Re: Yes to keyboard and mouse on consoles!

by LtHitlis

Original Post

Re: Mouse and keyboard support for console

★ Guide
mouse and keyboard players will be put in the same match as other keyboard and mouse players just like fortnite did it ?

idk why you're overly aggressive. you just sound stupid.

Message 41 of 117 (1,331 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
Calls him elitist first sentence "Guessing you're not that smart". Are you?
Message 42 of 117 (1,422 Views)

★ Guide

@xDark_KnIght2000 wrote:

@Le1te          This would split the player base go look at Sea of Thieves. They allowed Xbox players to not play with PC, now Summit1G a very popular streamer on twitch is thinking that games dead.

Does Sea of Thieves have over 25 million players?

Is Fortnite in trouble of dying fast due to splitting the player base?

(Even though that makes zero sense, as you increase the player base by enabling crossplay, thus even splitting between controller and kb/m you end up with MORE players in each server then if it was just left to rot on a single console alone with no splits, only possible exception is ps4 cause its selling like crazy and has like 100m players)

Message 43 of 117 (1,420 Views)

Yes to keyboard and mouse on consoles!

★★★★★ Apprentice

A few of obvious things. 1. There is no way as a console player would ever want cross platform on a FPS. Simply because of the ability to create hacks and cheats. From wall hacks, aimbots, to video card adjustments that make it easier to see opponents. Do a google search of “Apex Legend hacks and cheats” and the list is growing by the minute. 2. Splitting player base would never be a good thing. Game life is simply put by player base numbers. If you purposely split that you are decreasing it’s life expectancy on purpose.

I’m a 50 year old gamer that has been playing video games since before it was cool to play video games. I went through the whole line of systems. Atari, Atari 2600, Intelivision, Dreamcast, Sega, all the Xbox’s and all the PlayStation, pre-built PC gaming system, home built PC gaming system. I’m leaving out many others. So I’ve played with every controller and some high end gaming mice and keyboards. And simply put I “enjoy” keyboard and mouse over any controller. I know some of you love to sit on your couch in front of you large 4K tv and feel someone sitting at a desk a foot away from a monitor using a m/k (mouse & keyboard) will have an advantage. Your probably right, but is that my fault that you want to sit on your couch? Is that my fault you choose to use a controller that is less accurate then another one? Both Microsoft (Xbox) and Sony (PlayStation) have the ability to use m/k with there systems. It’s simply up to the game developers to include it or not. So stop with consoles are meant to be played with controllers. Today’s consoles are designed to be played with either now. Times change! I personally can’t wait for game designers include m/k in their games.

As far as all of you who say “then just buy a PC.” I’ve done that. But, a few things you have to understand about PC gaming. There is no equality when it comes to PC gaming. Someone with a better motherboard, processor, video card, memory, SSD drive, will have an advantage over your frames per second (FPS). Not to mention all the previously mentioned hacks and cheats that go with them. Plus the more components the more likely something will break down. Or the operating system gets a virus. Or one of the components of the computer won’t be compatible with the required drivers the game requires. I’ve invested in a lot of things in my life and the biggest money pit was when I was PC gaming. 

Sorry so so long but needed to be said. I’ve used a lot of different input devices in my times. Many have changed and I’ve made the adjustments without whining or crying about it. If change happens and you can’t adjust you have bigger problems to worry about then a video game. 

Message 44 of 117 (1,439 Views)

Community Manager

Have to say @LtHitlis that I do think that if mouse and keyboard is brought into a game then I like to see all m+k players playing against each other. I have a gaming PC and the various consoles and for Apex Legends I am playing on both PC and PS4 and enjoying it on both but my skill level on PC is far higher than on console thanks to the tools I can use. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 45 of 117 (1,438 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

This game has already has a huge fanbase, unlike Sea of Thieves, letting the guy with the joystick decide if he wants to play handicapped against mouse and keyboard players should be his choice.

I think in an opposite way of you, when this start to get flooded with keyboard and mouse players from the PC many people will leave, including me.

Message 46 of 117 (1,403 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I don´t think it should be a problem for consoles to use keyboard and mouses, BUT, if you´re playing a competitive game in a console with a joystick you should be only matched against people in joysticks.

