Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

[Mega thread] Demo - general feedback

by EA_Ataashi

Original Post

Re: [Mega thread] Demo - general feedback

★★★ Guide

@ICEMAN_ANTHEM 

Thanks man! Glad someone enjoyed my "review" LOL!

You should come and check out our website at AnthemOutpost.com if you liked my "eloquence" :eahigh_file:

Thanks for the support Brosef!

STRONG ALONE, STRONGER TOGETHER!

@CoUF_SZKURZY

Creator, Developer, Designer, Main Administrator, & Chief Editor of AnthemOutpost.com

Creator & Head of the Coalition of United Freelancers (CoUF)

Member of the High Council of the Coalition of United Freelancers

Community Manager

Dispenser of Positivity, Encouragement & Inclusion

Clear Skies, Full Clips & Cool Afterburners Freelancers!

Message 221 of 229 (178 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Well, first i'll do a quick feedback regarding difficulty during the demo (most of others topic have been already passed down), well, to be honest, Anthem is not a hard game, even on the highest setting available during the demo, at some point the fortress could have even been doable solo (which is more difficult and fun, but very long)

Thought it might pose problem while the player is learning combo mechanics (fast to do) and find good pieces of gear (rely on rng, may be long), difficulty is just unexistent after thoses steps passed.

I know anthem is build up to make the player feel powerful when in javelins, i agree with that, but not for higher difficulty settings, where i would prefer trial and error, strategy buildings and cunning instead of getting better gear to unlock a difficulty level with more stats boosts.

This being said, here the ideas i submit related to AI improvement :

I know Anthem is a looter shooter, meant to make players feel powerful, so ennemies should not be too hard to kill, but AI is clearly not its best point.

Also since foes in the lore are evolving in a dangerous environment, i expect them to :

- play as team of AIs, not just each AI playing its script, few examples : since each AI of base soldiers know they tend to be weak vs javelins, they can spread up after spawn and cover each other to grasp time /

- take more aggressive approaches : well, being a javelin is nice, but just standing in ennemies that almost wont fight back or try to evade imminent death is a bit weird, i know few about the lore, but try to remember pretty much everything alive can fear death and will fight back hard if cornered.

- learning approach regarding players strategies : Well, i dont know if this part can really be applied to Anthem since there are probably tons of things i dont know about the game, lore, and expected behavior of foes as described in it. This said, the idea is to have a flexible AI, that can adapt regarding players teamplay, build, and strategies, moreover, regarding the size of EA and games it edits, it can easily have raw data about players to take a machine learning approach not only on Anthem but in other games too, in case you doubt of it, here what can an machine learning can do vs humans :

This one is a dark souls AI made by a player taking this approach, though it is far from perfect it is quite a nice example of what it can do with just the work of 1 person, i think :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65DWqqn5gE

Well, i dont expect Bioware to come even close to this level of AI, but i'll give it as point of comparison :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWbVseLiopw

Well, now let's cross fingers so that some day ennemies will be more than sandbags.

Message 222 of 229 (159 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@dahos93 wrote:

Well, now let's cross fingers so that some day enemies will be more than sandbags.

WE NEED BIOWARE TO EXPRESS TO US, THE COMMUNITY, WHO WITHIN THEIR RANKS HAS THE JOB/RESPONSIBILITY OF DEVELOPING/TWEAKING THE AI SYSTEM IN ANTHEM.  WE NEED TO KNOW HOW BIOWARE FEELS ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT THERE IS A PROBLEM AND IF THERE IS A PLAN IN THE WORKS TO ADD SOPHISTICATION TO THE GAME'S AI MOVING FORWARD BECAUSE THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM IN EVERY GAME.  Anthem has a huge opportunity, here, to lead the pack.  To do what no other developer has been able and/or willing to do.  BioWare, you can do it!!  We believe in you!!

Message 223 of 229 (138 Views)

★★ Guide

@dahos93  tl;dr except the very beginning. The devs already stated that the demo was not a direct representation of the final build balance-wise. Meaning at level 15 and max demo gear score (134 I believe was the highest I could get with all rare gear) you might not be able to solo a stronghold or generally feel as strong as you felt in the demo on hard mode. I'm hoping that the game is actually challenging enough to push us while we grind to get better loot

Message 224 of 229 (132 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@tenac wrote:

I feel like I'm not really connecting to the enemies. For example in destiny there is a nice pop on headshots and enemies respond to being shot. In anthem they just fall over. Melee attacks dont even feel like you're connecting to the enemy but their health goes down. 

