My Apex Experience Today

by JonStriker126

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My Apex Experience Today

[ Edited ]

Match 1: Q'd for Trios, missing a teammate, and the other teammate goes AFK after drop. I'm forced to 1v3 and I die to the first squad I encounter

Match 2: Q'd for Trios. Full squad, but they want to drop in a popular area. They get downed instantly, Im only able to pick up a single grenade before I die to the team that killed my squad mates

Match 3: Q'd for Trios. Full squad. Another popular drop. Me and one squad mate gets down before we can pick up anything to defend ourselves. My other teammate runs away, never comes back for our banner, loots for a little bit and dies to a 3 man squad.

My next two matches were at least a match. I had both teammates, we got the ability to loot and got to fight a bit. Didn't make it very far, but hey, at least it was an actual game.

And, you know what, that's fine. But the first three matches? Especially, the one where I'm missing a teammate and the other goes AFK, happen far too often. Honestly, it's things like that where I understand why people want Solos. It probably won't happen though. And that No Fill option still would force you to 1v3 the entire game, which is not ideal.

All that aside though, I also feel "drop and die" is a big problem as well. Not just because you might drop in a popular zone, but even how the loot works. And if you have teammates who gobble everything up, you're left with nothing. Personally, I really hate the times you die, because all you had was a single grenade to defend yourself with. It's just frustrating.

Honestly, at its core, I do like this game. But, when you get days like today (or worse) where most of the time you spend playing by yourself or you "drop and die" over and over again, the game starts to wear on you. At least, in my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Message 1 of 29 (955 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My Apex Experience Today

★★ Expert

@JonStriker126 yeah that's the standard Apex experience, pretty much why a lot of people who originally started with Apex have quit, and why a lot of "professional" players have moved off of Apex to do other things. 

Today I played for an hour just to do my dailies. An hour. For 125 total damage in a match, 5 knockdowns, 5 kills, 150 crafting materials picked up, and 2 games. An hour. Because every game was as you describe. Not to mention the lost fights due to no audio, or hit-reg not working again (can you believe I've had nearly 18 pellets of Mozam + Hammer rounds not reg in the last 2 or 3 days?), or whatever nonsense you can think of. It's frustrating, and the lack of polish after a near two year stint for a developer that's well regarded is saddening. 

I like Apex, I hate playing it. Really sad that during S0 I'd play this game constantly averaging 56-108 hours a week genuinely enjoying it, to barely 10-16 hours a week for the past 4 seasons. 

View in thread

Message 28 of 29 (989 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert
@JonStriker126 That’s the basic Apex experience xD
Message 2 of 29 (945 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Koochi-Q

Yeah. And it kinda sucks.

Hell, a match or two after I made this post, guess what happened? I got into another "Trios" match where I only had one teammate. I guess I should be thankful they actually played, but man, this is getting nuts.

Honestly, I just want to be done with my pass, So I can take a break from this insanity.

Personally, S7 has been my least favorite season out of the ones I've played. The BP was more grindy, they want you to get even more treasure packs than last season to finish the Quest, I've had an uptick in games where I'm missing teammates, I hate the fact that there's no KC, And while I like horizon, I'm not too thrilled with Olympus (I like it better than World's Edge, but that's not saying much). This whole season has just been less than ideal from the get-go. At least for me.

Message 3 of 29 (941 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@JonStriker126 I think 1 in 7 games are with 1 or 0 teammates for me xD. Either right from the start, during flight or on touchdown.

I said the same to @GH0STEDbyME earlier today. I just need 16 to be done ;D But luckily I only do dailies but yea it’s ridiculous that you have to get more packs for the quest...

Luckily I don’t find the thing more grindy than usual as for most of this season I just did dailies or played with ppl. But I can understand why ppl feel that way, especially if you’re a player who likes to do their own thing instead of doing challenges.

Now that WE is here I’m playing even less xD. Screw that map. Hope you find joy in the game soon
Message 4 of 29 (916 Views)

@Koochi-Q

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Yeah, this season has been a struggle.

Like I said, the issues with the battle pass and quest. All that is just designed to keep you playing this game more, and it's not always a pleasant experience. So, that's been less than ideal for me.

Then, no joke, KC is my favorite map that we have, so to not play it at all legitimately stinks for me. We're playing a lot of world's edge, which was my least favorite of the two, now three maps. And Olympus has its own issues that I've discussed before another threads.

