Mod tools for 2042?

by HellspawnFTW

Original Post

Mod tools for 2042?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I am Battlefield veteran, been playing BF since 1942. Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 were amazing games, I played thousands of hours in either game. But to me the best part about those games were the Mod Tools. Anyone from the Era will remember how popular BF was because of Mods like Desert Combat, Galactic Conquest "Star Wars Mod" and Project Reality which is still popular today and lead to the development of the game Squad.

Has Battlefield remained a great franchise and a fun game since the removal of Mod Tools yes, but chocolate cake still tastes great with frosting, but why remove the frosting. In todays boring game development cycle and the turn over rate of games due to burn out. This could have been EA's shining moment, if they were to bring back mod tools it would create a dynamic shift in todays gaming market. Player driven created content would explode and make it so that Battlefield remains a strong game after the post launch hype ends. 

Listen I am huge HUGE battlefield fan, but battlefield is terrible at keeping players playing the game, we can sit here all day talking about how amazing BF3 and BF4 was but realistically after the first 2 - 3 months, that game felt dead. and Yes im gonna have some of you's going "well I play on full servers all the time blah blah blah" but have you ever noticed how few active servers there actually are... at peak hours your lucky to see maybe 20 - 30 populated servers. and through the slow parts of the day maybe 10-15.

If EA brought back Mod Tools it would consistently inject new content keeping the game going for YEARS...!!! and thats not an exaguration, anyone from my Era of playing BF1942 or BF2 will tell you not only did Mods keep us playing way past the typical expire date of die hard fan, but it actually encouraged a lot of players to buy the core game itself just to play the Mods. 

I do not think anyone whom played BF1942 would argue with this statement, that Desert Combat Mod was a superior game too the core game itself. MOST of my friends who purchased BF1942 did so to play Desert Combat / Galactic Conquest. Arguably still the best Star Wars game ever made, not visually but the game play itself. You could Literally fully use the AT-AT walkers drive "walk" them around fire the trubo lazers and it had a side hanger door that opened up to allow troops inside to jump out and fight, or the Mellinium Falcon that not only could you fly but your friends could walk around inside of it just like movies then use the 2 upper / lower turbo laser turrets. 

EA has even come close to offering that kind of game play ability in any Star Wars game to date and that was a free mod for BF1942. I think if they could find a clever way to monetize the modding community. It would be a massive success that will propel Battle Field and EA from a every 2 year few month one off to a juggernaut in the gaming industry once again.

Brushed Metal 4K small.png -=DDM Clan=- Community Since 1999 Join Today https://discord.gg/EAgDR3Cr

Message 1 of 14 (888 Views)

Re: WHY NO MOD TOOLS FOR 2042...!!!

★ Guide

My assumption is that many AAA companies (EA in particular) don't want to create competition against themselves. It may be more profitable for them to simply have full control on content creation and distribution.

Message 2 of 14 (874 Views)

Hero

I wouldn't expect any modding tools to be made available whatsoever unfortunately.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

AHQ Guardian - Volunteer Moderator

Message 3 of 14 (872 Views)

Re: Mod tools for 2042?

★★★★ Guide
@HellspawnFTW very unlikely that happens, also bf3 does have modding (venice unleashed)
Message 4 of 14 (865 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am assuming you are not old enough to have been around during Mod Tools, because if you were you wouldn't be saying that. Battlefield 2 was made because Desert Combat, Dice literally hired the Mod Team who made the Desert Combat Mod using their mod tools for BF1942... So instead of attacking something you have no idea about, why not open your mind up to the potential Mod Tools can bring and have brought in the past... Because if it wasn't for Mod Tools the BF series would have died off after the first game, That is fact...!!!

Message 5 of 14 (817 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@HellspawnFTW Like you pretty much just said that was a different time so it wasn't that big a deal, that was then and this is now.

Message 6 of 14 (806 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Mod Tools were a HUGE deal back then, The Battlefield Mod Project Reality was one of the most popular and longest running portions of BF2 history, And the Mod Team later on went and made the game Squads which launched a few years ago. I am baffled that you people do not understand how great it is to have player driven content. For example Galactic conquest a Star Wars Mod for BF1942, you could literally drive the AT-AT while having a squad of friends ride in the inside, then open the side bay doors and they would jump out blasters a firing into the main base on Hoth, or Flying the Millianium Falcon out of the Base on Hoth with your friends inside the ship walking around then manning the turbo laser turrets on the top and bottom of the ship. EA has never to the day provide such a fun in depth experience as a FREE mod like the Galactic Conquest mod team made back nearly 20 years ago. Mod tools pushed developers into not only making better games but were able to hire on some of todays best game designers from the Moding community. 

Not to mention how much content can be created for the core game itself. Imagine if EA decided to never take the time to put in Naval ship battles which they haven't done pretty well since BF1942 yet was an extremely popular feature, well a Mod team could literally come along and make that content you like. EA got greedy, they like the Call of Duty model which is make a game sell a bunch of copies, then let the game die off so you need to buy another within a 2 years.

Mod tool literally extended the life of BF1942 / BF2 for 3-4 years beyond what It should have. And I understand sure back then they didn't have a way to really profit off mod tools. But now they could with online digital purchases. Make it so if players wanna play on Modded servers they need to pay a monthly fee. I really wish you could have seen the dozens of amazing Mod that were created back then... Half of which back then would have been AAA titles.

I don't understand this mentality of less is better now.

Message 7 of 14 (795 Views)

[ Edited ]

@HellspawnFTW wrote:

...So instead of attacking something you have no idea about...

No one is attacking anything. Reading this thread you're the one who comes across as not having a clue.

The other posters are just being realistic. It's 2021, not 2005. Some companies make it part of their business model to embrace mods and make them a selling point. At this point in time, EA doesn't.

Message 8 of 14 (765 Views)

★★ Guide

There's also undoubtedly a huge gap between the Refractor and the Frostbite engines in complexity when it comes to modding.

Message 9 of 14 (757 Views)

@ElliotLH wrote:

I wouldn't expect any modding tools to be made available whatsoever unfortunately.

Exactly @ElliotLH . When the BF3 server code was leaked a few years ago it resulted in a lot of issues so I don't think that EA will release modding tools for future games. The era of community driven mods is unfortunately long over.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 10 of 14 (753 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help