If by some reason you with a joystick want to play against a mouse and keyboard user, it´s alright, you can do that, as long as you choose to do that, an example, play in a crossplataform match with friends on pc while you´re in the joystick, playing with your friend would out-weight the awful experience of playing against K&M players, great for you, you can do that if you choose to, but a lot of people don´t want to compete with people using a better tool for the job.

Just let the players choose if they want to play against K&M. Even if it takes a whole 3 minutes at the lobby waiting to find a match with joysticks only it would be worth it.

Most of this forums topic about this are players with K&M third parties devices wanting to squat people with joysticks, not even they want to play against other K&M, PC players. They just want the advantage.

Let´s hope EA don´t ruin this, the game is awesome.

Message 47 of 117 (1,421 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Darko wrote:

Have to say @LtHitlis that I do think that if mouse and keyboard is brought into a game then I like to see all m+k players playing against each other. I have a gaming PC and the various consoles and for Apex Legends I am playing on both PC and PS4 and enjoying it on both but my skill level on PC is far higher than on console thanks to the tools I can use. 

Darko

I understand what your saying. But do not agree completely. Do we seperate servers  for people who use high end surround sound headphones like Turtlebeach? They have an advantage over people who use just their TV speakers. Do we seperate servers for players using Elite controllers or Scuf controllers? Those controllers have an advantage over standard controllers. Do we seperate servers for those playing on an Xbox One X with a 4K tv or monitor with a faster refresh time vs someone playing on an Original Xbox One on a 720P TV? Same for the PS4 Pro vs the standard PS4. Do we seperate servers for those using an external SSD drive vs those using the internal drive? All these mentioned devices give the user an advantage over one who chooses not to use them. So we continue to coddle those who chose a less accurate input device then one that makes the game more fun to play for others. 

And let’s be honest, we are already playing against Keyboard and Mouse users on a regular basis via products like the XIM Apex or Keymander. Fortnite already attempted to block those using those products by forcing them against cross platform PC players. XIM had a work around firmware upgrade out within 48 hours to prevent that from happening. So if you truly want to balance the playing field just make input options a choice. Because even if you choose to seperate servers the controller players will still be playing against people using XIM’s and other controller emulators. So that’s not a fix either. 

As I’ve said before, I definitely enjoy using K/M over a controller, but I would NEVER play a cross platform game against PC players. Not because of any input advantage or skill advantage. But simply because PC players are plagued with hacks and cheats ranging from aimbots, wall hacks, god mode, just to mention a few. Just did a google search for “Apex Legend PC hacks and cheats” and the list filled the screen immediately. No thanks on playing with those guys! That’s the whole reason I came to console once both Sony and Microsoft announced that keyboard and mouse were both going to include input options on their console for game designers to use. 

Message 48 of 117 (1,402 Views)

★★ Apprentice
It would be too much to separate everyone by TV, headphones, and non-default controllers. That being said, controller vs m/k is not only a big difference, but an easy enough one for devs to detect and control if needed.

Separate servers for m/k would work but only for the games that have big enough populations to support the split. It would also cause issues when you start factoring in things like ranked/casual modes. Imagine PUBG with solo/duos/teams, then first person or third person, then also controller or m/k? It’s too much.

I say, save m/k for only single player, coop, and other non competitive games.
Message 49 of 117 (1,383 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

This conversation is getting old just allow mouse and keyboards already

honestly I am a person that prefers to play from a couch with surround sound  that being said I have two different xbox one x’s one in a living room hooked up to a 75” 4K tv top of the line tv and surround sound 7.2 then another one in a spare bedroom hooked up to a top of the line 32” monitor with Astro a50 and honestly my kd in every game is 100 percent better when I play on the monitor compared to the living room tv but I have way more fun on the living room tv 

moral of the story is there are to many advantages already on xbox to consider it competitive so this conversation has no merit the only reason you hear it in every game is because the try hards are all already playing on monitors with awesome headsets but get butthurt cause they suck with mouse and keyboards so they don’t want them to be allowed 

p.s. I only play on monitor when wife takes over living room tv

Message 50 of 117 (1,375 Views)