Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Megathread - PVP

by EA_Cade

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: Respond Here If You Don't Want PVP To Ruin Anthem

★ Guide

@MEGAF1UX wrote:
its pathetic that this is still being discussed. ea should have come out and said flatly "there will never be pvp in anthem" by now.

It's EA, that decision will be based completely on $$$$.  If enough players are buying it, playing it, and enjoying it as intended they'll be no need to add PVP.  If they don't get the numbers and hear feedback that the reason they aren't making money is due to lack of PVP, then it will be in the game.  It's on us.

Message 60 of 418 (179 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice
I agree with this! I hated the Dark Zone. The idea was ok but in reality it didnt work because you would go in there for sweet loot and get smashed by someone who builds solely for PvP.
Message 61 of 418 (213 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

- Reward cosmetics only for pvp matches/currency. Titles, Armor customizations, Banners, Colors, etc.

I hated this about Destiny. The focus they had to play PvP to get certain weapons and gear was stupid. I liked the look of it and wanted it but didnt want to play PvP to get it. Destiny PvP was joke anyway. Lag was a massive factor in win/lose.

Message 62 of 418 (210 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Personally, I'm not against PvP... But I am against forced PvP. If PVP gets added, it should be made entirely optional. Perhaps a gladiatorial style arena, or special PvP only zones/servers that don't impact the main story or anything. I've played a few games which push all players into PvP zones at a certain point (or even right from the start!) and it always has the same problems of high level roaming death squads ganking newer players for a laugh.

PvP could work in this game but ONLY if it's an optional feature and not the main focus. Arenas, PvP specific maps, heck, even open-world duelling could all work just fine. But give players who don't want to engage with PvP the option to avoid it, that's all I ask.

Message 63 of 418 (209 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice
Please explain how PVP would ruin the game. It would be its own mode like the Crucible in Destiny and honestly PVP in Anthem would be rather fun particularly 4v4.

I bet you they will add some form of PVP at some point.

It won't affect those that still want to do PVE unless you just need to run with randos and maybe those numbers will be a bit lower but I don't think it will be that big of a deal.
Message 64 of 418 (206 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

@NormireX wrote:
Please explain how PVP would ruin the game. It would be its own mode like the Crucible in Destiny and honestly PVP in Anthem would be rather fun particularly 4v4.

It won't affect those that still want to do PVE unless you just need to run with randos and maybe those numbers will be a bit lower but I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

This all depends on how PvP is implemented. I think the OP is talking about a system where the open world puts you at risk of PvP encounters no matter what, with no way to avoid them (lots of games do that). PvP by itself wouldn't be a bad thing, but forcing it on people who just want to play singleplayer or co-op? That drives away customers.

Message 65 of 418 (202 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@NormireX wrote:

Please see the previous 60+ posts.

Message 66 of 418 (199 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Witherwraith wrote:

@NormireX wrote:

This all depends on how PvP is implemented. I think the OP is talking about a system where the open world puts you at risk of PvP encounters no matter what, with no way to avoid them (lots of games do that). PvP by itself wouldn't be a bad thing, but forcing it on people who just want to play singleplayer or co-op? That drives away customers.

That is NOT what I meant but that is a great example of 1 of the worst implementations of PvP I've ever heard. I meant that for the most part don't want time and resources developing PvP for the game. Also, with PvP, unless it is absolutely separate or just doesn't really matter (ala Borderlands where it was just funny to do in a team and all gear was just from PvE) the PvP side of things will usually bring down PvE in way of rebalancing weapons, armor, perks, abilities, etc... That's not something that most of the player base wants, or at the very least, not something I want (or the majority of people posting in here.

Message 67 of 418 (197 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
I like pie!!!!
Message 68 of 418 (194 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

@Sazabinitengale wrote:

That is NOT what I meant but that is a great example of 1 of the worst implementations of PvP I've ever heard. I meant that for the most part don't want time and resources developing PvP for the game. Also, with PvP, unless it is absolutely separate or just doesn't really matter (ala Borderlands where it was just funny to do in a team and all gear was just from PvE) the PvP side of things will usually bring down PvE in way of rebalancing weapons, armor, perks, abilities, etc... That's not something that most of the player base wants, or at the very least, not something I want (or the majority of people posting in here.

Ah, well, that's a valid argument. I will say that there are games in which PvP and PvE content have been done both concurrently and well. But it is just as true that development focusing too hard on one can result in the other feeling anemic. 

With Anthem, though, I don't think you need to worry. The game is almost ready for release as far as I can tell, and so far all of the development has gone into singleplayer and co-op, with no PvP in the game right now. So if we do get PvP down the line, I doubt it will have any impact on the singleplayer or co-op experience, as that will have all been finished off already. And I suspect the early patches and updates will all be about maintaining and expanding on those aspects of the game.

I still feel like there's room for PvP in Anthem but I do agree that it should not be prioritized over the current game's objectives. There aren't nearly enough good singleplayer/co-op experiences out there right now so Anthem has a big audience pool it can attract. All depends on how well the end result turns out.

Message 69 of 418 (188 Views)
Twitter Stream