Re: Matchmaking

by zWolfishGrin

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

I totally agree on this.

The matchmaking for this game is terrible.

90% of the games I played it was either our team was completely smashed by players with much higher ranks or our team was steamrolling enemies, if we had high ranking pilots on our side.

Unfortunately, matchmaker is not giiving us challenging gameplay with equal opponents.

Is it really hard to have players about same level to play with the same levels?

Message 11 of 19 (1,010 Views)

Intent with rank and matchmaking?

★★ Apprentice

I like how queueing with a squad increases the likelihood of facing similarly organized opponents. That works well. However rank appears to have no bearing on how players are matched. I don't know if there are plans to adjust this or limitations preventing that, haven't seen it discussed.

Matches I enter solo - or with less than a full squad - are very often the first-ever Fleet Battle for one or more of the other players. I've been dealing brutal lessons to people who probably don't want them. Over and over. If the balance is against us, I'm compelled to instruct my teammates on how to play.

To me it's obvious that a necessary aspect of ranking players is to let them play with others of comparable skill. I played against a squad today that had all completed placements already and had K/D ratios above 1, with four single-digit leveled players on my team. I want to ask, what is the point of rank? I would rather wait longer to find better matches.

Message 12 of 19 (944 Views)

Re: Intent with rank and matchmaking?

★ Pro

Here's a couple recent dogfights that were so bad I had to write them down.

First game:

My team: 15, 4,1, 43, 25.

Other team:5, 5, 3, 7, 3.

Predictably it went 30/3 in our favor.

The very next game:

My team: 58, 5, 43, 44, 54.

Other team: 5, 2, 4, 3, 16.

The other team gave a pretty good showing, but we won 30/18.

Message 13 of 19 (926 Views)

Re: Intent with rank and matchmaking?

★★★★ Apprentice
@Kanrei13 this is the exact reason why this broken match making and forced cross play for console players has killed this game so quickly.
Message 14 of 19 (896 Views)

★★ Guide

It might help to queue with players you know. I would say stay with a 3 man squadron because any hight and there are match making issues.

Message 15 of 19 (875 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Merc_SecurityThat's not really helpful for people who don't have any friends or any friends who are playing this.

On PC at least, it's INCREDIBLY hard to even 'friend' people from inside the game. You only have a few seconds at the end to REMEMBER their player id tags, and try and search for them.

At the very least the menu / networking team should have allowed for people to see players from past matches, and friend request from within the game.

Remember this is a cross-play title; what might be easy on one platform might be broken, missing or very hard on another. 

Message 16 of 19 (857 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yes it helps to play with a squad. Searching for games with a squad also makes it much more likely to face other organized squads. I think that part works very well. But unless both squads are full, there is a good chance you will have someone who has never played a Fleet Battle join the game. I'm always finding first-time players in my ranked matches, let alone players with only a few matches under their belts. I just reached Legend rank, but what's the point if I'm still playing with and against complete noobs?

Message 17 of 19 (841 Views)

★ Guide

Okay, so Update 4.0 this morning (Saturday 12th December) in Australia. On PS4, with cross play enabled, and have spent 40mins trying to find a game, but getting timeout error messages every 10mins...still! Fracking fixed nothing still! See all my previous posts over last 7 weeks. This should NOT be happening! 

Yesterday, I managed to play one single quick match dogfight early evening...the first game I was able to get in weeks. Then not able to get another game all night....in either quick match, dog-fight, or fleet battles....what the actual frack? Prior to update 1.3 I was getting almost zero wait time. Was able to play people all over the world with zero lag or issues. They supposedly tweeked server settings that did nothing but completely frack it up for me. How has this not been addressed yet? WTF are the programmers/developers doing? I have new ships & cosmetics I can look at but can’t fly! Frustrated beyond belief.

So, NO absolutely NOT Game of the Year....tweeks have absolutely FUBARed this game, and I have never felt so much disappointment, anger and frustration at a gaming company as I do now for EA! All I want to do is play.

Message 18 of 19 (814 Views)

★ Guide

Still can’t get a game. See attached pic from this morning! Do you think 8 weeks is a short or long time to find a game? Would you be frustrated if you were in my shoes?

Message 19 of 19 (760 Views)