Match making

by Emilisc0

Original Post

Re: Match making

★★★★ Novice

@asukojo wrote:

I understood the steep increase of matchmaking, it could be overwhelming.

Ideally we have matchmaking based on skill but this is very hard to measure:

- Matchmaking on level doesn't represent skill.

- Matchmaking based on stats doesn't represent skill.

- Matchmaking on previous performance doesn't represent skill. 

Probably they need to take each of those 3 category and weight it 25%, 25%, 50% and get more reasonable matchmaking.

I think the best indication of skill would actually be something like (Kills * KCoef + Wins * WCoef + Damage * DCoef) / (TotalXP)

I used coefficients here because I'm not sure using actual XP from Kills/Wins/Damage is a good idea because they probably wouldn't be balanced properly.

Time survived doesn't really indicate a good player, just a cautious one. Somebody who's lived for 20 hours and done 4000 damage could suck, but also could just drop really cold and and/or have good teammates. Honestly wins could maybe be ignored as well, I got carried to victory twice last night with 1 kill and like 100 damage.

Maybe just (Damage / DamageTaken) would work actually, although then technically a noob on a good streak could be scored the same as a pro.

Message 11 of 16 (201 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

If someone wants to play with a friend that is on a different level of experience, how will matchmaking address it? Separate them? What if someone wants to play defensive or support instead of offensive? How will matchmaking properly balance the differences between the styles of playing and the choice of legends? It's really complicated to get the "right" formula, as game sense, skills and team composition are almost impossible to measure, and those are key to this game.

There are many videos of really good players making rookie mistakes, some even getting a toxic punishment because of that. Apex Legends is much harder than other shooters, constant training and warm ups are a must to maintain a certain level of performance,  while the highly competitive level of this game will always drive a lot of frustration out of its players. Something / somebody  will always be to blame, be it rookies, matchmaking, balancing, hitboxes, weapons, etc..

I'd honestly prefer to have some additional choices, like randoms squad only, friends squad only, pro level only (requiring certain level, a number of wins, badges, hours of play, average damage and survival, etc.), rookies only (maybe less teams dropped, more time for rounds, more high tier loot).

Message 12 of 16 (192 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@slimeq666 

I like where you heads at but kills per game average dmg per game and win percentage needs to be in there somewhere because the way you currently have it is time played is the most important 

Message 13 of 16 (187 Views)

★ Novice

I agree with this guy here... I would like to play Apex in Solo mode like ever other battle royal

Message 14 of 16 (177 Views)

★★★ Expert

@WhiskeyandMilk 

Solo mode for Apex would be just like removing the rooks and knights from chess because you don't want to play with them. Team work is a core pillar to this game, which also sets it apart from other BR games. Legends and map are not balanced for solo mode, which will generate many more complaints. It's not worth spending the effort in this direction.

Message 15 of 16 (160 Views)

★ Novice
idk man its free to play it has low graphics requirements which means there is a lot of players on this game. I dont see a good reason why there shouldn't be a solo mode. Apex looses players because of this issue.
Message 16 of 16 (144 Views)