yet.

It makes him the only javelin that cant simply get out of the line of fire and recover, which is bad and leads to deaths other javelins dont have to worry about.

Message 5 of 152 (2,683 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Concur. I always play tank, because I am not good at playing fast. To do Colossus I have to be fast. Rain fire from above, kill the swarm beneath me, jump down and grab the scoobies before more enemies swarm the area, and fly back up to cover. That's not how tank is supposed to play. Tank is supposed to roll in there and TAKE IT. I'm ok with the not regenerating and depending on drops to get health back, but the health has got to LAST LONGER.

Message 6 of 152 (2,667 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
He does have more health bars than the ranger, but to me it kind of feel like it takes roughly the same amount of time for the ranger to lose shield + health that it takes for the colossus to lose his health bars, and then, even though the ranger gets left with little health, at least he gets his barrier that fully regenerates and it's ready to soak some more damage, while the colossus just have to stand there holding his physical shield.
And if an enemy is attacking from behind, well, good luck with that shield...
I feel like overall, in the demo, the ranger is tankier than the colossus and can survive for longer.
Message 7 of 152 (2,650 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Ooh a Colossus thread. This is my chance to ask: What key is for whipping out the shield? I picked Storm and wanna try Colossus out during open demo, so just so I can imagine how it'll feel.
Message 8 of 152 (2,634 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Doesnt progress carry over from VIP to the open demo

Message 9 of 152 (2,628 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
It does, but open demo is free so new account. Standard smile
Message 10 of 152 (2,615 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help