You pair all this with the amount of missing teammates I'm getting this season (as in, they're not even at the legend select screen), plus leavers and AFKers, plus the SBMM, server problems, and other issues that have been here for quite some time, It's all just wearing on me.

The thing is, before in previous seasons, I at least felt that the battle pass wasn't bad, I was usually at least getting both of my teammates in trios, and other small things. Things that made the game bearable (and dare I say, even fun), most of the time. But, this season, it seems like the bad from before is amplified, new issues have cropped up, and the positives just aren't enough that way the negatives anymore.

Honestly, I don't really know where I go from here. I guess I'm just hoping that maybe the mid-season patch will make things a little better or at the very least any sort of season 8 changes will make things better. Right now though, I can't really say I'm having as much fun as I did in season 6 or season 5. This is definitely been my worst season in terms of enjoyment level.
Message 5 of 29 (906 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@JonStriker126
"the one where I'm missing a teammate and the other goes AFK, happen far too often"

"most of the time you spend playing by yourself or you "drop and die" over and over again,"

These are the reasons why I quit the game, I keep dying to these for more than a year now, and the player base is not improving it is getting worse.

Everybody is doing their own business in this game,
A lot of complaints going towards Respawn to do something for the solo players, but they don't give a f**k, they just forcing the team play because the abilities of the legends are designed to be "team based"

That's okay, but if you SoloQ there is no such thing as a team and they don't really understand this

Every BR game I know has Trios, Duos and Solos, even they have Duo and Solo ranked

Here, nope, they just don't care

The game is like, "you either have a pre made squad or go f**k your self"

Message 6 of 29 (882 Views)

@JonStriker126 We all have those days and rounds. If you're having a ruff go, ping some place slow or semi slow or ask your teammates. I have found them to be fairly responsive about it.

Some days are just a grind, I'm not doing great today, yesterday I was posting 7-10 kills a round.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 29 (875 Views)

Champion

@JonStriker126  I think auto fill is meant more for people who are doing challenges, or the energy drink fueled ego charged super wraiths that think they don't need a team....and usually end up dead in an instant....or simply those who want a challenge.

Its in theory a step towards a less toxic team experience,which is certainly a good thing for the solo Q players. Whether it actually gets used is another matter entirely.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 8 of 29 (865 Views)

Champion
@JonStriker126 This isnt necessarily aimed at you but I see these comments a lot.

Could someone explain to me why, if you hate the game you still feel the need to complete the pass? It seems like each season people continue the cycle, only logging on to do stuff for the pass. Why?
Message 9 of 29 (850 Views)

[ Edited ]

@hayhor

Well, first, I will say that I never said I hate game, as a whole. I hate things about it, but I have said that, at its core, I do enjoy the game. How they do BR, the legends, etc.

As for why I was doing the passes before, it's because despite the games issues, I found enough positives, enough reason to play that I figured I might as well get some stuff from the BP, since I was playing the game so much.

This season? Well, I do like things in the pass and I did figure out I will finish the pass (after all the changes), so why not buy it, if I was putting in the work already? This was a bit of a "test the new system" season though and I don't much care for it. If it stays this way in S8, I don't foresee buying/completing that one.

Basically, I guess this all boils down to having a love-hate relationship with this game, these days. Much like I do with OverWatch. There are things I like about both games, it's why I still play them. But I recognize there are a lot of issues with them as well. And, I don't hate either of them enough to just uninstall and move on. I may play less per day/week/month/season, but that doesn't mean I want it gone from my life completely.

And, I guess there is a small part of me that's hopeful for the future. That OverWatch 2 will be worth it, so I keep up with OverWatch 1. That maybe I'll love S8 of Apex (like I did S5 and S6), basically just making S7 the exception, not the rule. That may be stupid, or naive or whatever, but it is possible.

All in all, I should say that I wouldn't play Apex (or any game) or be active on this forum if all I did was hate the game. There is love in there somewhere. I do enjoy this game, deep down. It's just some days/weeks/months/seasons are better than others.

Lastly, I will say that I do try to praise this game, as well as criticize it. Honestly, outside of the shield changes and a couple other small issues, I loved last season and same with the season before it. It's just this season has done more wrong than right for me (and many others, I assume, based on the things I've read on here, over the season). Honestly, I'm just hoping S8 will be better, like the last two seasons were for me. I guess that's part of what keeps me going.

I hope that answers your question.

Message 10 of 29 (840 Views)