Before we get into this, I want to ask that this be as salt free, intelligent, objective and constructive a thread as possible. So here goes.
We're now getting more embers out of chests. Specifically large amounts of purple and lower. I've seen a lot of people saying its a bug and the usual, but then EA CM's saying it's not a bug, that was how it was intended to be. So ok then, that leads to some questions, and points made in their regard. Specifically for GM difficulties and crafting.
Also worth mentioning, the "..and crafting materials" was not a part of the "Freeplay and stronghold chests will receive increased drop rates for rarer gear" comments for the update notes at any point up until as the update came out. Meaning it was slipped in and added to the notes as it came out last minute. I know things can change and all that, but that leads to the first question.
• Nothing has been said about changing anything with crafting. So why do we need a pile of embers, on top of the pile we will already be getting from scrapping the things we get from that same chest, if there's still nothing to do with them?
• The normal amount we were already getting is more than plenty to supplement crafting sigils. And it's not like that was a small supply to begin with...
• Also, green embers are dropping, frequently, from freeplay and stronghold chests in GM 2 and 3. That ridiculousness speaks for itself.
• The epic tier is not what needs attention, at all. It's the tiers above it, which leads to the next point.
2) Crafting and RnG
• Part of the reason the RnG is so sporadic is that you have to take into account basically 5 things each time something drops: 1) Item type. 2) Javelin it's for. 3) Substats. 4) Rolls for those substats, and 5) The rarity itself. Making it essentially a slot machine with a blind crapshoot. Adding to that:
• The fact you can get higher rolls on some substats on an epic than a legendary is just sad. I know there are some stats on legendaries that aren't on epics, but still...
• That is solved by just simply having set minimum value rolls for each tier of rarity and having certain substats on certain item types.
3) 1 step forward, 15 steps back: legendaries and crafting.
• The way it stands now, scrapping a legendary yields 1 masterwork ember. The exact same as scrapping a masterwork item...
• It costs 15 masterwork embers for one masterwork crafting roll. So by that conversion rate in regards to legendaries used in crafting, we arrive at: 15 legendaries scrapped=1 masterwork roll... Does this require any further elaboration on how absurdly backwards this is?
Legendary crafting should have been a thing from the start. It's like they got to masterwork embers and blueprints and then just forgot about legendary ones.
An idea: So for masterwork weapon blueprints, you kill 10 legendary enemies with that specific weapon to unlock it. Why is it not just a continuation of rarity progression from there? "Kill 50 legendary enemies with this legendary weapon", unlock legendary blueprint for it. One legendary scrapped equals one legendary ember, "x" number of Lego embers (5?) equals one roll. Combats RnG giving dupes, makes grinding a little more rewarding, helps adjust for drop rates. Done, done, and done.
On that note, adding a reroll option in forge for a single substat on a piece would go a long way to help all this as well. Simply have a coin or ember cost for each roll, and lock it so that slot is the only one that can be rerolled for that piece from that point on.
If all this could be addressed and adjusted at some point, I believe it would do wonders for progression and builds for beginners, intermediates, and advanced players alike.
In closing, all this being said, the effort being put into all the fixes is greatly appreciated, and I hope it continues so that this game can finally become the game we all hoped and want it to be. Though it's been a rough road to say the least, Im still playing, and don't plan on leaving just yet. But that's also going to depend greatly on next months content, so here's hoping.
Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I appreciate it.
There is already another thread discussing this and I have posted there so I wont bore you by reposting the same thing here. You make some excellent points and I agree.
March - last edited March
Oh crap, I didn't know that. Wouldn't have made this if I did.... Oh well, too late now. Could you post the link if you have it?
@NinjaChef85 https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Embers-Bug-is-Game-Breaking-and-needs-more-attention/m-... . All good, I think this is a topic that will probably get a few more threads as well
March - last edited March
Or, right I remember now. I actually posted in there, but it was getting a little too salty for a calm discussion, so I wanted to do a more toned down thread with some focus, lol. But thanks.
@NinjaChef85 Yes it was, so I understand, but I think any thread on this hot topic may digress regardless.
better plan, remove crappy legendary drops from the game entirely, and make 3 legendary weapons that have nothing to do with masterworks, and attach the blueprint for crafting that legendary to a stronghold. kill the tyrant 50 times? heres a rocket launcher blueprint that does acid splash damage and leaves a ground aoe. kill the scelos tank 50 times? heres a support ability blueprint that summons a mini tank that goes off killing things for 60 seconds like a pet. kill the monitor 50 times? heres a warstaff blueprint that does fire, acid, and shock melee damage trifecta like the monitor.