I noticed this in the division recently, the final shot that drops an enemy has a special sound, the sound of the bullet ripping through flesh (it's a violent game to be sure).  But I totally get what you're saying and I hope eventually bioware will clean that all up because players do notice this level of detail and it is about being connected to what you're doing. 

Message 225 of 229 (122 Views)

★★★★ Novice

If this is gonna be a loot game as stated. Make the loot feel epic when you get it. For example, right now you get loot out of a chest on occasion and the loot just shows as a ribbon down on the lower right of the screen. It's rather boring for a loot game. I'm sure there must be rarity tables somewhere. 

I don't know, maybe have different types of chests so when players see a particular type of chest drop ya know there might be some ultra rare item in it so the Ayer is excited before they ever open it just wondering what's inside.

Again if it's a loot game and that's the path for this IP. Find ways to make getting loot diverse and fun. I'd suggest the more epic feel you can put into getting loot the better off the loot game will be. There should be epic drops that make people willing to run and re run content. WoW did a great job with this. Look at their time walking Drake for example. Uber item, rare, people want it and will farm. A loot game needs epic items.

Just a thought that might help. Maybe this is already implemented in the full game. 

Message 226 of 229 (95 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@bulletw1st wrote:

@GuruChaz wrote:

These EA shills are insane if they put these overpriced microtransactions in the game after consumers caused their stock to bail. Do they have a financial death wish?

https://youtu.be/7IKs4d5oj04

Yeah.  Just checked out your link to Angry Joe's reaction to $20 skins in Anthem.  Wow.  EA must already be convinced that Anthem is going to be the most popular game ever.  Skins have to be like $4 or maybe $5 for an Epic that's super-cool... that makes you look like a demented bunny or something crazy.  I don't want to see Javelins that look like Fortnite characters.  BioWare is all concerned about nothing distracting us from the gameplay... well... and so why would anyone wish to pay $20 for something you can customize in the forge to some degree?  Maybe if you're able to create custom symbols because you're in a guild you can charge maybe $10 to access an "advanced" editor and plug in a bunch of parameters so that everyone in the guild has exactly the same thing (color- and size-wise).  This IS LAUGHABLE!  $20.  lol  Other games can get away with it because they're *free to play* and didn't already cost me $80.  That said, if future DLC is free, and I'm lovin' it... I'll buy stuff from their store to support the devs.  But they need to prove themselves, first.

Agree completely. $4 sure, I'd pay that. $20? no way.

Message 227 of 229 (81 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Ataashi wrote:

Hello Freelancers,

The "Demo season" is still on and we know that you have a lot to say about that small part of Anthem universe, which you've already got a chance to experience.

To keep things a little bit less messy before the Open Demo weekend, we created a few feedback mega threads:

We'll also be moving around and merging topics, which you've already posted, so apologies in advance for any confusion caused by this.

And most importantly - thank you for your support and constructive criticism so far. Hope to see you on the field soon!

Your friendly Cypher,
/Ataashi

Hi Ataashi - wanted to say my initial impression of Anthem after playing the demo was.... WOW! I was just blown away. I wasn't expecting that AT ALL. Almost didn't even download the demo, I figured this was just another run of the mill shooter looter like Destiny, etc. Holy Cow I was wrong!. There is something just plain Amazing about the flying and movement in this game, and the 3-D environment is fantastic!  You guys hit it right-on straight out of the gate!  Well done, and I'm really looking forward to launch. Anthem has excited me like no other game for years. So much so that I cannot even turn on my Xbox... no other game is of interest. I want Anthem!

One item of concern - there is some talk of maybe adding PVP to Anthem... Please, please, please do NOT do that! Thus far, Anthem is a co-op game with a great community developing of helpful assistance, etc. (where gamers will want to spend $ on microtransactions to show off to other players and their buddies!). Adding PVP changes the overall dynamic of the game, even if the change is subconscious. I know, in some back part of my mind, that if I help a stranger, I may later play against him in PVP and suffer for it.

* I was a dedicated Destiny players for years and thousands of hours. I saw first hand the decline of the franchise as they changed the game based on PVP balancing... please do not go down that road.

And the simple truth is that if a developer is spending time on PVP content (maps, programming, etc.) then there is less time and resources available to dedicate to PVE content.

Anthem looks GREAT thus far, please maintain focus on PVE and missions/ solo play opportunities.

No PVP in Anthem.

Thank you!!

Message 228 of 229 (81 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Demo was good I can't wait for 22nd to get here,  I strongly recommend that they don't implement PVP it's a detriment to games if they do put it in I hope that borderlands 3 is out so I can have something to play because I won't be playing anthem if they add pvp bottomline .

Message 229 of 229 (72 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help